Ally is injured! Need prayers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where is her bruise? Is it external?
Internal.

She has soft tissue damage in her neck. Not life threatening, will definitely heal, just painful for her for the time being.

As an analogy - getting shot or stabbed also qualifies as soft tissue damage.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got to read this thread! I just wanted to say that I am very happy that Ally is okay!
I hope things go well for you and Ally in the future. You seem like a really nice guy, but I have to say... I don't think your family has it right about pets (You do). Good luck getting out of there soon. So glad about Ally again.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She hissed at me today! geez.

I took her out of her crate to give her the pain meds and she tried to squirm away because she wanted to play (but I couldn't let her). Somehow she moved her neck the wrong way in doing so and I heard, "MEOWWWW!!!!!! *HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS*" at me. Made me feel kind of like she hates me.

She's only hissed at me one other time, a couple weeks ago in the middle of the night when she decided to attack the lump in the sheets (which was my foot) waking me up and startling me. The lump moved really fast when I got startled and I think it freaked her out because I woke up and immediately heard her hiss.

Is this all just her normal knee-jerk reaction to either pain or fear? Do your cats ever hiss at you?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

She hissed at me today! geez.

I took her out of her crate to give her the pain meds and she tried to squirm away because she wanted to play (but I couldn't let her). Somehow she moved her neck the wrong way in doing so and I heard, "MEOWWWW!!!!!! *HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS*" at me. Made me feel kind of like she hates me.

She's only hissed at me one other time, a couple weeks ago in the middle of the night when she decided to attack the lump in the sheets (which was my foot) waking me up and startling me. The lump moved really fast when I got startled and I think it freaked her out because I woke up and immediately heard her hiss.

Is this all just her normal knee-jerk reaction to either pain or fear? Do your cats ever hiss at you?
LG - I wouldn't take it personally. She may think YOU caused the pain, not understanding what's going on - but once she's all better, she won't remember this ... It's like when I accidentally step on a paw or tail in the rescue... the cat yells and hisses at me... five min. later they are back over to get some lovin'.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh noo do not feel offended!!! hissing is a reaction to pain a lot of times, and it doesn' even have to be directed at you. Jake hisses at random things like spiders he sees, random things he finds on the floor that he is scared of..He hissed a lot when the refrigerator door hit him once on accident, he arched his back and hissed at me every time I got near him for a few minutes even though I had nothing to do with his accident. He was just in pain and it's a defensive mechanism ....She does not hate you!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do seem to love me - and I've gotten a hiss or five! Like Addie said, she, or mine, are giving a little warning that something hurts, and stop doing that! Whatever is doing that! Then, a few minutes later, it's all "Mommy I love you, keep brushing me!" I've even gotten the odd nip now and then when I've petted too long or in just the wrong spot...never actually broke skin, but it's like they're teaching a kitten to behave.

My two will groom each other in the middle of the night and it's all affection and alternate grooming - til there's suddenly a loud hiss and someone jumps off the bed! A minute or two later, everybody's lovey-dovey again.

Honestly, it's like having a kid - you know things are getting better when they want to play and they're lively enough to be mad at you for something! Wait til she's big enough to yowl at you for something - I've accidentally stepped on a tail and was firmly admonished.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely don't take any hissing personally. It's the only way she has of letting you know if a certain movement is hurting her. Think of it as her saying "OWWWWWWW."

Remember, in her cat mind, there's not a whole timeline of events that preceded this. It's just that being moved THIS way hurts RIGHT NOW, and she's got to make that known, right away.

One of my cats has a very curmudgeonly personality. He hisses at me fairly regularly, and often what instigates the hiss is something I don't even have anything to do with!

I know he loves me. He just needs to say it with a hiss sometimes.

Humans grumble about people we love, too.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When one of my cats was allowed to explore the apartment for the first time, the bathroom steam pipe hissed and he arched his back and hissed back at it.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Remember, in her cat mind, there's not a whole timeline of events that preceded this.
I forget about that sometimes. She just seems so smart that sometimes I forget about stuff like that.

You all were right about the hissing. She went right back to wanting love and affection almost immediately afterwards.

Today, she's doing exceptionally well. I started slowly easing her off of the opiate pain med last night b/c I don't want her to get addicted (plus at the max rate I'm allowed to give it to her, I'll run out quickly) and I tested her neck out - not by moving it myself as I knew that wouldn't be a good idea - but I held her in ways that would prompt her to want to turn her head this way or that to look at my face. I only got a slight squeek of pain when she moved her head all the way up and back to look at me. No signs of massive pain which is good. I've kept her in the crate for the last few days, only taking her out to clean the crate, give her the option of using her standard litter box, and also to give her some love. I put a call into both vets offices that dealt with her to ask if that is an indicator that perhaps in another day or so I can switch her from not being crated, but instead being in my bedroom with the furniture and her toys removed (so that she can't jump around on anything except maybe my bed for her to sleep on).

She hates being in the crate and hearing her cry for me to take her out is difficult.

I've also made alternative plans for her while I'm away on my trip. I decided not to board her with the vet, but instead asked my best friend if she'd be willing to take care of Ally for a week. My friend loves animals and spent years working at the humane society taking care of them. I trust her with the new key to my room (she's about the only person I trust to touch Ally right now).

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update, and it's so good to hear that she's doing better. The hardest thing will be listening to her cry to be out and doing - just like with a child - you've got to be strong for both of you, and it's no doubt hardest on you.

That sounds like a great idea about your friend - has she already made friends with Ally, or can she maybe come by before you leave to be introduced? I bet being at home with familiar scents will be good for Ally - leave some nice smelly tee-shirts for her, as I think she'll want to curl up in them while you're gone.

One thing, which I bet you thought of - you might want to leave letters of authorization with your vet(s) if any medical attention (God forbid) is needed while you're gone, so that your friend or family will be able to get immediate help for her.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
has she already made friends with Ally
yep. They get along fine.
She met Ally when Ally was really young, and saw her again about 2 weeks ago.

One thing, which I bet you thought of - you might want to leave letters of authorization with your vet(s) if any medical attention (God forbid) is needed while you're gone, so that your friend or family will be able to get immediate help for her.
I wouldn't be destined to be a decent attorney if I hadn't already taken care of that.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are so funny about this stuff. Last week or so, my grumpy one was squinting his eyes in the morning, like they were bothering him for a second. Then he came over to me in bed and swatted me! Obviously because he thought I was (magically) causing it.

Maybe they see us as omnipotent, so anything that happens at home has to do with us.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this the week Lawguy was going to visit Minneapolis and their law school? I remember he was setting Ally up with a very skilled caretaker who was going to come to the house. Agree, though - I'd love to see picture of the little girl, and more, to hear good news about her recovery.