After Today's Ultrasound and Meeting with the Vet...I've chosen to do the colon resection invasive s

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi siameselove03,

I'm thinking perhaps the yellow vomit and the sleep twitching have to do with the new, shorter, colon. Perhaps Nala's system needs to get adjusted to the new length. Since it is shorter, there's less length for bile to travel up. The sleep twitching may also be due to new digestive cycles. I remember someone telling me they would get cravings for Chinese food late at night. They'd go ahead and order it and eat it late at night, around midnight or a little later. Then they'd have weird dreams because their stomach was still working on the food.

The Cat Site has a special forum for raw feeding. The members there can help you. They know so much more than most vets. That is why raw feeding forums developed, because owners found traditional vets don't know that much about nutrition. Your vet may try to discourage you from raw feeding; in fact, the official AVMA position does not support raw feeding. So you should seek advice from both your vet and members from the raw feeding forum. I would, however, wait until Nala's system settles down to a new "normal." Even kitties without medical conditions need to transition slowly. Probiotics are recommended for all cats during introduction to raw.

If you do want to feed raw, the easiest way would be to use commercial made raw or get what is called a premix. A premix is essentially all the supplements. So you put some raw meat in a food processor, add the premix, and then you have a batch of food. You should use a variety of proteins in rotation.

How does Nala react to catnip? My husband says it can either relax or hype them up. If it puts her to sleep, try that. Or Feliway diffusers can relax them. It has synthetic cat pheromones so the house will smell in general like she marked everything with her scent glands. That's according to her...people can't smell it, so don't worry, it won't stink up the house. You might also find Bach's Rescue Remedies in a health food store or a high end pet store.

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pet/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Morning Raintyger...

Just saw your post it is about 6ooam EST...I did not get much sleep last night it is days long I am getting an hour or two sleep and I am starting to act like it. In regards to the shaking and twitching when sleeping the vet said that Nala must be falling into a deep rem sleep quickly and the reason why this is happening now is the fact she is not uncomfortable anymore because the diseased colon was removed and she sleeping peacefully that is his theory. Another woman here on this forum told me the exact same thing so I will buy it...Vet said as long as I tap her and she wakes up not to worry.. Even your theory can be correct to.

I did go ahead and post a new thread under the raw food forum yesterday another woman here also told me to do that which of course I am still unsure how this site works but she told me what to do and I found it. I see I have a few messages already from that forum I need to check. I have paper work on Goats Milk as a probiotic and to soothe Nalas tummy as it is excellent for the whole digestive track...I also got paper work on a raw chicken or beef diet. Yesterday I took my daughters dog to a new groomer here and she supplies the Goats milk frozen, carries dog raw diet but the cats must be ordered from the supplier which she can do for me. The groomer printed out a lot of paper work I am dropping it off to my vet this morning at 9am on my way to an appointment and he will call me after 2pm to discuss what food we will use.

I heard vets are for raw and also against it so I will see what he says I wanted him to look at the paper work along with whatever he was deciding on and weigh in on it all so we shall see. I don't know what to do honestly it is all becoming to much it is getting to me and I am feeling agitated. I don't have time to grind meet in a blender and mix this and that I need it can ready or like this groomer orders it frozen all I have to do is thaw it out and it is good in the refrigerator for two weeks...Nala vomited again at 445am semi brown with clear liquid. This is day 5 and it is mostly between 2-6am I don't understand it at all but it is every day. Nala eats at 6am and 6pm half a can and maybe a little in-between those time frames for a snack only if she acts hungry so last time she ate is at 6pm last night and vomits at 4am that is almost 12 hours after she has eaten and sometimes it is bile and sometimes it has brown in it like this morning was no bile but brownish with clear so that seems like food left over?

I don't know but with the paper work I am dropping off this morning I attached the journal of her vomiting times and the description each time. I know he said he is not overly concerned yet but I am this is not normal to me.

I have not tried cat nip in many years she was not intrigued by it at all...Siamese thing maybe nothing about them is the norm:) I am just spent mentally on all this it has been non stop now the biggest hurdle surgery was done we still need to focus on trial and error of foods and now vomiting is present I wish I never had a pet at this point I am just so over this stuff as much as I love her this Is a lot to deal with....

Karin

katruble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on Nala.  She is a stinker, isn't she?!? I can truely understand your anxieties and frustration.We humans do what is best for our furry loved ones but it is draining when it gets real serious.  I wonder how much vets know about cats and their digestive issues. I also am starting to question what causes so much of this? Commercial  Food?????????????

As much as I love my kitties I have been wondering if I can or will have any more when they pass.  Gracie's last 6 months were scarey and expensive for me. since I am now retired and only work on call I can't really afford her vet bills. I am not content with the vet any more but they do let me make monthly payments where others won't.

Gracie is doing so much better since I took her off lactulose liquid and use Miralax now. She poops often and a lot. fortunatley it is soft now , not hard or too soft. It does seem my schedule is all about making sure I am getting meds, food & water into her to maintain her health. I know the importance of that, not complaining, but friends and family don't get it. I love the companionship of my furry roomates but it is also very stressful and heartbreaking. As you well know.

Take care & you and Nala will remain in my thoughts and prayers for continued healing and some stability for you all. 

Kathi

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kathie...Nice to hear from you. Glad Gracie is doing well on Miralax.I feel exactly as you do I to don't know if I will ever have another pet after Nala leaves my life. It will hurt so bad I got a taste of being without her while she recovered in the hospital for 3 days almost 4. I could not get get-out of my mind my home was not complete without her and the silence killed me I'm scared for the day to come. But over spent about 5000 or so in the 11 1/2 years she is alive and her big surgery last weekend and now she is so sick vomiting because they want to switch her from Ad to Id they had me mix both to transition hee today and she vomited her guts up..I can't take it anymore I'm pulling my hair out crying its not fair to her either. She is my baby I have to pay to care for her and rack bills up doing it..Waiting for vet to call in morning to find out what to do...I'm a mess tonight so upset she is crying I have her confined in laundry room its so sad. If its not colon problems now its vomiting food and bile for 6 days its to much I just cry...This experience has me terrified to ever own another cat. I sympathize and empathize with exactly how you think and feel. This website emailed me complaining I keep making mistakes and posting repeat threads I don't know what they are talking about and I'm going through enough to worry about juvenile errors...If you care to calk me private message me I'll give you my cell number you can call me anytime to keep in touch I prefer the cellphones anyways than typing choice is yours:) since hope to hear from you...Karin

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Historian & All...Thank you remembering about Nyla it made me smile. Since I posted last Nyla has not come home from the vet hospital, today is 10 days she is there. She continued to vomit daily so they tried different wet foods but kept vomiting. 3 days ago they switched her to a hypoallergenic dry food along with steroid injections daily and the vomiting stopped totally so today is day 4 consistent eating and no vomit and stool produced every day since surgery and surgery was 3 weeks ago tomorrow. He called me last night and said he ordered the same steroid in a pill form and he was giving her the first pill early this morning and if she don't vomit she can come home today which is Friday. He said he would call after 12noon and its now 1230 anxiously waiting for the call praying she comes home...This has been very hard on me and my daughter we miss her so much I can't imagine life without her...My house is not home without her a very long 10 days...Vet did not want to put her back on dry at all but maybe wet was not good for her I don't know he was trying so many things and wanted to keep her there through this phase be use I would have ended up bringing her back with continues vomiting. I pray this hypoallergenic dry food will continue to work no vomiting and pray it doesn't make her stool hard..Also she will come home on the steroid but short term and I pray again when steroid is stopped the vomiting won't start again...So bringing her home I can't wait but fearful something may not work but I'm trying to be positive as best as I can...I'm hoping to have her home sometime today...I have not posted for a while because I was pissed by the emails about my mistakes from the forum owners petty juvenile mistakes I just could not be bothered. Thank you for reaching out Historian your the only one who thought to ask me about Nyla.. I will post you an update when I have her home.. She has been through hello for a month she alot of weight from 14 down to 10.7 need to get her eating more and home....xxoo

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hoping that once the body gets the idea of food going through, all her troubles with be over. Hoping that Nala comes home, and you have a good weekend with her.

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, my goodness. So sorry to hear about this. You all have been through so much. I hope the new food will work for her and you can bring her home soon.

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Concheezie & AbbieNTim... Hello and Thank you both for your kindness. After 10 days hospitalized Nala is Finally home with me..When she saw me she would not take her eyes off my eyes and she meowed not stop the whole drive home in my lap as she would not take her eyes off me I cried I missed her so much as she did me...I gave her a bath in the tub scrubbed her twice and dried her she is so happy to be home. When my daughter came home from school Nala went crazy running to her jumping in her lap meowing away so sad but happy. It was he'll without her. She came home with steroid pills for a month I will begin to wein her starting next week slow. Let's pray when this steroid stops vomiting won't come back. She is on prescription hypoallergenic high protein dry food. This food and steroid stopped vomiting. He never wanted her on dry food but he tried different wet foods with steroid shot and she vomited so maybe wet food didn't agree with her or maybe it didn't keep her full enough I don't know but She's on dry only and watching to see how she does everyday...he doesn't want her living on a steroid of course so he is hoping she won't need to...She has had a stool everyday firm and formed not hard so far so good I worry that will change again I pray it don't time will tell..I will keep you all posted...:)

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear, I thought maybe you had left and everything was progressing OK since there weren't any updates to the thread. I'm sorry Nala has had such a rough time! It's good to hear she is back home, though. I don't think her stool will be hard, her colon would have to be longer in order for it to firm up like that. Did the vet say why he thinks Nala is vomiting?

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Raintyger...I have not been on because this site kept emailing bothering me I was repeating y posts and I didn't understand what they were talking about I got pissed so petty so much stress with Nyla going on I said screw it. I wrote a post as to why I wouldn't be posting...She is in my arms resting she was home 10 days it was horrible I'm sure she felt abandoned..I hope your right about her colon that is true very little colon left so it should harden up. The reason for her vomiting is not clear but the timeline is it started after a week after surgery and many hours after eating not right after which was strange. She never was on wet before I thought maybe wet wasn't enough to keep her belly full? There is no definite answer but the steroid and hypoallergenic dry food did the trick. I just hope when She's off steroid pills it won't come back. Yes poor nyla she has been through hell starting before her surgery so its about 6 weeks total he'll for her in and out of vet...Thank you for waiting me I appreciate it and so does nyla: )

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description, she sounds very happy to be home! If she improved on the steroid, I wonder if she had some inflammation going on and the steroid helped with that.

One day at a time. 

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's good to hear that things have settled down a little eating hypoallergenic food and on steroids. You'll probably want to keep it that way for a little while, cats are so sensitive to stress.

After that, though, you may want to think about digestive enzymes. Since she has only part of her colon left, you have to maximize nutrient availability. Digestive enzymes can help take some of the work load off her system.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I see it has continued to be a long hard road. It sucks she cannot seem to handle the wet but it is a good idea to just keep her stable right now. After the steroids have been used up and if she does not start vomiting again and has been stable for a while, discuss trying a little bit of wet and slowly introducing it to her with your vet - that may be a better idea than just cold turkey putting her on wet food.

Good luck!

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raintyger,GoHolistic & Historian..Thank you for your messages they are appreciated very much. Yes this has been a long rough road for my cat and emotionally & mentally for me..At times I cried terribly and others I pulled my hair out...Nala has been through so much I feel for her...She is very happy to be home. She is on the steroid 1 pill for 5 days then 1/2 pill for another 5 days then 1/2 pill everyother day till gone so 30 days of steroid total..Tuesday will be the last day of 1 pill every day 1/2 pill for 5 days will begin..She was getting the same steroid but injected for a week before coming home..The steroid and change if food stopped the vomiting not sure if it was the steroid or the food or both that stopped the vomiting but I hope when steroid is finished the vomiting don't start again..I know living on steroids is bad but what if that's all that will stop it? Ill pray its the food change to hypoallergenic that did the trick. The way the vet spoke it didn't seem that we would try wet food again. I will ask him but I don't think so. Especially with nala after everything I don't want time change a thing if Eventing is working for her. The old cliche don't fix it if its not broke.I honestly fear trying new foods again and possibly starting at ground zero again with vomiting steroid etc.. If hypoallergenic food works and stools are normal why change? I just fear the problems to start again if I do...She is almost 12 Its so much to go through..I will ask the vet his thoughts though on wet..Raintyger hypoallergenic is suppose to be well balanced what digestive food were you talking about? ID is a digestive food bland we were suppose to try that but he went with hypoallergenic she very well may have a food allergy she has vomited for years on and off but nothing like the vomiting that started when she started wet food. She very well could have food allergy...Like GoHolistic said one day at a time she is stable only a week let's see how it goes...

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed my post said Nala was home for 10 days...No she was in the hospital boarded for critical care for 10 days just came home Friday afternoon finally...

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi siameselove03,

I'm not talking about food. Digestive enzymes are a supplement that helps break down the food, just like saliva. Since Nala's colon is shorter there is less time for her to digest the food herself, so digestive enzymes could help by doing some of the work for her. Here's an example:

I wouldn't take chances on upsetting things just yet, though. Wait 'til the vet says you're done with the steroids and there is a definite food choice.

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon Raintyger...I agree with you I don't want to rock the boat at all right now...I will check out the site you sent me on digestive enzymes and present the question asking him about what he thinks about introducing enzymes later on..Thank you for the advice always appreciated from you. I wrote it down to ask..I have not read up on this hypoallergenic food by Royal Canin but ingredients read pretty healthy and easy on stomach. I think its OK but we shall see. She loves this food alot always snacking on it more than any other food I ever seen her eat..Right now I have her bowl full alone the time until she puts weight on..

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw this new update. Sorry I haven't been on here lately. The response to steroids makes me very suspicious that 1) she was allergic to something in her previous diet or 2) that perhaps she had severe inflammatory bowel disease, and hence the reason why she needed surgery.

Both of those things will show a positive response to steroids. Once you reduce the dose, it is possible symptoms will reoccur, but hopefully you can catch it early enough that she doesn't get extremely sick.

Cats are less likely to have side effects from steroids than most other species. I have 3 cats out of 6 that had to be on steroids at some point in their life.  My vet just gives me a bottle of 100 tablets, which lasts about a year between the 3 cats.  One of my cats has a esinophilic ulcer on her tongue and she is the only one who requires long term steroid use.  The rest, I give on an as needed basis. 

It is okay to have your cat on steroids as long as you taper down to the lowest dose possible.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing (positive) news!

I tried switching my poor boy Pounce's food this week. I thought he might do well on rabbit. Only he had a severe allergy response and kept me up last night as he was scratching and thumping around... Poor baby.  It is tough having a cat with special needs.

siameselove03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarah Ann Thank you for reaching out and yes its been a long time. Sorry to your lil boy had some problems. I talked to 3 vets about raw diets and did my own research and it matched the vets opinion that raw diets can be dangerous it carries simonella and other bacterias that have made cats & dogs deathly ill so I will not go raw but I hope it works for your boy. As far as Nyla you must have not read my posts from a month ago. She did have surgery to remove most of her colon only leaving 3 to 4 inches it was def Megacolon not IBD. But now IBD is in question due to this vomiting issue which is why the vet hospitalized her for 9 days the steroid and using a hypoallergenic dry kibble worked. She came home Friday but vomited real bad Sunday and Monday. Vet was keeping her on steroids for a month but the steroid has increased her appetite and she eats non stop and she could be over loading herself with food which is why she is vomiting so he decided I need to start weaning her now which I started Monday so by next week she will be off. Her appetite decreased alot not eating as much and she has not vomited in almost 3 days. I hope in continues. Vet said some cats have to live on steroids but he don't prefer them to its not good but we need to see how she does when she is off the steroid completely. I pray the hypoallergenic food will do the trick but time will tell. Ultrasound was done and it showed no IBD but vet said he is not totally convinced of that. IBD may be a factor time will tell...The problem right now is vet prefers her on wet but different wet foods were tried and she was vomiting which is what landed her in vet hospital for 9 days so in the hospital he tried her on dry kibble and along with steroid has worked but problem is she had 8 teeth pulled 2 years ago and she eats funny but she eats well vet feels also since the food she vomited up a few days ago had undigested food in it maybe she is not chewing the food well and she eats and eats it backs up and she vomits so he don't want to try her on wet and start at bottom with vomiting all over again etc so I have tried everything to break the kibble in half with a blender a potatoesa masher, my fingers and it breaks up into tiny pieces like dust so not sure what he will decide next...This has been a horrific road very emotional and stressful words can't express. I hope all your kitties will be happy and healthy...Keep in touch...

Last edited: