Advice For Caring For Mr. Bootz?

rproaudio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I'd like to say what a fantastic site and community this is, and how helpful it has been! Here's our story :) Mr. Bootz was a feral kitty living in our backyard in a neighborhood with several community cats, but he was particularly friendly so much so as to even coming inside of our enclosed patio and snoozing behind furniture in there.

His extended visits combined with the fact that he seemed to be frequently bullied by other cats made us decide to trap fix and bring him inside. (We also tnr'd another much more feral cat and intend to tnr the colony further) To our surprise the vet estimated his age to be under 1 year, which encouraged us further in our endeavors, hopeful that a younger kitty would adapt faster and better enjoy indoor life. Upon moving mr. Bootz in we provided him with a small room of his own including a cat tower, hiding spaces, toys, a litter box, automatic dry food feeder Etc. Unfortunately there was also a couch in this room which we failed to properly block off so he soon discovered his favorite hiding spot under the couch. For the first couple of weeks he was extremely shy and skittish and we rarely saw him. He mostly only appeared to eat sleep and use his box (he gets wet food daily in addition to his dry food). However he increasingly became more confident in our presence and we elevated the couch so that his previous hiding spot was not as hidden (though not gone), forcing him to further socialize or at least acknowledge our presence. He still retreats under the couch, but is not hidden. I should mention early on we frequently left his room door closed, but have gradually been leaving it open more and more when we are home. Around this time we had our first meows as well. It is now been nearly two months and mr. Bootz’ routine has become to sleep, eat, cry at the window, play with his toys, play hunt, groom, and in the evenings explore beyond his room some. He still will not let us touch him, however he made physical contact with me for the first time a couple days ago, pressing his nose against my arm after eating some treats near me. I am confident with more time he will become more comfortable with physical interaction. I am able to engage him in some play with a wand toy, but frequently see him play hunting and pouncing on his stuffed mice and feathered toys when I'm in the other room. Early on there was extensive evidence that he was climbing curtains in the room however that seems to have subsided as he has found good access to the window.

Given his progress I have been encouraged and feel I made a good decision bringing him in, however in his bouts of crying at the window I often feel incredibly guilty. The upside is this behavior only seems to last for a few moments at most before he is back to grooming or playing with his toys.

Unfortunately, we had a scheduled trip out of state for 10 days in the coming week. We've hired a pet sitter to come daily and cycle his food, water, and chat with the kitty for 20 minutes or so. In addition we have a friend of the family stopping by occasionally. I guess my biggest concern is that our sudden absence and introduction of new faces could be further traumatic for the kitty. Additionally he is not ready for a full household access yet unattended, so he will spend the 10 days in his Kitty room the size of a small bedroom. I plan to leave items that smell like me in the room and provide the cat sitter with new toys to provide intermittently during our time away. Additionally he has an automatic feeder and some interactive toys as well. I feel guilty (massive anxiety as well) leaving him in a confined space, however I have tried to provide him with as much enriching items as possible. I suppose why I'm writing is in hopes of eliciting suggestions or advice to further ease any stress he may feel in our absence.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rob (crazy old cat man in training)

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. From what I read it seems to me like you are doing quite well in your endeavor.

You need to drop the guilt of keeping him confined. What you are doing is in the best interest of the cat, you don't need to feel guilty. I have confined 3 cats. First was a cat I got from the Humane Society, a stray, she had dental work and they told me to keep her confined. She spent over a month confined in a room at my house. The Humane Society told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with doing it. The other two were feral, sister and brother, that I kept confined for approximately a month and a half in a room at work. Then I confined them to the upper floor of the building for another month. They both have become very well adjusted pets that live at my house now with my other two cats.

You are doing an awesome thing bringing that cat inside. He might cry to get outside, ignore it, he is far better off living in your house than outside. The cat will be stressed out, you just got to be patient and ride it out. The cat will learn that it is far better laying on your couch than sleeping outside.

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it should be good for his socialization for him to be around different people. I agree, let go of the guilt, he will have a far better life in the comfort of your home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rproaudio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input! Definitely easing my anxiety at least lol! I haven't cared for a cat before, so I am learning as I go. When I think about it rationally I do agree this transition is for the best for him. I hadn't considered the extra socialization could be beneficial and may be needed as well.

What a cute pair of sleepy kitties Shane! Here is another of Mr. Bootz exploring the hallway
and this is before we trapped him (it was 105 that day!) Lastly, here is Shadowcat, another semi feral/feral we are working with. This little girl LOVES to play. We plan to tnr her as soon as we get back from our trip as well. (Sitter will be feeding and providing her water in our absence as well)

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both beautiful cats.

There are lots of really good articles on this site. The articles are categorized and you can search through the articles. Articles on being a first time cat owner, feeding, litter, stress, and virtually everything to do with cats. I have gotten a lot of help from the articles and people on this site.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. All the best to you and the kitties.