Am I bad for this??

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that's horrible. I don't think smoking or drinking makes you a bad pet owner (I smoke and all my animals are very happy and well cared for. Yes, it's a powerful addiction, but when it comes down to anything my animals need or cigarettes I'd always choose my animals over my guilty pleasures.) However, most of all you've said beforehand were red flags, and now they've gone and forgotten about the little kitten!
I've known too many people who've fallen in love with a kitten or puppy and then forgotten about it when it got older. What would they have done if the cat got a UTI? Developed behavior issues? Needed grooming? If the litterbox was so full she started peeing outside of it?
I don't think you're bad. I think you've got your heart in the right place. I sure hope this adorable little kitten doesn't go back to them.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's bad enough people who are crappy parents have kids. Why should crappy pet owners be allowed to have cats. At least we can stop the crappy pet ownership.
K.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well folks heres another update. The girlfriend finally texted me last weekend asking about the cat. I called the guy at the shelter and he said she had been spayed and everything but was sick so they were holding on to her. I texted the g/f (Krissy) and explained the situation. Well tonite I got a voice mail from Mike from the shelter and he said the kitten is ready and they can pick her up at PetSmart Saturday. I texted Krissy about this and she texted me back saying she couldn't come but that Shane would. So I'm saying the odds are at least 50% that he won't show up (and we can adopt her to good people). So heres hoping he won't show up.....

strakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope that the people don't show up. But lying for the greater good......I don't know.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another update to the continuing saga. It turns out she wasn't available and they never picked her up at PerSmart because she was still having the diarhea problems. Anyway, the shelter still has her because she had been sick. I talked to Mike at the shelter Wednesday and he said she has some kind of chronic digestive problem. Shane called me that night and I told him they could pick her up Saturday but told him about the condition and that its possible she might require special (more expensive) food or medicine the rest her life. He said he'd discuss the situation with g/f and I told him to call me before Saturday if they're interested so we know to bring the kitten to PetSmart. Well, he never called me.....so I guess they're not interested anymore because of her condition and that she might cost them additional money. Oh well....we'll eventually find her a good home.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello (sorry didnt read like 3 pages worth of replies so sorry if i repeat anything..

In my opinion it could go one way or the other , they forget about a pet and this kitten goes to a good home and is loved with decent toys , food , affection warmth ect.. or they could shrug there shoulders then get another one..
You are not rotten , either way your getting the get in good health and to a good home

Jess x

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read the entire thread, but I read enough to get the gist of it...

Judging from what you're saying, they'll lose interest as soon as they find out the kitten needs special medical attention - which is definitely better for the poor furbie. Those people do not deserve any pet.
I hope they never have any kids. If they have no concern over a kitten, they sure as heck aren't gonna care about their kids, either..

I don't usually condone dishonesty, but in this case, I would lie like crazy just so they lose their interest in the poor baby.

She's just adorable!
I hope she gets better soon, and finds a loving home with peeps who really WILL love & take care of her!

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

Well I have these really stupid, irresponsible friends that just got a kitten. She used to be a stripper and now she works at Subway, he doesn't work at all and has had three jobs in the last year that he has lost. They're the type of people that never have any money.....yet miraculously always have money for the "important" things, ie booze, smokes, etc.

Well I cringed when I heard they got the kitten because I knew she'd have no chance....they wouldn't spend the money on shots, or getting her spayed, etc. because that would cut into their booze/smokes budget. So I told them I'd have the shelter get all this done for $50 which they agreed.

So now a lady at the shelter has the kitten and she is getting all the shots, getting spayed, microchipped, de-fleaed, checked for leukemia, FIV, etc. The catch is that they will not get the cat back for 10 days (i was unaware it would take this long) and then they have to go through the adoption process and fill out all this paperwork- even though she is technically their cat. (the lady at the shelter had to lie and say this was a feral cat otherwise they wouldn't do all this stuff so cheaply).

The lady at the shelter (Sandy) and I are hoping they forget about the cat in the meantime so we can find her a GOOD home. She even joked that we should just lie and tell them the cat has leukemia and not give her back. Is this bad? The bottom line is they're getting $300 of work done for $50. I feel bad cause they won't have their cat for 10 days- when they thought it would only be a few. On the other hand, these are exactly the type of irresponsible idiots who are the cause of the overpopulation of feral cats. So what do y'all think? Am I a rotten person for this?
No, I don't think you are rotten but don't you think that they will just go and get another kitten if you don't give them the spayed one back. Better they have a neutered cat I guess.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

Another update to the continuing saga. It turns out she wasn't available and they never picked her up at PerSmart because she was still having the diarhea problems. Anyway, the shelter still has her because she had been sick. I talked to Mike at the shelter Wednesday and he said she has some kind of chronic digestive problem. Shane called me that night and I told him they could pick her up Saturday but told him about the condition and that its possible she might require special (more expensive) food or medicine the rest her life. He said he'd discuss the situation with g/f and I told him to call me before Saturday if they're interested so we know to bring the kitten to PetSmart. Well, he never called me.....so I guess they're not interested anymore because of her condition and that she might cost them additional money. Oh well....we'll eventually find her a good home.
wow...how ironic. Her medical problems may have saved her life!

I sure hope you find a good home for her. She is absolutely adorable. Poor thing, having digestive problems

btw, I would have totally lied to them. I've seen what happens to animals "cared" for by irresponsible owners who party all the time. I've seen a kitty get fed ecstasy, beer, had marijuana smoke blown in its face, etc. When people are partying and drinking, they think it's funny and don't care. It's not a safe environment for a cat, or any animal for that matter. This kitten's name was Noah. His story has a happy ending though. The girl gave the kitten to her parents (probably around the time she got pregnant...she was like 19). The parents are family friends and very nice people, and the cat is doing well now.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input folks. I pretty much gave the shelter permission to find another home for this kitten. These idiots had their chance last week. If they really loved the cat they wouldn't care if she had a disease and would require extra care/ money. But apparently they don't. I'm sure she'll get a good home. There are actually people that seek out special-needs animals...they're true saints. This one lady I know of only has leukemia-positive cats! Great to know there are people like that out there.

KristyKitty, our shelter actually had a kitten that the idiot owners were giving alcohol. Very sweet black kitten with tons of personality. This has a happy ending too, as he got a good home.