Alnutrin and fish oil

TortieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If using Alnutrin with eggshell calcium, should I add fish oil to the food? If yes then how much and what kind/brand of fish oil is best? Do I need to add anything for fiber?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You don’t need to, but you certainly can. I add it to my cats’ food because they’re older: 19 and 9. The older one, in particular, has severe arthritis, and I try to do whatever I can to help.

I use Iceland Pure Sardine and Anchovy Oil. https://www.chewy.com/iceland-pure-pet-products-unscented/dp/159831

I’ve never added anything for fiber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TortieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory thank you, you’ve been very helpful with all my questions!
I’ve been reading up about krill oil and I think that’s what I’d like to use for them. My Max is a big guy, 16 lbs, so I think krill oil be good for his joints. I’m just not sure yet how much krill oil to give, and if I need to add it to the meals daily or to the batches of food that I’ll be making. If he will even eat it :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TortieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats a good point, I’ll look for pet krill oil and what the directions suggest

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add a little fish oil to the food I make with Alnutrin. As Tobermory Tobermory says, any kind is fine, just follow directions.

I used to add a little plain pureed pumpkin to the food for fiber but stopped doing that last year. Both our cats get Vet's Best hairball prevention tablets instead; it has psyllium seed plus good stuff like a little slippery elm bark and marshmallow root, among other things.