Adopting a new cat/kitten tomorrow, need some advice.

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings.

I am going to go into the SPCA tomorrow after work and look at bringing home another cat into my apartment. I currently own a cat, I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. My logic here is I am at work most my time (40 hours a week) and I would like my little guy to have some company while I'm not there to play with him. Now, Dexter, my current cat is going on 2 years old in March. I'm getting mixed advice on how I should go about adopting another cat into his life.

I've been told gender doesn't matter, I've been told it does. I've been told you want to get a kittken, I've been told you want to get a cat the same age as the one I have. I'm leaning more towards getting one close to his age, as since I'm at work a lot, I can't closely monitor a kitten like I did with Dexter when I wasn't working so much. Anyway, are there any tips for when I go in tomorrow to pick another little guy up? Things like litter box placement tips, etc.  I'm really excited to get another cat as well as my original intention was to adopt Dexter and his little sister when I took him home. But I couldn't afford two cats at that time, however circumstances changed. 

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Super side note.

I don't have the option to do a "proper introduction" as my apartment size isn't suited towards it, HOWEVER, the vet told me that my cat is very sociable when I took him in for a check up.

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since I can't edit posts, I'll add on one more thing about what my vet said... She said bringing another cat into my apartment nilly willy shouldn't be a problem seeing as my cat is, again, "very sociable"...and he was exposed to lots of playtime with his littermates back when he was young. I even took him over the my friends house so he could play with them, but he's going on 2 years old now and he was about 5 months at the time he last played with another cat.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Regardless of how social your cat may seemingly be (an the introduction process may not take long) it is still safest to go through the proper process.

Since you are unable to give the new cat its own room, I suggest getting a large dog crate to confine the new cat. It needs to be big enough for a litter box, bed/blanket (towards the back) and food/water bowl in the front. A few toys too.

When looking for a new cat, I would look for one that has a complimentary personality to Dexter and one the ASPCA *knows* gets along well with other cats. Talk with the staff and give them as much information about Dexter and your home size/layout.

If Dexter is more laid back and enjoys sunning and looking out the window, with some occasional play, I would tend to go with an adult cat. If Dexter is full of energy and was to play a lot throughout the day, an older kitten may be a better fit.

Last edited:

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it's day two now. I have pictures! The two cats are getting along better than I had expected for just 24 hours. They are touching each others noses and smelling each others behind now, even laying next to each other and sleeping somewhat closer. However the new cat took over the bed with me for the time being while Dexter found a higher spot to sleep. All in all they look like they are getting along fine despite the small living quarters.

The only thing I notice is that she is using Dexter's litterbox now and Dexter is using the new smaller one I bought for her. Not sure how that came about happening. Hopefully nothing bad comes from it. Anyway, her name is Alice. Thought I'd go with an all white cat to match Dexter...and a bonus that she has two different coloured eyes for extra awesomeness.

She's extremely friendly around me, sounds like a motorboat when she purs, headbutts me to no end and wakes me up by licking my arm over and over. Not sure what else I can do at this point, I think it's going alright? Dexter is just extremely curious of her, always following her around, sitting up on the fridge looking down and watching her. She hissed a few times when they first met, but that's to be expected, they seem like they are integrating well, I know it takes weeks for both cats to adjust, so I'll just play it easy for now.

nolifemark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her nails are super long though, and getting stuck in some of the few carpet I have around the apartment. I would cut them myself, like I do with Dexter's, but I'd give that at least another month before she becomes fully familiar with me. Or just get them cut at the vet, I dunno.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats, she's so white and beautiful!

Macha's vet, cut her nails, I trust her vet than myself.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new addition!
Alice is a true beauty. It is great that they are getting along so well and so quickly. My two kitties took about one month and I thought that was quick. They are now best friends, as I am sure your two will be. As far as clipping nails, I can't do it. If one of my kitties needs nail clipping, I need to bring him to the vet. The vet does it in a minute and of course the cat is good.