Adopting A Second Cat

Sarahscatsylvester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all!

I'm new here, I hope this is the correct place to post this. I'm looking for advice on adopting another cat! My current cat is 3.5 years, he's very playful, but he also gets stressed easily in new situations. I want to get a kitten, and I'd introduce them properly, and ask my vet advise as well. Sylvester has been around dogs before and done fine, he's actually bullied a dog his own size before! I think my nerves come from me being a one cat, cat Mom and I'm just wanting this to work out! Any advise??

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would also vote for another cat ;)

But I understand it it a pretty important decission. My vet printed me some time ago a small guide of things to take into account before adopting a second cat that maybe can help you.

"Before making the decision to introduce a second cat, we must analyze the conditions of the cat that already lives with us, and think carefully if he/she will be able to adapt well and share the space with a new individual of its kind. Most well-socialized cats don´t have any problems and they can live with another cat and enjoy their company, but some do not.

A cat that has been separated from its mother and siblings too soon (before one month) or a cat that has hardly had contact with them or with other cats from birth to 3 months of life, could have some behaviour issues when living next to another cat.

In case of having an unneutered male cat, it is not a very good idea to get another unneutered cat. They may not get to fight but the frustration that will generate posible rivalries will force them to mark the territory intensely to feel more secure; That is, one of the two or both, could urinate and defecate anywhere in the house.

If we introduce a kitten, the process will probably be easier, because there are more chances that the first cat will accept it more easily than an adult, and the kitten will do the process of socializing with his future companion, which is perfect.

In short, if we want to have two cats, it is almost imperative that both are well socialized and fixed as soon as possible.

One rule of thumb to keep in mind is that we should have one bowl for water and one for food for each cat. For litter boxes, the ideal is to have a tray for each of them plus an additional tray.

If we live on a very small house, we can greatly increase the living space the cats will use by installing shelves on the walls or elevated platforms with suitable materials, where only cats can access, lie down, rest and isolate whenever they want tranquility."

Here are some articles to read:
Are You Prepared for More Than One Cat?
Considerations When Getting a Second Cat
Adding a second cat to your household

Hope it helps a little bit!

Last edited: