Albino Hairless Sphynx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will post pics tonight

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I've seen sphyxes, but I've never touched one. Is it true that they feel like warm velvet?

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I've seen sphyxes, but I've never touched one. Is it true that they feel like warm velvet?
Yes they do or a warm peach. They are the peeerrrrrffect kitty IMO. My sister was over for dinner Saturday and she said we need to wipe the cat hair off the kithen table. I said "those are scratches on the table I don't have cat hair"!!! Who would think that with 3 cats in a house their would be not an ounce of cat hair to be found. Greatness....

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love my 2. They are the most affectionate pet I have ever seen. My male (named Harry haha) and my female leila love to sleep together all curled up in a ball at the foot of my bed.

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mine love to be rubbed on the face real hard.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I disagree with the "rough" description. The only rough Sphynx that I know of usually have health issues or allergies. Sphynx should be very smooth and almost feel like a silk shirt or warm peach. I think the descriptions are all relative to the person doing the feeling, though. Either way Sphynx are great. My male is even sticky when he sweats because he is so hairless. It is funny when he has been sitting in the sun, you have to almost peel him off the leather sofa. haha

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to add that unspayed/unneutered cats are at a much higher risk of developing cancer and other health problems.
I don't think this is true for cats in breeding programs. (whether Kevin has a program or not)
Health problems are associated with whole cats with no opportunity to breed.

Never the less, I'd be interested to see any documentation you can provide to show that whole cats in breeding programs are at increased risk.

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 2 are both light in color so i try my best to keep them out of the sun. On the shady side of my house i have one of those window kennel things that hangs on to the window seal. They love it

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've petted and handled several show Sphynx and none of them had a smooth/silky feeling to the skin - it was like suede. I guess "rough" is not the right word I wanted, but it's certainly not velvet or smooth

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i wanted a sphynx but my hubby freaks out everytime he sees sphynx photos

i love them though

btw i've heard that albino cats may have a health problems, especially with hearing. i know for sure that white cats with blue eyes are usually deaf

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine is very healthy, great eye site and excellent hearing. He comes when i call him and attacks my finger everytime i move it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynxes are a fascinating breed, a breeder here told me that they eat a lot as they lose more body heat than a furred cat, so burn off the calories quicker

True albino cats are unusual but usually have eye and ear problems, however brown based cats (chocolate & lilac) can have a slightly pinkish cast to the pupil whereas black based cats (black & blue) are a deeper black. The pinkishness is more obvious in colourpoint kittens giving a slightly pinkish cast to the iris also. So although I have no idea of the pedigrees of the parents, I would guess from your description of a white kitten with pinkish eyes that you more likely have a chocolate or lilac point kitten than a full albino.
The parents would both have to either be or carry both brown and colourpoint for this to happen, and to either be or carry dilute for a lilac point, but it would account for the kitten's description - see if his ears and paws start to darken over the next few weeks, lilac will be less obvious at first being a very pale colour
As all the genes involved are recessive, they can hide for several generations so it is possible the parents carry these genes even though they haven't had a kitten that colour before.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sphynx definantly have a high metabolism in order to keep themselves warm. In fact most breeders recommend a high quality kitten food thru out their entires lives. Mine go thru dry kitten food like crazy. They are always are eating.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me

i wanted a sphynx but my hubby freaks out everytime he sees sphynx photos

i love them though
See, you (well your hubby) have (has) to see them in person
photos just aren't the same. My husband and even I felt the same way, until we actually met some, now we live with the breed, and so do several friends and family members

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Never the less, I'd be interested to see any documentation you can provide to show that whole cats in breeding programs are at increased risk.
I own Sphynx and am friends with breeders, but don't breed Sphynx personally or any breed of cat. However, to me, It is just common sense that without the ovaries, one cannot get ovarian cancer. Also, a cat’s chances of getting pyometra when in heat goes down to basically nothing since heats are no longer an issue, and pyo is more common than one would think in intact cats and can be deadly, just like cancer can be deadly.
Same with testicular cancer, once you remove the testicles this concern is no longer there. The risks for those types of cancers and for pyo are completely eliminated after spaying and neutering.
Also, mammary tumors and prostate tumors are no longer a concern when spayed or neutered. And the problems like spraying by males goes down a lot when fixed. Also, the birthing problems that could come about for mom and kittens is none when the cat is spayed. No heats to deal with either. There are a lot of other benefits I haven't listed here either but sure you have heard of those, behavioral and health. Most of the time altered animals make better easier pets for their owners and less chance of worrying about accidental litters.
Ya know

Just some thoughts. I am not anti-breeder by any means, just pointing out some reasons for the benefits. Your cats are gorgeous btw.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kevinva

Never looked at it that way cococat. I will talk to the wife about having them fixed before they leave. Scan hearts? They go to the vet twice a year other than that we feed them quality cat food.
Hey, that is awesome
Thanks for considering this! It would be great if you could fix them before they leave your home, that way you know 100% sure no doubt regardless of where they go during their lifetime they will not be producing more kittens upon kittens. They will just let spoiled pampered pet lives.

Scanning hearts is something some Sphynx breeders do to get a better idea of HCM in their lines at that time of the scan. You can google that and Sphynx to get more information on all of it.

Now for those pics

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not wait to get my Cat. My Stripe had borderline Cancer in her Breasts 2 times and she was fixed. They had to remove one Breast and Nipple. She was 4 when it happened. I lost her at age 11 from Crf. My Sphynx will be fixed and microchiped. It also comes with Shots and food and a Blanket. I cant wait to get it. They are due in July and will be ready in Nov. Anyone have ideas for a name.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt you have true albinos. What color are the parents?