Aggressive pregnant adopted cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

packroc2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just had the two, although the dark kitten died Monday night. We're not sure what happened [emoji]128542[/emoji] Our male cat (Alex, fixed) has been very maternal toward the white kitten. He is always cleaning him and laying with him. He hasn't been at all aggressive towards him. But this morning he kept stealing the kitten from the mama! He would grab him by the scruff of the neck and run into the other room and cuddle and nuzzle him! I have them separated now, but mama is howling because she wants Alex with her! I don't even know what to do other than hope the howling stops, and check on the kitten often to make sure that Winter doesn't do anything to him in order to be with Alex!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She just had the two, although the dark kitten died Monday night. We're not sure what happened [emoji]128542[/emoji] Our male cat (Alex, fixed) has been very maternal toward the white kitten. He is always cleaning him and laying with him. He hasn't been at all aggressive towards him. But this morning he kept stealing the kitten from the mama! He would grab him by the scruff of the neck and run into the other room and cuddle and nuzzle him! I have them separated now, but mama is howling because she wants Alex with her! I don't even know what to do other than hope the howling stops, and check on the kitten often to make sure that Winter doesn't do anything to him in order to be with Alex!
Yeah, some co-mother is often useful, and no problem if they are friends.  But sometimes there happens such complications...

And you are right, the mom must go first, and her maternity rights.

Sorry for the little  Darkie.   Such happens.   RIP, Darkie.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe you can let the cats all be together at times when you are there to supervise, and encourage the male cat to snuggle with the kitten in the same room with mom. Or take mom into another room to visit with the male but away from the baby for a few minutes. Some sort of compromise for a few weeks. It sounds like your male cat wants to spread the love, but you are right to be concerned, as the baby is not a toy. Good luck! :)