Albino Hairless Sphynx

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I own Sphynx and am friends with breeders, but don't breed Sphynx personally or any breed of cat. However, to me, It is just common sense that without the ovaries, one cannot get ovarian cancer. Also, a catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s chances of getting pyometra when in heat goes down to basically nothing since heats are no longer an issue, and pyo is more common than one would think in intact cats and can be deadly, just like cancer can be deadly.
Same with testicular cancer, once you remove the testicles this concern is no longer there. The risks for those types of cancers and for pyo are completely eliminated after spaying and neutering.
Also, mammary tumors and prostate tumors are no longer a concern when spayed or neutered. And the problems like spraying by males goes down a lot when fixed. Also, the birthing problems that could come about for mom and kittens is none when the cat is spayed. No heats to deal with either. There are a lot of other benefits I haven't listed here either but sure you have heard of those, behavioral and health. Most of the time altered animals make better easier pets for their owners and less chance of worrying about accidental litters.
Ya know

Just some thoughts. I am not anti-breeder by any means, just pointing out some reasons for the benefits. Your cats are gorgeous btw.
I do understand the whole theory behind what you're stating, but in my experience there isn't much substantiated fact. My breeding experience with bengals spans more than a decade and in that time, not a single cat has developed cancer of any form, let alone rare one's such as testicular or ovarian.
I've had 3 queens Pyo in 10 years. Yes, it's a problem, but not a major one considering how many queens we've had over this period of time. Obviously spaying would eliminate this altogether, but then there would be no bengal kittens.

There just really isn't much evidence that cats in a responsible breeding program are at a much higher risk of health problems than altered cats.
These diseases like cancer usually don't present themselves in healthy breeding animals, with good pedigree's. The animals are bred for a short period of time, altered then retired to a wonderful long pet life.

Nature intended for animals to breed, that's why they have reproductive organs. It wouldn't make sense nor allow the species to thrive and continue on , if the reproductive organs were a major cause of fatalities due to cancer, etc.
I really think reproductive cancers in cats are due to poor genes and other environmental factors.

Just my 2 cents based on my experiences.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I've had 3 queens Pyo in 10 years. Yes, it's a problem, but not a major one considering how many queens we've had over this period of time. Obviously spaying would eliminate this altogether, but then there would be no bengal kittens.

My thoughts are it is a major problem if that was a family pet, for instance, I only have one cat, the cat having Pyo would be a big deal to me. Better to just not subject the cat to that at all.

The animals are bred for a short period of time, altered then retired to a wonderful long pet life.
Then the observations aren't intact cats for life...I am glad to hear they are only bred for a short amount of time then retired to live the life of a wonderful long pet life

Nature intended for animals to breed, that's why they have reproductive organs.
Cats don't live "in nature" anymore. Esp. the purebred cats, they are selectively bred for certain things and usually kept in people's homes.

But this is not on topic, and neither nor. I guess we can discuss it in PM or in another thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is your true opinion of a true albino?

Originally Posted by Sol

I highly doubt you have true albinos. What color are the parents?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kevinva

What is your true opinion of a true albino?
Cats that lack eumelanin and phaeomelanin completely are albinos. In cats however all the pointed patterns (sepia, mink and colorpoint) are variants of albinism. True albinism however is extremely rare in cats and I belive most people that think they have an albino cat are wrong in their assumption.

White cats aren't albinos even though many thinkt they are.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do understand the whole theory behind what you're stating, but in my experience there isn't much substantiated fact. My breeding experience with bengals spans more than a decade and in that time, not a single cat has developed cancer of any form, let alone rare one's such as testicular or ovarian.

There just really isn't much evidence that cats in a responsible breeding program are at a much higher risk of health problems than altered cats.
These diseases like cancer usually don't present themselves in healthy breeding animals, with good pedigree's. The animals are bred for a short period of time, altered then retired to a wonderful long pet life.

Nature intended for animals to breed, that's why they have reproductive organs. It wouldn't make sense nor allow the species to thrive and continue on , if the reproductive organs were a major cause of fatalities due to cancer, etc.
I really think reproductive cancers in cats are due to poor genes and other environmental factors.

Just my 2 cents based on my experiences.
This bit interests me, as when Blackie was diagnosed with mammary cancer, I did some research, and wrote an article on it, and I think one of the sites I found said it was the second most common cancer, and I did wonder about that, and whether pedigrees contributed that, as what I found was that cats spayed before their first heat is 200 times less likely to develop it, and this decreases with each heat until they are 2.5yo, and it seems that a lot of adults in breeding programs are spayed after this age, so surely they are at as much risk as an unneutered cat? As the average age for developing it is 10, would breeders be aware if it happened in one of their ex breeders who had been sold as a pet cat once spayed?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

this decreases with each heat until they are 2.5yo, and it seems that a lot of adults in breeding programs are spayed after this age, so surely they are at as much risk as an unneutered cat?
I'd imagine that refers to cats cycling in and out of heat continuously though, where breeding cats are monitored and mated at the correct times.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Stripe had borderline Breast Cancer. She had to have a Nipple and Breast removed. They sent it to Uc Davis and it had Cancer Cells in it. It started to come back a month later and was removed again. She was fixed and was 4 at the time. It was worth the money to save her. I lost her at age 11 to Crf after doing treatments for a year. Stripe was a feral we saved.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm glad you didn't leave our site there in the begining, yikes. I do think we could be a little more kind to people looking for advice. At least he isn't breeding domestics because he doesn't want to fix them.

I think you are a great person for asking for advice and caring about your cats. If you joined this site you obviously care about them. I hope you have recieved some constructive advice and don't take too much to heart. We've all been there.

I don't know anything about breeding, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. If I were you I would start the contract thing. To have the cat spayed/nuetered by 6 months and to return the cat to you, if for any reason, the cat needs to be rehomed.