Advice needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly!! All they ask is for love which I have lots to give them [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is the momma cat feeding my tiny loves [emoji]128525[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so in love with these little kittens, my husband is jealous hahaha he says I treat them like children and my response was why shouldn't I
Haha! My boys will talk to Sophie and refer to me as her momma. When asked if she's their sister they say no, she's our pet. Go figure!

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hahaha that's too funny, my daughter tells me that I've become a little too attached to the kitties, I always ask the kids to keep it down because the kittins are sleeping and they need a quiet environment [emoji]128517[/emoji]

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question. My husband sent me this picture while I'm at work. I'm wondering is sarah (mom) introducing them to solid food? I'm new at this and I haven't bought the kitties kitten food yet I was going to get to it this week. They're only 3 weeks old

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it seems she is "showing them the ropes". Or at least, they are interestinly following what momma does. 

Minced meat  is a classic firt food for kittens, at least here in Sweden. But do not use raw pork / swine meat.

I see also she is some sort of point - being a little darkish possibly a mix of siamese point and burmanese point.  One of her kittens is too apparently a point.   Do they have clearly blue eyes?

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it seems she is "showing them the ropes". Or at least, they are interestinly following what momma does. 

Minced meat  is a classic firt food for kittens, at least here in Sweden. But do not use raw pork / swine meat.

I see also she is some sort of point - being a little darkish possibly a mix of siamese point and burmanese point.  One of her kittens is too apparently a point.   Do they have clearly blue eyes?
Oh my I swear she doesn't seize to amaze me, she's such a good mom. Sorry for the late reply. Do I cook the minced meat? Can it be either chicken or beef? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question I'm just winging this whole experience lol. Yes they all have clear blue eyes as of now, not sure if they'll change. I don't have much information on the type of cat she is since my daughter just brought her home one day she was abandoned :( but we love her and glad she found her way J to our family :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken or beef would be fine. Just be sure it's totally plain beef - absolutely no onion or garlic. Another option for weaning kittens is baby food. It's easy to eat and digest!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it seems she is "showing
Oh my I swear she doesn't seize to amaze me, she's such a good mom. Sorry for the late reply. Do I cook the minced meat? Can it be either chicken or beef? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question I'm just winging this whole experience lol. Yes they all have clear blue eyes as of now, not sure if they'll change. I don't have much information on the type of cat she is since my daughter just brought her home one day she was abandoned :( but we love her and glad she found her way J to our family :)
Yes, chicken or beef is good. Its common they can get raw minced meat. (presuming the butcher has a good hygiene, but usually they do.) But you can have it cooked too if you by any reason prefer it.

Pork is the only exception. It must be cooked / woked. Its both danger for the trichines worms, and the danger for virus for Auyeskis (spelling?) disease. Which is not harmful for humans, but very harmful for cats. We dont have it in Sweden, with our veterinary controlled slaugherhouses, but abroads the standards may be more uneven.

If momma has blue eyes, she is probably a "common" "siamese-mix". The rather unusual siamese point-burmanese point mixes have seldom good blue eyes - as the burmanese point doesnt carry blue eyes.

I see it become a win-win situation. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hahaha that's too funny, my daughter tells me that I've become a little too attached to the kitties, I always ask the kids to keep it down because the kittins are sleeping and they need a quiet environment [emoji]128517[/emoji]
This reminds me aboutone of the first cat books I read, which I borrowed in the library of an veterinary school.  It was a cat behaviorist whom told about some of his experiences and cases.

One case was a timid, shy cat, afraid for sounds and everyone.  So he gave them advices, among others, to avoid sudden strong voices, shouts, movements, etc.

After several months the wife wrote a grateful letter to him.  Telling the cat was happier now.  But the biggest change in the house was, the whole atmosphere of the family changed for the better.  How?  The husband, was very dominating, and perhaps not always nice person.  Shouting, demanding, making himself a big and important  person.  But as he too wanted to help this cat, he took it now much more easy.  He quit with his dominating behavior, took down his voice and broad movements - in one word: he become a nicer, more likeable person.  Even he himself did noticed this...

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This reminds me aboutone of the first cat books I read, which I borrowed in the library of an veterinary school.  It was a cat behaviorist whom told about some of his experiences and cases.
One case was a timid, shy cat, afraid for sounds and everyone.  So he gave them advices, among others, to avoid sudden strong voices, shouts, movements, etc.

After several months the wife wrote a grateful letter to him.  Telling the cat was happier now.  But the biggest change in the house was, the whole atmosphere of the family changed for the better.  How?  The husband, was very dominating, and perhaps not always nice person.  Shouting, demanding, making himself a big and important  person.  But as he too wanted to help this cat, he took it now much more easy.  He quit with his dominating behavior, took down his voice and broad movements - in one word: he become a nicer, more likeable person.  Even he himself did noticed this...
That's an amazing story! So in tthe process of trying to help the cat it actually helped the family, so nice.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just look for the pure meat baby foods, no veggies or seasonings added.  Generally you don't find seasonings in baby foods, but frequently veggies are added to the meats.  Some are not terribly good for cats, and especially kittens.  And meat can be given cooked or raw.  There's an entire forum section here on nutrition, and another specifically for raw feeding. 

As I said, there are no stupid questions when a new cat person is trying so hard to do the right thing!  My goodness, the forums are covered in photos of kitten fannies, asking us to help sex them!  You just ask anything you need to know about!  We are more than glad to help any way we can.

Last edited:

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it seems she is "showing
Yes, chicken or beef is good. Its common they can get raw minced meat. (presuming the butcher has a good hygiene, but usually they do.) But you can have it cooked too if you by any reason prefer it.

Pork is the only exception. It must be cooked / woked. Its both danger for the trichines worms, and the danger for virus for Auyeskis (spelling?) disease. Which is not harmful for humans, but very harmful for cats. We dont have it in Sweden, with our veterinary controlled slaugherhouses, but abroads the standards may be more uneven.

If momma has blue eyes, she is probably a "common" "siamese-mix". The rather unusual siamese point-burmanese point mixes have seldom good blue eyes - as the burmanese point doesnt carry blue eyes.

I see it become a win-win situation. :)
Thank you so much for your advice, I will get them the food as soon as I can? Do you think the mom will stop feeding them soon? The kitties have been peeing where they sleep and on the floor is it time to get them their own litter box if yes which kind since I've only seen big ones and they're too big for them to get into.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom will continue feeding them, but will offer less of their full diet.  You can begin offering solids for them now.  Baby food is a great and easy place to start.  Kittens will continue nursing from mom for comfort even after they are entirely eating solids.  Do you plan to keep the kittens?  

And yes, it is time to introduce several small boxes.  At this age and size, disposable baking pans or even baking sheets work well, as do cardboard box lids.  You just need something low that you can put a bit of litter in.  Make sure it's nonclumping litter only at first.  Kittens have a tendency to taste.

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom will continue feeding them, but will offer less of their full diet.  You can begin offering solids for them now.  Baby food is a great and easy place to start.  Kittens will continue nursing from mom for comfort even after they are entirely eating solids.  Do you plan to keep the kittens?  

And yes, it is time to introduce several small boxes.  At this age and size, disposable baking pans or even baking sheets work well, as do cardboard box lids.  You just need something low that you can put a bit of litter in.  Make sure it's nonclumping litter only at first.  Kittens have a tendency to taste.
Thank you I'll be sure to remember to get the non clumping litter for their safety. I plan on keeping the kittens that don't get adopted I have a couple of family and friends that want a kitten, it really breaks my heart to have to separate them from their mom, but I don't have the room or means to care for them, we're on a tight budget right now since my husband is temporarily disabled; I'm the only one working and we have 3 kids under 14.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel guilty for rehoming. Pets are really expensive! You'll have to pay for vaccines and spaying and neutering and all of that good stuff soon, plus general food and check ups and care. If you can find excellent homes to provide all of those things than you are doing wonderfully for your kittens. Do see if you can rehome them in pairs.

Ideally kittens can stay with mom until they are 10-12 weeks old. They should get vaccines at 8 weeks, and can get fixed soon after.

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your post really eases my mind. I see it as how I would feel If someone took my kids away from me ,but I'm glad to know she won't grieve for them. thank you so much, this cat forum rocks [emoji]128588[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]