All 6 feral cats have stopped eating

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy for you that everyone is well on the mend!!

Regarding an appropriate supplement, this would be a good question for one of our most fab experts  @LDG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm so happy for you that everyone is well on the mend!!

Regarding an appropriate supplement, this would be a good question for one of our most fab experts  @LDG
I don't think Laurie has been on her in a long time. I was hoping she would have some ideas on what to give my colony.  Twice this week someone is throwing up again and I just got them to the point of eating and feeling a little better. I still haven't found a supplement yet that would boost there immune system.

Also I was told the L-lysine that I give them does not help with the Calicivirus, is this true?

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I don't think Laurie has been on her in a long time. I was hoping she would have some ideas on what to give my colony.  Twice this week someone is throwing up again and I just got them to the point of eating and feeling a little better. I still haven't found a supplement yet that would boost there immune system.

Also I was told the L-lysine that I give them does not help with the Calicivirus, is this true?
The Use of Echinacea in Dogs & Cats

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=24+1306&aid=1347

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lysine actually doesn't do a thing for either of the big uri's, herpesvirus or calici.

What it does help with over time is strengthening the immune system, which in turn can help with outbreaks.

This is why younger cats/teenaged and kittens are unable to get some amt of control over the flareups, but as the cat matures, so does their immune systems, which then are able to have some control over keeping the virus in check. Until of course something causes extra stress, then an occasional outbreak will flare.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lysine actually doesn't do a thing for either of the big uri's, herpesvirus or calici.

What it does help with over time is strengthening the immune system, which in turn can help with outbreaks.
Hi @catwoman707.  

I wanted to comment on this.

To my knowledge, lysine does not do anything for the immune system and that there is a reason for administering l-lysine specifically for FHV-1 (feline herpesvirus) based on early studies on the relationship between l-lysine, l-arginine, and FHV-1. Supplementation of lysine increases l-lysine concentration in the body, which supposedly weakens arginine's growth-promoting effect on FHV-1.

Taken from http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/cms...22042/140124130454/Dr-Mundy-Lecture-Notes.pdf (page 4).
Lysine therapy

Arginine is an essential amino acid for replication of viruses, lysine antagonizes the availability or utilization of arginine. In vitro replication of FHV-1 is suppressed by 80% when the lysine levels are doubled. The mechanisms that cause this are thought to be:

a.  Lysine substitutes for arginine during synthesis of viral proteins.

b.  Arginine and lysine competitively inhibit the transportation of each other.

c.  Lysine induces arginase enzyme which degrades arginine.
Of course, there are lots of other studies, articles and book entries on this subject that can be found, but I tried to find something not so technical. 

FCV (feline calicivirus) is a different strain and I believe it is not as responsive to lysine supplemention, but I cannot locate a source for this. I have been giving my calicivirus kitty lysine since he was first diagnosed (via specific blood test) and he never had a relapsed. If he was flaring up badly and an increased dose of lysine didn't do the trick, I'd probably temporarily add in Vetri-DMG. They used to only have it in liquid form, but it contains preservatives, so I'd probably opt for the tablet now: http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900380090

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try feeding raw chicken to them? My cats do well on raw meat when they do not want to eat anything else. Or when they get upset tummies. I am glad they are doing better. Thank you for caring for them. Please keep us posted on them. I usually buy 10lb bags of chicken leg quarters which include thighs and drumsticks, I rinse them and then plate them up for the cats in a large tray.

Last edited:

feralkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just saw your topic...I hope all is well with your colony now. I'm sorry about the dog incident, that sounded awfully stressful for them (and you!). I know you're a good caretaker and want to protect them. They are lucky to have you!

Sometimes the cats rule us and we have to give them what they like or they'll hold out and wait for their favorite food. I hope everyone's eating well and feeling healthy. They sure can worry us!

Please don't feel left out, feel free to PM me anytime. I think the care you're giving your furry friends is commendable!