After Today's Ultrasound and Meeting with the Vet...I've chosen to do the colon resection invasive s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peaches08....You were writing me as I was giving an update:) Check my post to all of you, thank you for checking in on me it means a lot.

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad to read this update, have been wondering all morning. Very happy the surgery went well and all looks good. I don't know anyone whose cat went through this, so cannot comment on life after this surgery, but I'd do the same under similar circumstances. Continuing to send vibes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of a cat personally that has done this surgery, but I think Dr. Pierson did it for one of her own.  I would imagine that there's going to be some recovery then trial-and-error on diet to see what will work best with what's left of her colon.

For now, I'm relieved that she's OK after surgery and hope her recovery goes without any hitches!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear Nala's surgery went well.

Personally I don't know of anyone's cat who had the colonectomy, but just reading about it there is an adjustment period. You may have to work out some sanitary issues as there might be some leakage problems, for example. But other than that it seems most owners are very happy once the dust settles. No more running around worrying every couple days about when your cat is going to poop, no more counting days, no more timing cisapride before meals, no more regretting that slight overdose of Miralax.

I'm sure Nala will do just fine. As a suggestion, if she has a favorite toy, bring it to her. The scent will pacify her. If you have an old t-shirt of yours that hasn't been washed, see if you can take that to her, too, for use as sleeping nest.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad she made it through. I know what it was like when my little dog had a stroke. The waiting and wondering is awful. You can finally get a good nights sleep. You need your strength to help her recover.[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news! I hope the healing goes well and Nala is out of the woods soon.

For whatever it's worth, my friend's cat swallowed about 2-3 feet of string from a cat toy she chewed up. She had all that string wrapped all around her intestines, the vet first suggested euthanasia, but my friend was beside herself and they went with surgery. They removed quite a bit of intestine and colon. Long story short, her kitty is fine now with no complications.

I wish the same for Nala :vibes:

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AbbyNTim, Peaches08, Wasabipea, Historian, GoHolistic, Raintyger, Bonepicker, Katruble and JClark...Thank you ALL for thinking of us, it was a scary morning waiting for that call  to come from the vet no words can describe it but a huge relief....The vet just called me now a few minutes ago and gave me another update on Nala for the evening....He said she is sitting up staring at everyone walking back and fourth and is on pain medications and feels no pain yet. He gave her morphine along with a shot for pain that lasts a week. She is alert and on an IV. She has not drank any water and he will try her with a little food tomorrow. I am going to see her at 900am tomorrow morning so I will give you ALL another update when I get home from seeing my baby girl.

Peaches08....I don't know of any cats either who have gone through a almost complete colon resection myself other that what my new vet shared with me about the ones he has done and they all were a great success. What I read it says its a good outcome the most that can happen is a loser stool than normal. My vet explained to me that it is a very fine line of how much colon to take, if you take to much the cat remains constipated and cant go and if you take to much then you deal with a lose stool the rest of the kitties life so it is very difficult. Time will tell for my kitty, I guess If I had the choice I would rather my cats stool be loser than constipated and not able to go for over a week. I just hope if it is loser she keeps it in her box I have cleaned vomit for years I don't want to clean lose stool:( Thank you for kind thoughts and I am sure it will be trial and error to come to adjust the change in her life.

Raintyger... Thank you very much for your advice and sweet words to me, I need to do some reading now on the post resection surgery and get prepared for what is to come as I will also talk to the vet about what to expect. I believe she will remain on wet food but he did say depending on her stool he may add fiber to bulk it up but will have to see how stools will be...I felt also that stool may be loose and leakage etc. My mom said to put littler boxes all over the house so I panicked asked the vet if I needed to do that he said no she will go in her box. I am concerned about leakage esp I have carpet so I will be watching her closely I guess I wont be free of that duty yet I hope some day soon though. He did mention he may continue Cisapride and stool softener for a little while to see how things go but it sounds like it all will be discontinued I wouldn't think she needs them anymore I sure hope not...Smart thinking, I was bringing her favorite blanket she sleeps with to her or one of my T Shirts:)

Bonepicker...  I am sorry to hear your dog had a stroke not sure how long ago it was but I hope your doggy recovered well and is healthy...It is literally like waiting for a verdict to be read instead of guilty or not guilty its dead or alive it is horrible. Then your heart drops when you hear the vets voice on the phone ready to tell you the scoop. I am exhausted and going to bed soon ill be up early to go see her in the morning and I cant wait!! I want her to know mommy has not left her and that its ok she will be home soon. My home is lonely so lonely without her and my daughter is on a vacation with her dad and family so this next several days wont be easy. I think the cat and my daughter get home the same day....Thank you so much for thinking about me...

Wasabipea...  Thank you for reaching out to me and I to hope Nala recovers well. I cant believe that cat swallowed all that string and had to have a resection done?? WOW is all I can say god bless that kitty those are lucky parents...I will see Nala tomorrow morning and give all of you another update..

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AbbyNTim, Peaches08, Wasabipea, Historian, GoHolistic, Raintyger, Bonepicker, Katruble and JClark

Happy Sunday to everyone....

Just a quick update on Nala one day after surgery...I spent an hour with her in the room today and she really looked good for a cat that had 10 inches of colon removed. She was more then thrilled to see me as she buried her head in my long locks of hair as she loves to do when I hold her. She had an IV in both front legs for pain meds and fluids. Vet said he gave her a little wet food and she gobbled it down and wanted more which was a good sign since she has not eaten in days, I just hope when she gets home that continues. Her eyes were still foggy you can see the anesthesia was not fully out of her system her icy blue eyes were dull today. She was trying to jump on the counter which was something she has not tried to do in a few years but she wanted on the counter in the room we were in but of course that would rip her tummy open. She walked around the room meowing looking at me and sitting in my lap. She even laid on the floor and stuck her paws out underneath the door so cute not sure why she did that...After about an hour she began to swallow a lot I think she got nauseous so the doctor gave her a shot for nausea and took her back to her cage to rest. If all goes well she will hopefully be home Tuesday, he said she has been a real trooper through all this. The vet took photos of the colon that he removed and it was full of stool and he had just cleaned her out with a colon flush 3 days prior and she was that full again. Vet also said when he opened her up and examined all her organs he could see that the stomach was digesting the food and sending it through the small intestine properly so it was definitely the colon wall was not working to push it the rest of the way. He explained to me when she gets home her stool will be diarrhea or lose for a few weeks then it will begin to firm but this process may take 6 to 8 weeks or so but should not have accidents and go in her box. The food regulation will also be a trial and error period so that stresses me out because I am tired of the meds, the vomit the constipation the babysitting the litter box changing of food etc..IM TIRED...Just want peace and normalcy I hope it happens soon but it seems it wont be that easy when she gets home after a surgery like this...

Thank you all again for caring it means the world to me, It is amazing how you don't have to know people to feel like you know them:) I will give you another update if anything changes which I hope it don't but if not when she gets home and see how she does....

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great update! So happy to see Nala is recovering well and will hopefully be home soon.

I understand how exhausted you are with food issues, medication, and litter box babysitting. It's very tiring and impacts so many areas of your life. But there is light at the end. Hang on to that! Also, regarding the food, has your vet talked with you about brands or varieties that she might tolerate better, considering a very large chunk of her colon is gone? I am wondering if a lower fat brand might be good during this time, but I really don't know. And maybe try feeding her more, smaller meals, which might help minimize vomiting.

Continuing to send vibes your way ...

katruble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So good to read your updates on your kitty Nala. I will continue to pray and think of you all as she heals. I hope that soon all goes well for a little more normal life for you all.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news!  Another thought when you bring her home:  have throws/towels over the couch or any fabric-covered furniture that she likes to get on.  Just in case she has an accident when jumping up onto the couch.  Gadget had small accidents of this type when he had so much diarrhea (due to something in the food he was on).

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ms. AbbyNTim hello my dearest:) Yes it was a very good morning for sure. Vet said if it was us, we would have been on our backs for weeks but cats are up and about it is weird I don't get how that can be but you would not have known this cat had 10 inches of colon removed 24 hours prior. Yes I am exhausted for the last few years of it all and now its far from back to normal it will take about 2 months or so he said so I will deal with it, it is not her fault as a mother I will do what I have to do for however long it takes...I hope you are right about the light at then end of the tunnel and I hope this surgery works. I don't know what the percentage is that this surgery doesn't work on all cats, I've researched it cant find anything but I will ask my vet...Regarding the food I know she will never have dry kibble again only wet, He said when I pick her up we will discuss what food we will start out with and that it may be a trial and error thing till we find the right one, we also have to see what the bowel does if its loose firm etc....Pain in the butt process is what I am getting from him but no choice. I asked him if he had a brand in mind he said he was working in which one would be best. I told the vet I read on line Eukanuba low residue is a good brand and he said yes he needs a low residue diet but does not recommend Eukanuba brand he will get it all figured out for me, I will let you know when I know...She may come home tomorrow I think Tuesday if all goes well, he was suppose to call me with update tonight but did not so I guess he got busy since he is on call all weekend...I am sure she is ok or else he would have called for sure....more smaller meals sounds like a good idea. I never fed canned food before in 11 1/2 years this is a first so to me a half in the morning and a half at night seems like so little to me. How does a cat keep weight on with wet food? With dry kibble they always have it to nibble on through the day but wet food they eat in one sitting and nothing till the next feeding...That confuses me I feel like it isn't enough food then again I don't know how much to feed her to keep weight on her....So many changes stresses me out....

Thank you please do keep the positive vibes coming we need and appreciate them:)

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Katruble thank you very much and yes I pray to for a more normal life for the both of us because I am so tired but I know the post surgery stress comes with it between her bowel adjustment and food so I have to do what a mother has to do and I will deal with it as it comes. I just pray this surgery fixes her problem that is all I ask for and give her longevity and quality of life she deserves...

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peached 08 thank you for the advise because when I think I have all bases covered I forget things. I will have old towels in place for her. I read on line to have a few litter boxes around the house but I told that to the vet and he told me I don't need to do that, he said she will go in her box that she wont be losing her bowels all over the house...I sure hope not I will be worried when she gets home running behind her but every where she goes lol...Maybe I will take a pair of my daughters underwear and pin them on her lol....Already tried that a long time ago but it wouldn't stay on and she hated it....

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great update, the fact that she "wants" to get back to her old routine - even if it's not really possible yet, is a great sign!

May you both continue your journey to wellness, and this will soon be a distant memory :)

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wasabipea....Good morning to you, It seemed like she was happy old routine type of thing and NO she cant get back to her old self matter in fact vet called me this morning and said I can pick her up today at 400pm. He said NO running jumping nothing that she must be watched closely for 2 weeks lifted on and off beds. I must confine her in a small room if we leave the home so she can not jump. The are two sets of stitches used inside for her colon and the stomach wall he said and if those rip open by either poo or her jumping she will be rushed back in she will get very sick and emergency surgery happens so of course I am panicked but she will be watched like a hawk. I have a laundry room where I keep her bed, box and food so if I leave she will stay in there with her night light and radio till I get home but after 14 days she should be fine to return to normal activities which as a strictly indoor cat that is not a lot for her...

Thank you I hope to continue this journey of longevity and quality with wellness and YES I hope I am as lucky as most for this surgery to be a success and it be a distant memory, thank you for caring and staying in touch...

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Home again, home again, ra, ra, ra!

Great to hear everything went so well.

I was wondering if a raw food diet might be the right thing? I would not recommend it until the dust settles and she is healed. But it would have high nutrients which she'll need since there's less time to process food, plus since the colon is shorter there's less chance of bacterial poisoning. And there is not much waste created at all! Raw fed kitties usually poop every other day.

Do you have something like cat stairs? If there's a high place that she likes or perhaps the washer/dryer since she'll be in that room, maybe providing a way up will avoid the issue of jumping.

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raintyger, Katruble, AbbyNTim, Bonepicker, Historian, Peaches08, Wasabipea, JClark and GO Holistic

Happy Monday Morning to All....The vet called this morning and said I can pick Nala up today around 4pm and bring her home. He said she ate again today which is a great sign from a cat that didn't eat for a week and she passed a small stool not firm not watery so he was happy it was not all water, lets hope it continues. She will be on A/D which is a recovery food after surgery for one week to see what her stools do in order to determine what type of canned food to use. He also stated she is in a danger zone for 14 days because she is stitched in two places internally and if those stitches open she will need emergency surgery so she must not run jump nothing, she must be watched closely and lifted on and off beds. If we leave the home I will have to put her in my laundry room to confine her for her health safety. The laundry has a night light it is where her bed, box and food/water is. I always confine her in there when she vomits so its big enough but not to big...That is the update so far, time will tell the rest on how her bowel does, how often and what food will work. I have not slept in days since she has been gone and my daughter on vacation, I have driven around all hours of he night I am not use to the silence and no one in the home, I got a taste of being alone and I did not like it at all so half my home will be with me tonight and my other half will be home tomorrow make it whole again.

I will keep everyone posted on her progress...

I need advice from anyone with a cat that had a colon resection done. I need to know what is the BEST canned food on the market that she needs to live on the rest of her life from here on out once bowels are stable. What is the BEST brand and What is the BEST flavor for her needs. I have goggled and found nothing your help with this would mean everything.....

Thank you

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raintyger....The vet called this morning and said I can pick Nala up today around 4pm and bring her home. He said she ate again today which is a great sign from a cat that didn't eat for a week and she passed a small stool not firm not watery so he was happy it was not all water, lets hope it continues. She will be on A/D which is a recovery food after surgery for one week to see what her stools do in order to determine what type of canned food to use. He also stated she is in a danger zone for 14 days because she is stitched in two places internally and if those stitches open she will need emergency surgery so she must not run jump nothing, she must be watched closely and lifted on and off beds. If we leave the home I will have to put her in my laundry room to confine her for her health safety. The laundry has a night light it is where her bed, box and food/water is. I always confine her in there when she vomits so its big enough but not to big...That is the update so far, time will tell the rest on how her bowel does, how often and what food will work. I have not slept in days since she has been gone and my daughter on vacation, I have driven around all hours of he night I am not use to the silence and no one in the home, I got a taste of being alone and I did not like it at all so half my home will be with me tonight and my other half will be home tomorrow make it whole again.

I will keep everyone posted on her progress...

I need advice from anyone with a cat that had a colon resection done. I need to know what is the BEST canned food on the market that she needs to live on the rest of her life from here on out once bowels are stable. What is the BEST brand and What is the BEST flavor for her needs. I have goggled and found nothing your help with this would mean everything.....

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raintyger.....I was wondering where you have been. I am glad to hear from you. Funny you mentioned the washer/dryer because when she was younger she would sail in the air on top of the washer then jump into the laundry basket that sat onto of the dryer next to it and snuggle in the smelly clothes:) It use to amaze me how she sailed so high then into a basket but Nala stopped jumping on counters and the washer/dryer years ago I don't know why she must realize she cant do it? I am not sure why and now she waits for us to pick her up or put her on the bed. So I think my laundry room is safe because if not I you would be right my laundry room would be a danger zone. I can put things on top of the washer/dryer just to be safe but I am positive she wont try but oddly enough she was trying to jump on the counter where the vet was standing 24 hours after surgery he couldn't believe it, maybe she was high on morphine:) I will take precaution for sure but that is the best place to keep her smallest place in  my house or take her to Grandmas to be babysat...Either way I will make sure she is safe and heals.

About the food. I wish I had time to do raw but I don't I would if I had to but I cant cook rabbit I would die that is so sad:( The vet said once we have her bowels situated I can feed her what I want so does that mean I go back to feeding her science diet like I did many years ago before her colon got bad? What does feed her what I want mean? I have to talk to him but if you can research or know a brand of wet food that is BEST for post surgery for cats for life please advise me as soon you know I would appreciate that my guru friend. R.I.P. Poppy<3

This all confuses me this has not been easy now the next phase begins. I am a very OCD person, I am a planner and analyzer I always have to know what is going on and a plan set In place so this is stressing me out  because I have no idea about any of this what to do etc. I have goggled but I cant find anything on the best foods to use....

Help!