Adopted by a pregnant cat in the middle of a move

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like two sets of twins - one pair of white and brown and one pair of dark brown - and one lone grey one.

Grey: 100g
White collar: 103g
Brown collar: 94g
Fat brown one (I can NOT tell these two apart other than that one is tubby and i know that's not consistent, not sure what to do): 128g
Little brown one: 99g
Keep your eye on the the one you call Brown collar; it sounds like that's the runt of the litter, so it may have trouble getting a really good teat. May need a bit of supplemental feeding to thrive.

Congratulations, to both you and Mamma. She looks very relieved, and slightly smug over a job well done. The kittens are, of course, adorable.

Margret

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All of the above, plus she may have after pains for a day or two, and some spotting, which may have you thinking it's contractions.

The weights are very good. Just watch the runt who is smallest and make sure it's getting ample nipple time. They frequently get pushed away.

Little cuties! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weigh in for day two:

Grey gained 7g
White collar gained 13g
Brown collar gained 9g
Tubbs ;) gained 13g
Little black one gained 11g

Can't remember how much they're supposed to gain each day but looks like the little "runt" is gaining well, keeping an eye on that one and also the grey one and have goats milk on hand if I need to supplement.

How soon can you tell the sex of the babies? I can't figure out anything they're so tiny ;)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need to gain 6-10 grams per day, so it looks good so far! Cuties! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today was a day of kittens! Here's my sweethearts 5 new arrivals. 3 girls and 2 boys. Take some pictures with flash, and I can help you determine the sexes of your kitties.
OMG adorable! Hooray kittens!

Ok here are some photos, they're pretty squirmy so they're not the best but I tried! Haha

White collar

Grey:

Brown collar:

Tubbs:

Little black one

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG adorable! Hooray kittens!

Ok here are some photos, they're pretty squirmy so they're not the best but I tried! Haha

White collar

Grey:

Brown collar:

Tubbs:

Little black one
Okay, here's what I see:

White collar- boy
Grey- girl
Brown collar- boy
Tubbs- girl
Little black one- boy

You can have the vet confirm when they get their shots! :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, here's what I see:

White collar- boy
Grey- girl
Brown collar- boy
Tubbs- girl
Little black one- boy

This matches what I see, but it's been so long since I sexed kittens that I was hesitant to say so.

Margret

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, here's what I see:

White collar- boy
Grey- girl
Brown collar- boy
Tubbs- girl
Little black one- boy

Those were my guesses too, just wasn't sure if I was interpreting things right since I've never seen kittens this tiny! :) thank you!

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weigh ins are going well! Their weight gains slowed down on day 3 but today (day 4) they're back to gaining well within normal range so I think all is well:

Grey: 125g
White collar: 132g
Brown collar: 114g
Tubbs: 146g
Little black one: 123g

I guess now that we have a consensus educated guess on sexes I can officially name them :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weigh ins are going well! Their weight gains slowed down on day 3 but today (day 4) they're back to gaining well within normal range so I think all is well:

Grey: 125g
White collar: 132g
Brown collar: 114g
Tubbs: 146g
Little black one: 123g

I guess now that we have a consensus educated guess on sexes I can officially name them
Good idea, though you shouldn't be surprised if their names change when they get older.  With kittens this young it's hard to tell what their adult personalities will be like.

I note that the two largest kittens are the girls.  They may be a bit older.  They'll probably decide that they're at the top of kitten hierarchy.  I'm glad they're all doing so well.

Margret

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
QUESTION ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN! :)

they are all gaining well within heathy range every day, (between 8-15g a day) but I read that by 1 week they should be double their birth weight? I think they were born fairly large so maybe that's why, but we aren't even close to doubling. Here are their weights today (day 6) compared to what the target double birth weight would be:

Grey: 155g/ target 200
White collar: 153g/ target 206
Brown collar (runt): 137g/ target 188
Tubbs: 164g/ target 256
Little black one: 151g/ target 198

Do I need to be supplementing? They really seem to be thriving - lots of energy, starting to explore a bit more, ears are all open and up and I think eyes will open soon. And, like I said, consistent healthy weight gain every day. So I feel like they're doing fine, but not sure how correct/important those target weights are?

I did pick up some gnc milk replacer/supplementer just in case so I can give them that if need be, just don't want to interfere unless I really need to.

Thanks!

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also how much food should mama be getting? I keep her bowl of dry kitten food full and she eats whenever she wants from there, and I've been giving her two small cans of wet kitten food daily as well. All the food is blue buffalo limited ingredient so high calorie and few fillers.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Mamma wants more food, give it to her.  She's eating for six, after all, and I suspect she was malnourished when you took her in.  This may also help the kittens gain weight.

Forget all this stuff about needing to diet to lose baby weight.  I doubt that it's good for humans, and I know it's bad for cats.  As long as it's healthy, new moms should get whatever they want, in my opinion.

Margret

garnermeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If Mamma wants more food, give it to her.  She's eating for six, after all, and I suspect she was malnourished when you took her in.  This may also help the kittens gain weight.

Forget all this stuff about needing to diet to lose baby weight.  I doubt that it's good for humans, and I know it's bad for cats.  As long as it's healthy, new moms should get whatever they want, in my opinion.

Margret
Haha, yes, makes sense to me! I'll up her wet food to 3 cans a day and see how that goes. She eats all of the wet every time, and eats a good amount of dry but I've never found the dry bowl empty so I know she's not going hungry. But of course she prefers the wet ;)