Adopted Kitty is now sick, seeking advice/reassurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! We recently adopted a 4.5yo tabby from a local rescue that has a Cat Cafe. Our little guy was the life of the party there and we took him home Friday evening. Saturday we noticed reduced appetite and Sunday he was hardly eating or drinking water that we saw. We rushed him to the vet with diagnosis of stress and a possible virus like herpes that flares up due to stress accompanied with a bacterial infection... lucky kitty, right?). Blood work was clear. He got a few shots, fluids and tried Hills prescription diet. He did eat a good bit of that on Sunday night. Monday evening rolls around and still little to no appetite and could not tell of water intake. We took him back to the vet and X-Rays were clear. He's got some clear discharge from his eyes and nose, while sitting here drooling :(. The vet (different one than Sunday) agreed it seems like he is just sick and some home remedies. We are at Wednesday, he is drinking water freely but only sipping up broth from foods we try, nothing solid. Any similar experiences or guidance? The poor kitty lost 1.5lbs while with the rescue (he is only 8.5lbs) currently. We have had every test done that can be done and I'm hoping it is just some stress, but I've never had a situation like this in 33 years having cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Were you able to keep him on the food he was eating before you adopted him? He may eat better if he gets what he is used to - changing food along with all of the other changes he's gone through might have contributed to his stress level.

Also, regarding this being a potential herpes flare up, you might consider getting him on an immune booster, such as DMG, to help reduce future flare ups. See link below for one of the products I have seen others on this site use.

Antibiotics won't help if it is merely a herpes flare up, but many times a viral condition is followed by a bacterial one and would need treating.
VETRISCIENCE Vetri-DMG Liquid Immune Supplement for Dogs, Cats & Birds, 28-mL - Chewy.com

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes it takes a few different vets to get one that will be able to help. See if you can get him in with a feline only vet. Also see if you can have them email you his lab results and post here. Did they check for virals? Was he vaccinated prior to you getting him? Do you have any plants or flowers in the house? Did they send him home with any medications? Drooling is often a sign of nausea and a nauseous cat won’t eat.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also think it may be that he needs to start with the same food he was getting at the rescue, then slowly transition him to what you would like to feed him. And stress can definitely be an issue here. Some cats just take a little longer to "fit in".

Hang in there.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, it's very common for kitties in new environments to not eat well, not use the litter box, and not be as outgoing when they go home. It can take several days for them to adjust to the new sounds, smells, routine, and people. Secondly, the stress created by moving to a new home can cause an upper respiratory infection or trigger a herpes or urinary tract infection. I'm so glad you've gotten your baby to the vet. Like the others have said, I would get the same food he was eating before you adopted him to see if he'll start eating again. If he has a stuffy nose, though, he may not be able to smell his food, and that will prevent him from eating as well. You can try warming up the food by adding hot water to wet food to make a slurry/smoothie consistency. This enhances the aroma of the food and helps them eat better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smbatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everybody for the kind and encouraging words. I was able to connect with the rescue and get the food he likely would have had! Good news, he did actually eat more today than yesterday and is beginning to eat himself without us coaxing.

smbatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were back at the vet this weekend. He stopped eating again 😢. With his note on current state, head to Kitty ER. We had to have our poor baby put down. FIP is the diagnosis. Our poor boy, may he rest in peace, finally.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very sorry to read this. Heartbreaking. At least he knew love and a wonderful home before he left this earth. I am glad you took him to the ER. I am sorry you had to make that horrible decision.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little soul, I'm so sorry for him.
But you gave him the opportunity to know what being in a home feels like, what to be loved means, you were great!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten was diagnosed with FIP and it's just a matter of time. Such a horrible, cruel disease! So sorry to hear about your baby!
💛

smbatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FIP has a treatment that is still experimental but nonetheless many cats used it and survived.
It's expensive, though.
We talked with the vet about this and he was very familiar with the treatment. He felt our poor baby was too far along in the disease that regardless he was showing signs of organ failure :( If we had gotten him a few weeks earlier from the rescue we would have tried that.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. It sounded like he wouldn’t have survived even with treatment. I am so sorry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like, you can create a memorial to your cat in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Please try to take some comfort in the fact that your cat was able to experience a loving home, even if briefly, and that he knew that someone loved him.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.