After you cat died.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

our 1st cat, doc, was very ill. we had to have him put down, I went to work, my husband took doc to the vet. when i got off. I pulled up at our house, Marvin was carving doc's name on a wooden cross he had made. He looked at me and said, "I have lost my own father, but I believe this is the hardiest thing I have ever done!" we both cried, as we set the cross at doc's grave. Marvin said, "Nothing will be able to ever get to him, I took one of my boot boxes, I wrapped doc in a towel, put him in the box, then I duct-taped it one way and then back the other way." !
I was actually doing really good reading these stories & not crying until I read this story. Very touching!!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put Sassy in a small box and buried her in my grandparent's backyard next to their old dog that passed away a long time ago. We even planted flowers in front of her grave.

R.I.P Sassy.

wonderbean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i had our bradley cremated, i wanted him to be here with us and safe. i have read horrible things about what happens to pet after they are gone and i didnt want my little man to go through that. it wasnt cheap but worth every penny. i think i would have rather have been able to bury him in a special place, but apartment living doesnt give you that option. all in all i am very happy with my choice and feel that he was treated with the most respect possible. and i get to say hi to him everyday.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I was actually doing really good reading these stories & not crying until I read this story. Very touching!!
I know! I cry after reading them too! Thanks for your response, sorry it made you cry! I am crying as I type this too! carwashcats Monique

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tucson is sitting right beside me in his urn. I still don't know what to do with his ashes. Maybe when I find the right place to scatter him, I will do that. My other animals have all been buried in the backyard. We have a very old lilac and it serves as the marker for my animals' graves.

princesstiffany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have all my past kitties and doggies burried in my yard. My first cat, Sassy, still has her cross up. She died in 98. And my chow, Cujo, that I had for 14 yrs lays in a grave lined in rocks and a cross(he died in 02). The hardest thing was looking at a dog you grew up with, and having to throw dirt over him. I'll never have a pet to fill that void.

You're in no way weird for doing that though...bringing them home to lay them to rest that is.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of our dogs and cats are buried in the back yard of our previous house (we just moved). When we buried the first cat there (Little Mom), we planted catnip over her and that plant has thrived and spread over the years. The other cats are mostly buried near by. We are going back to dig up some of that catnip and bring it to our new house. I figure that the cats have put life into that plant and by bringing it with us we are bringing some of their life with us.

We have had 3 cats cremated and put in urns over the years: the first love of my life (as an adult) Hippocrates. The first love of my husband and my married life Max, and my best buddy Bogart (my avatar). These were closer to me than most and I couldn't bury them somewhere when I knew someday I'd move from them. Their urns are in my china cabinet next to the family heirlooms.

My husband and I learned the hard way when we buried our 85 pound dog Jethro that you need to wrap them in a towel, blanket or place them in a box. It is simply impossible to place dirt over their bodies directly. He and I have never cried so hard and hysterically in our lives than the moment we tried to cover his body. I recall kneeling on the ground near his grave and blinding shoving dirt on top of him because we were crying so hard we couldn't see what we were doing. When we lost Tyler a few years later, it was easier after we wrapped him in his blanket.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little abyssinian Tommy was wrapped in deer hide, and my husband added sage for protection. Tommy was given a indian cerimony by a friend of ours. I planted a huge garden that year, and asked Tommy to watch over it. Our garden was huge that year! It was such a success, everything turned out, and grew huge!! I had giant pumpkins, squash, and tons of corn!! Tommy's magic was in that garden that year! I planted Lavender over his grave.

Bubba my sweet boy was cremated. He was my best friend. I know he is in a good place, his ashes are all I have left of him, and I can't let him go right now.