Adopter wants to declaw - should I deny or approve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a dilemma and I need someone else's input on it. I run a small cat rescue and I currently have several kittens up for adoption. I have a litter that is about 4 months old and I haven't had much interest in any of them at all. A couple of days ago I got an email inquireing about one of these kittens, Emile. Emile is a mainly black medium long haired kitten with a white bib and a white stripe on the side of his mouth. He's go an awesome personality and I think he's adorable but unfortunately he's not the most adoptable kitten. Now that he's getting bigger it will get even harder to find him a home.

Today I got the application back from the couple that are interested in Emile. They seem really good and they have another cat which is a must for a cat like Emile. They answered all the questions the way I'd like them to. All except for one - the question about declawing.
The question on the application is "How do you feel about declawing?" and the four possible answers are "Absolutely necessary" "Only if destructive" "Only as a last resort" and "Completely opposed to it". They chose "Absolutely necessary".
I think declawing is a very unecessary and painful procedure that robs the cat of a natural behavior that is important to him. But then I'm wondering if maybe I could live with it if he gets a good home. I plan on emailing the couple to give them some info on declawing and ways to handle scratching without declawing and I hope that they listen and change their minds. But what if they don't? Should I turn them down then and hope that another good home comes along for Emile or should I let them adopt him anyway?

Please tell me what you think I should do.

Thanks

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote do not let them have the kitten.
Sorry I have seen very nice cats turn very mean after being declawed and they were sent back to the pound.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say Deny, but the sad thing is that they will get a cat and declaw it anyways...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would find out why they think it's absolutely necessary, perhaps it's just always been done and the are not fully educated on the procedure or side effects.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to educate them. Some people just won't listen to reason, but it's worth a shot. If they agree to use Soft Paws or something as an alternative to declawing, then I would probably approve them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Try to educate them. Some people just won't listen to reason, but it's worth a shot. If they agree to use Soft Paws or something as an alternative to declawing, then I would probably approve them.
Yeah I agree with you and Missymotus. If they arent convinced by your arguments (you can tell them that it is TCS arguments if it feels easier for you), tell them about these Soft Paws. It is a OK compromise for the cat AND the owner. They tell Soft Pawns works quite well in all aspects.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people just are not aware, I would speak to them and find out why they think that before making any decisions.

tbh a lot of cats who are adopted out with a no declaw clause in the adoption contract are declawed, they come in to the shelter sometimes with all of their paperwork from when they were adopted or bought from a breeder and the no declaw clause is initialled on the contracts. Most adoption contracts are not worth the paper they are written on

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say find out why they think it's necessary, and see if they're open to other options. Will you be meeting them in person? It might give you more insight into them. Also, what are the other options for the cat? Will you be able to keep Emile until he finds a home?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree I would speak with them why they think declawing is a must.
A lot of people just don't know what is involved in declawing, they think it is just like clipping a nail. I have educated many people who were shocked to learn the truth of it and are now as against it as we here are.
If after speaking to them they do not change thier minds, I would say deny them. I know you want the kitty to go to a good home, but that is a price I would not be wiling to pay.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others and that you find out why they want to declaw. I was turned down for the same reason even after I told them I would not declaw because the only reason I said I would was because I thought all indoor cats were declawed. When growing up our cats were always declawed as well as all my friends. Now that I know better I do not declaw so maybe that is the case here. Maybe once educated they will change their minds.

**The shelter that refused me still won't adopt to me. To them it's better for their animals to grow up in cages with little to no human contact.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I'm going to go contrary to the crowd here, to some extent. I'd find out why they want to declaw the cat, but considering you're talking about a black cat with some adoption problems, I would say a declawed cat in a happy home with caring parents, good food, a warm place to sleep, all are better than living his life in a cage or being put to sleep in a shelter or living his life on the street. I know those are not in his future currently, but things change, and to quote a number of politicians in the last week, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going against the crowd also... I would say if everything else is ideal then go ahead and adopt him out. BUT of course try education first, try to convince them of other options and alternatives. If that fails and the declawing issue is the only thing in the way, go for it. This kitty may have a home with you until a more perfect candidate comes along, but that means another kitty can't be in his place.

I know that the board is totally against declawing (as I am myself now) however in the household I grew up in all cats were declawed and that was just how things worked. Both of my boys are declawed and are still wonderful, happy kitties. If I could turn back time I would not have had either of them declawed, but I wouldn't reject a great home for any kitty just based on the procedure.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one prejudice on the declawing issue. Cats that come into the shelter, either stray or surrenders, are kept a lot longer (usually until they're adopted) if they are declawed.

iheartmycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You know, I'm going to go contrary to the crowd here, to some extent. I'd find out why they want to declaw the cat, but considering you're talking about a black cat with some adoption problems, I would say a declawed cat in a happy home with caring parents, good food, a warm place to sleep, all are better than living his life in a cage or being put to sleep in a shelter or living his life on the street. I know those are not in his future currently, but things change, and to quote a number of politicians in the last week, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
I am in pretty close agreement with mrblanche. Definitely at least discuss the declawing issue with them. As posters have already stated, many people just aren't educated about declawing. Is Emile trained to use a scratching post? Is he used to having his nails trimmed? If so, definitely let them know. One of the big things I focus on with my fosters is teaching them to use appropriate scratching posts/mats/etc. and getting them accustomed to regular nail trims. When people adopt my fosters I tell them exactly what their scratching preferences are and suggest a particular type of scratching post for them to buy and how to ensure they use it along with giving a nail trimming tutorial.

Maybe you can change these potential adopters mind about declawing. If they are still insistent that it is necessary but you truly believe they would provide a loving forever home, then you have to weigh the pros and cons of Emile being adopted but declawed, or keeping his claws but there being the potential of him not finding a home.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lizita, may I ask why the cat is not very adoptable?
I would tend to agree, reluctantly, that declawing and an otherwise good home is better than no home, but it would help to know what the issues are with Emile. Declawing may just make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.