Adopter wants to declaw - should I deny or approve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am totally against declawing, but I will tell you from expierence one of two things happens if you deny everyone that wants to declaw.

1. They will tell you they are not going to and then do it anyway.

2. It becomes extreemly difficult to get kittens adopted.

I agree that I believe in educating them, but sometimes there is just nothing you can do to stop someone from declawing.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I vote asking why they think it's necessary, then polite education, and showing that the cat does use his scratching post and how easy it is to trim his claws. Then if they still are firm on declawing.... I don't know what I would do.

When we got our kitten this year, there were many folks (usually older) that were like 'so you getting him declawed when neutered?' and they were in SHOCK that we said no. And they were in shock he hasn't destroyed furniture... and that we're not covered in scratches. And they now know that you don't need to declaw a cat. I think there's assumptions "it has to be done!! OMG the furniture! the kids!" and then when people realize ... "your cat seriously has claws? I can't tell at all!!!" it makes them think different. (That said, it's usually people who don't actually have cats that are shocked they are not declawed... or people who don't know that it is amputation!!!!) It's just interesting... I don't know how declawing got ingrained in heads as this necessity decades ago... but I think that's part of the problem.

Good luck with this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

I don't know how declawing got ingrained in heads as this necessity decades ago...
Vets.....they figured out that de-clawing is pure profit, and they can charge as much as they want for it and, since it's purely for the owner's benefit, not feel guilty (many vets do feel guilty about charging too much for spays/neuters, since those are necessary), and so they started pushing de-claws. At least that's been my experience.

I don't know what I would do in the OP's situation. Last time I re-homed kittens (9 years ago), I didn't ask about their plans for de-clawing, but I did include printouts of de-clawing.com info in their paperwork. I did turn one girl down because she TOLD me straight out she was going to have him de-clawed, and maybe not neutered, and she already had a de-clawed intact tomcat....NO WAY!

I suppose in most cases de-clawing is better than being put down for lack of a home, but not in all cases. Some cats are so traumatized from the de-clawing that a humane death would definitely have been better. And you have no way of knowing how a cat will respond until afterward.....bad situation all around. Hard choices to be made.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you start making exceptions for declawing just to get cats adopted what else will it lead to? Adopting cats to questionable homes just because you want them in any home? What if you become known for being easy to get cats from?

IMO if you don't stand by your rules and policies it's not even worth having them in the first place.

Like said here:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Most adoption contracts are not worth the paper they are written on
Do you want your's to be the same way?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you want your's to be the same way?
Its not about wanting to enforce them, its about having the legal standing to - we have tried to enforce adoption contracts before when someone tried to give us kittens from a cat he adopted from us as a kitten. Our vets will not do pediatric spay/neuters, we have JUST got them to come down to 4 months instead of 5 so do we keep all kittens until they are 5 months old and not rescue others?

It is the same for us with declawing, we will try our best to educate people on what it actually is, talk to them about scratching posts and softpaws etc - but even if they tell us they will not and declaw them, there is nothing we can do.

As mentioned, the majority of people just don't know so denying them outright rather than educating doesnt serve to increase the number of people who know what it really is, fostering the environment of people who just think it is what is done.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Its not about wanting to enforce them, its about having the legal standing to - we have tried to enforce adoption contracts before when someone tried to give us kittens from a cat he adopted from us as a kitten. Our vets will not do pediatric spay/neuters, we have JUST got them to come down to 4 months instead of 5 so do we keep all kittens until they are 5 months old and not rescue others?
Does the vet know how much trouble this causes? If so, maybe they'd like to take in that litter of kittens... Is there not another vet willing to do them younger?

And I didn't mean suing, I meant stating one thing in the contract and telling the people another.
There's nothing wrong with educating, and hopefully that works in this case. But others are suggesting to just let a cat go just for the sake of getting it out, even knowing that the people could completely intend to declaw. There's no point in putting no declawing in the contract if you tell the people it's ok to do it - you might as well tell them the cats adopted can be outdoor only or even used as bait.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I would try to educate like many have suggested, but if they were still set on declawing I would not let them adopt.
I couldn't stand to knowingly allow a kitten to be adopted out to be mutilated.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does the vet know how much trouble this causes? If so, maybe they'd like to take in that litter of kittens... Is there not another vet willing to do them younger?

And I didn't mean suing, I meant stating one thing in the contract and telling the people another.
There's nothing wrong with educating, and hopefully that works in this case. But others are suggesting to just let a cat go just for the sake of getting it out, even knowing that the people could completely intend to declaw. There's no point in putting no declawing in the contract if you tell the people it's ok to do it - you might as well tell them the cats adopted can be outdoor only or even used as bait.
All 12 vets in the city are quite happy to tell you the dangers of pediatric spay / neuters, it has not been endorsed by Canadian vet associations in the same way as American vet associations and the vets here tend to stick to exactly what the vet colleges say.

Even the vet I use for feral spay / neuters wont do anything under 4 months.

As far as saying one thing and the contract stating something else, I agree. We do not have a no declawing clause in our adoption contracts but the decision was made that it is better to allow them to go to good homes where a small percentage are declawed than not be able to help as many animals since the other agency closed down and animal control simply can not keep up with the strays in our city. We do ask, and will not adopt out adults who are to be declawed, but the shelter has even taken declawed a cat (Autumn) in an effort to make her less aggressive and more adoptable so it would be hypocritical to say that others can not

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for all the replies. This is really a tough one since these people seem so good in every other way. I was so happy that someone was interested in Emile and I thought their application looked so good so when I saw the answer to the declaw question I was so dissapointed. I think that Emile could have a good life in this home if he could only keep his toes. I was thinking though that so many cats are declawed and live decent lives so maybe Emile could do the same. But the more I've thought about it I just can't do it. I've seen cats come out of being declawed at the vet's office and it looks so horrible with all their paws bandaged and you know they are in pain. They can't even scratch their litter in the litter box for weeks because their paws are so sore. I just can't do that to my Emile. I will find him another home if I don't feel confident that I have changed these people's mind.

There is nothing at all wrong with Emile. He's a wonderful little guy with plenty of playful energy and he loves to cuddle. He uses his scratching posts just fine and I haven't had any behavioral problems with him. Unfortunately though people are really superficial and they only want the light colored unique looking kittens. I have recieved countless applications for my little Siamese kitten but none for Emile and his brother. And I know it will get harder as he gets bigger. But I managed to place an adult cat with major fear issues in a wonderful home and if I can place her I can place Emile. I just have to get a bit more proactive like I was with her.

I'm working on an email to the potential adopters about what declawing really is and I hope they pay attention. But if they don't that's okay. They won't get my baby. Unfortunately they will adopt some other kitten who will have his paws mutilated.

Thanks for helping me make this decision. It really helps to have other people's take on a situation.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd send them the anti-declawing info (I use a very good website for this that has saved a few kitties claws!). If they had checked off "only as a very last resort" I might consider this as they would not do it unless there was no other choice.

But since they do plan on doing it without giving the kitty a chance, then no I would not adopt to them.

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd send them the anti-declawing info (I use a very good website for this that has saved a few kitties claws!).
Do you mind posting the link?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most people use the lisa violet site since it has pictures. I wonder how many people have ventured out of her declaw section? There's good info to be found elsewhere, too.

All 12 vets in the city are quite happy to tell you the dangers of pediatric spay / neuters, it has not been endorsed by Canadian vet associations in the same way as American vet associations and the vets here tend to stick to exactly what the vet colleges say.
I always forget you're in Canada since yellow brick road isn't very specific.
I hope they eventually get with the times, it would make things a lot easier on those adopting animals out to know there's no way there'll be kittens or puppies out of them.

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness, I just looked at the pics from a declaw surgery on the lisa violet site and the pictures actually made me sick to the stomach. How could anyone that knows what it's about want to do that to their cat? It's really shocking that people care more about the appearence of their furniture than the well-being of their cat.

I was thinking about maybe posting some of the pics of a declaw procedure in the email to the adopters along with sending the link. This way they have to look at the pictures and hopefully learn something. But I'm not sure if it would be rude or a little much to post the pics in the email instead of just sending the link. What do you guys think? Is it a little too much?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lizita

Goodness, I just looked at the pics from a declaw surgery on the lisa violet site and the pictures actually made me sick to the stomach. How could anyone that knows what it's about want to do that to their cat? It's really shocking that people care more about the appearence of their furniture than the well-being of their cat.

I was thinking about maybe posting some of the pics of a declaw procedure in the email to the adopters along with sending the link. This way they have to look at the pictures and hopefully learn something. But I'm not sure if it would be rude or a little much to post the pics in the email instead of just sending the link. What do you guys think? Is it a little too much?
I would send the link and warn them that the pictures are quite graphic. That warning will pique their curiosity, IMO.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really makes me feel so sick when I read about this. I would try to educate these people about it but I wouldn't trust them not to do it. I would turn them down. If you are going to be responsible for adopting these kitties, it is vital that you are confident that they will be looked after properly. Declawing is just cruel. I understand that it is proving harder to adopt her but your post saying that you will be 'more proactive' made me sigh with relief! I hope it will make it all the more rewarding when the right ones do come along.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lizita

Thanks a lot for all the replies. This is really a tough one since these people seem so good in every other way. I was so happy that someone was interested in Emile and I thought their application looked so good so when I saw the answer to the declaw question I was so dissapointed. I think that Emile could have a good life in this home if he could only keep his toes. I was thinking though that so many cats are declawed and live decent lives so maybe Emile could do the same. But the more I've thought about it I just can't do it. I've seen cats come out of being declawed at the vet's office and it looks so horrible with all their paws bandaged and you know they are in pain. They can't even scratch their litter in the litter box for weeks because their paws are so sore. I just can't do that to my Emile. I will find him another home if I don't feel confident that I have changed these people's mind.

There is nothing at all wrong with Emile. He's a wonderful little guy with plenty of playful energy and he loves to cuddle. He uses his scratching posts just fine and I haven't had any behavioral problems with him. Unfortunately though people are really superficial and they only want the light colored unique looking kittens. I have recieved countless applications for my little Siamese kitten but none for Emile and his brother. And I know it will get harder as he gets bigger. But I managed to place an adult cat with major fear issues in a wonderful home and if I can place her I can place Emile. I just have to get a bit more proactive like I was with her.

I'm working on an email to the potential adopters about what declawing really is and I hope they pay attention. But if they don't that's okay. They won't get my baby. Unfortunately they will adopt some other kitten who will have his paws mutilated.

Thanks for helping me make this decision. It really helps to have other people's take on a situation.
have you written to them yet? I am late to this discussion, but you might mention to them that if they insist on having declawed cats that there are plenty in shelters to choose from.

I hate declawing so much. I pray every day that it will soon be outlawed in every city in this country.

I am glad you will not knowingly adopt out to people who will declaw. I agree with educating them, but even after giving the information, I would not release a kitten to them.

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't declaw my cats. Working in a shelter though with hundreds of cats coming through every day, it is very hard to turn down a loving home because they want to declaw. When it comes down to either declaw or death, I would choose the former.
I have been present for old style declaws when I worked at a vet clinic. It wasn't pretty with the big pressure bandages. I recently got to watch a laser declaw. It instantly cauterized the the cut and only a touch of nexaband was needed to seal the incision. The cat was up and around the next day as if nothing happened.
Something else to consider (this is just food for thought so don't crucify me). Technically a spay is an elective surgery. It is much more invasive and risky than a declaw yet we don't think twice about removing organs.
If your rescue has a contract that the cat has to come back to you if he doesn't work out, you will have control over the next home as well. I would give the people a chance but cover your back at the same time. You could even go as far as registering his microchip to YOU so if he lands in a shelter you can claim him.
Good luck in your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.