Adopted By A Possible-tnr Feral

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I think we've been adopted by a feral or semi-feral possibly-TNR cat. I think most of my questions have been answered just reading posts on here. But let me give a little background and my questions.

We've had an outside cat visiting us at work for about a year or year and a half. She has her right ear clipped with about 1/3 of it cut off. Until yesterday, I had thought maybe she had been abused or something. (Is it significant that it's the right ear and not the left? I've been reading that the left ear being clipped is the sign of a TNR feral and the descriptions seem to indicate a smaller portion is clipped off than in this case.)

Anyway, she's been coming here about a year. When I would see her, I would give her a little food. She would be here sometimes, then maybe not come back for weeks. Gradually, her visits became more regular--no doubt because of the food.

There used to be other cats around here. She seemed to chase them off. I never noticed any others to have clipped ears. If I had, I might have suspected something. There used to be more vacant buildings (businesses) around here and empty lots but those have been gradually filling in. Most of the other cats I've seen around have wound up dead on the side of the road. Even the parking lots aren't entirely safe; at the end of the work day, some cars speed out of the parking lots like a racetrack.

As these other cats have been killed off, this cat started to hang out here more often, it seemed.

The cat was skittish around people which I've now learned is a sign of a feral. She would get close to me, as close as a foot away. She wouldn't rub against me or let me close enough to pet her, which I've learned is another sign of a feral. But, she would often come when called, beg for food and even hangout during the daytime, which are apparently signs of a stray cat. So, feral or semi-feral, not entirely sure.

With winter coming, and given that it's not really safe around here and also given that she might be becoming too dependent on us for food, we thought it might be best to try to coax the cat indoors. In the past, when the door has been open, she might step inside but then hurry right back out again. I figured it will take some time to coax her inside.

I put a plate of food just inside the door for her. She cautiously came in and ate while I left her alone. After eating she took a few steps inside to look around. Then she went back outside. Then she came back in and headed for another room. She came far enough in that I was able to close the door and trap her inside. She came running when she heard the door close but then ran back into the other room.

So, by basically screwing up my schedule, she caught me a bit unprepared. But hopefully it will all work out. If she stayed outside, I felt certain it was only a matter of time before she was hit by a car like the others. It may have been safer when there were more vacant buildings and less traffic, but it's certainly not safe anymore.

Following advice I've read, I've currently got her alone in a bathroom. She has food, water and a litterbox. I have to get some potting soil to get her used to the litterbox, probably. I had some here, but it has fertilizer in it, so I didn't want to use that. I saw her getting a drink once, but she hasn't eaten yet. She ate before she came indoors, so there's that. But how long can she go without eating before I need to worry? I think she's getting a little more comfortable. The last time I checked on her, she was on top of the toilet instead of hiding behind it. I know I probably checked on her too soon, but I'd feel better once some food vanished. I have to keep forcing myself not to check.

I understand it will take time to socialize her. She's not a kitten. But, the way she would kind of look longingly into the glass door as if she wanted in suggests that maybe it won't be too bad. Hopefully. We've taken in strays before, but this is the first possible feral. (Unless you count the one rescue kitten the shelter said was not a biter but definitely was. She was kind of wild.)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She sounds a bit more stray like than feral. A true feral cat would not have come inside without being extremely nervous. Also when you closed the door, she would have been frantic and most likely thrown herself against the door and yowled to get out. Since she is being fairly calm, she may have at one time had a home.

The first thing I would do is to schedule a vet appointment. It is important that she receive vaccines, deworming as well as tests for kitty illness (FIV and FELV). I would try to do this sooner rather than later.

To coax her to eat, you can try canned tuna in water or just even the tuna water with a few flecks of tuna. It also would make a good topper for wet food. Just be sure not to leave the uneaten tuna or wet food sitting out for too long as you don't want it to spoil. You can leave a small amount of dry food out 24/7 for now.

Thank you for caring for this sweet girl. Living outside is such a hard life.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring about her. :lovecat:

Are you planning on keeping her as an office/work cat or were you planning to take her home?

I've trapped 3 ferals this year. One I kept and am raising as an indoor cat. One is a little too wild with willingness to reach out and swipe/scratch me without warning- and she pees standing up against vertical walls/surfaces. She'll live outside, except a few nights if we have a hard freeze. (The third was an abandoned baby kitten who I fed to "neutering age and weight"), then the shelter took him as a "stray", not a "feral", and quickly found an adopter.

Some cats will adjust fine to an indoor life. Most probably can. Some can't.

Since you've brought her inside, you really can't check on her "too much". I spent 10-15 minutes of every hour I was home sitting on the bathroom floor with the kitten I kept. Playing, reading, talking, or just sitting in the room quietly. She spent her first week in my bathroom and then got access to the bedroom plus bathroom. I played talk radio 24/7, so when I wasn't there, she was still hearing human voices. She "blossomed" quickly, but she was a 4 month old kitten.

The outdoor feral has moved permanently (hopefully) onto my back patio (which is why I was asking if you were planning to take your cat home or keep her at work). She doesn't appear to wander much anymore, so she's relatively safe sticking close by. She is also blossoming at her own speed and now wraps herself around my legs and allows some petting...particularly 3 times a day when she sees me walk out with her food saucer in my hand. :winkcat:

Your kitty may adapt to living inside where she is safest. I hope so! If she won't come around, I would move her to your house, assuming that is safer than being outside around all that traffic at the office.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds a bit more stray like than feral. A true feral cat would not have come inside without being extremely nervous. Also when you closed the door, she would have been frantic and most likely thrown herself against the door and yowled to get out. Since she is being fairly calm, she may have at one time had a home.
Thanks. She did throw herself against the door or at least try to run through the glass. (It's a glass door.) It was a blur of fur. I think she may have tried the window too. (It's a low window.) But it was so fast. As soon as she found the door was closed, she hurried back in the other room. She's been quiet. No yowling or meowing. She may or may not have hissed at me once. (I had a cardboard roll I used to try to coax her into a carrier so I could get her into the bathroom. She may have hissed or it may have been the cardboard rubbing against the wall. It was a subtle sound so I couldn't be sure either way.)

I'm a bit surprised she hasn't tried to escape the bathroom yet. Maybe you're right that she could have been a former housecat. Based on what I've read on ferals, I keep expecting the bathroom to be torn to shreds.

I don't have any canned tuna here, but I do have some canned, moist cat food that's rather pungent. I don't care for the smell of it, but cats seem to like it. I may have to try that.

A vet appointment is certainly on the ASAP list.

Are you planning on keeping her as an office/work cat or were you planning to take her home?
Most likely an office cat. We have cats here already. If the new one has anything communicable where she can't be with other cats, there's room here to keep them separate. (They are well separated now.) In either case, hopefully she will adapt to indoor living.

Have cats at home too. All indoor cats. Same with the dogs. I doubt the new cat would stick around outside at home. Even though the dogs stay indoors, they'd bark at her all day long if they saw her. Plus neighbors have dogs. And then there are foxes and skunks. I wouldn't want to bring her home to live outside unless I could build some kind of enclosure to keep her safe, which could be possible. There's a small storage shed that could be cleaned out and modified. But that'd be a last resort.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have cats at home too. All indoor cats. Same with the dogs. I doubt the new cat would stick around outside at home. Even though the dogs stay indoors, they'd bark at her all day long if they saw her. Plus neighbors have dogs. And then there are foxes and skunks. I wouldn't want to bring her home to live outside unless I could build some kind of enclosure to keep her safe, which could be possible. There's a small storage shed that could be cleaned out and modified. But that'd be a last resort.
I have a Corgi who has to go out in the back yard and potty 3 times a day and he also gets fed out in the grass in the evening. He has made a "career" of chasing and barking at the multiple feral cats who live at the apartments behind my back fence. I've been training him not to bark or lunge at the kitty who has "moved in" to my patio as her home. He's pretty quick to pick up on cats who he sees as "intruders" versus the cats who he needs to protect like part of the "family".

Even with Misfit having to "tolerate" a Corgi going into what she now sees as her yard, it looks like she's decided that one dog is preferable to the multiple dogs owned by apartment tenants who let the dogs run on the apartment greenbelt.

Anyway, hopefully your kitty will adjust to living in the office. That is the best "first choice". Have you named her yet?

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Corgi who has to go out in the back yard and potty 3 times a day and he also gets fed out in the grass in the evening.
Our dogs are chihuahuas. They bark at the indoor cats. They bark at anything outside: the neighbors' dogs in their own yards, squirrels in ours, birds, cats, leaves, who knows. Years ago, one upset a deer through the glass. The deer began to stomp its foot and I was afraid she'd charge through the window so I closed the curtains so the chihuahua could no longer see her.

Anyway, hopefully your kitty will adjust to living in the office. That is the best "first choice". Have you named her yet?
I've had a name picked out for a while. Works whether she's female or male. But I've refused to actually "give" her the name until (a) she was safely indoors and (b) been checked out by a vet, so as not to jinx anything.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a name picked out for a while. Works whether she's female or male. But I've refused to actually "give" her the name until (a) she was safely indoors and (b) been checked out by a vet, so as not to jinx anything.
Awww! I called my feral Kit Kit for most of a year because when I went out in the yard I would call, "Here kit kit kit kit kit kit ," instead of "Here kitty kitty," for some reason. Once she moved onto the patio I renamed her Misfit, which started as Miss Fit because she's so lean, trim and solid muscle. :p

I'm sort of thinking your feral will have a name soon. ;)

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sort of thinking your feral will have a name soon. ;)
I hope so. I feel like the biggest hurdle right now is eating. Part of me says she'll eat when she gets hungry enough to eat and the other part says "EAT ALREADY!" In between working, I've been trying to check on her and spend a few minutes at a time with her. It seems like maybe she's getting a little less afraid so I'm hoping she'll decide to eat soon.

So far, I've tried some pungent tuna (cat food, not canned tuna) but that didn't work. I heated some cat food that is pieces of chicken in broth. I put the pieces of chicken on a plate and the broth in a little bowl. I don't think she's touched either yet.

I have music playing for her now. I read in one of the threads someone suggesting classical or harp music. Don't have any harp music, but I have some celtic music playing for her which using string instruments.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you just trap her in the building today, or has it been a couple of days she's not eating?

A lot of ferals like to eat around dusk and dawn. It might not be her "dinner time" yet. When my feral first started showing up somewhat randomly then disappearing, she was most likely to show herself around sunrise and sunset.

Your kitty may also just be nervous about eating because of the new environment and will feel safer eating during the night.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few cats I trapped that just had the tip of their ear bit off (Maybe a dog?). So don't be surprised if she isn't fixed. You might want to check to see if her nipples are swollen or if she has a fat tummy.

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you just trap her in the building today, or has it been a couple of days she's not eating?
Monday evening, after she ate, is when I got her inside the building. She spent the night in a large cage with food, water and a litterbox. Tuesday morning, I saw her getting a drink from the water dish. If she ate, it wasn't much. Tuesday afternoon, I moved her into the bathroom.

This morning, it didn't look like she had eaten any of the dry food or canned. Maybe she did and didn't eat enough to be noticeable. I kind of doubt it though.

Today, I've given her the foods I've mentioned in earlier posts as well as some additional dry food. There are also cat treats out for her. I sprinkled a little catnip on some of the dry food. I also had breaded chicken strips for dinner. I removed the breading and offered her some of the white meat. I sat near her and ate some and offered it to her, putting it on her plate when she didn't eat it.

Perhaps I reset the clock by having her spend one night in a cage then the next in the bathroom. Two moves in two days. But I thought she'd feel better in a room rather than in a cage.

She had a healthy appetite when she was outside. She'd eat anytime I'd offer her food. So I imagine it's the stress of coming inside. She doesn't appear weak or anything, but I'd still feel better if I saw her eat something or saw a noticeable difference in the food to show she had eaten.

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had a few cats I trapped that just had the tip of their ear bit off (Maybe a dog?).
Possible. But it's such a straight cut that it seems more likely to have been done with a scalpel or blade.

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I thought I'd post an update. First, for the benefit of anyone reading this who found this thread searching for information on bringing a feral cat indoors, I would recommend making sure you have everything set up before you start trying to entice the cat to capture it. You just don't know how long it may take. It may take some cats weeks or months and some less, especially if you've already established a relationship with them. As I mentioned in the first post, I was caught unprepared because I didn't expect to get the cat inside on day one. So, be prepared. Have food and water dishes on hand, food, an article (or more) of clothing with your scent, a box for hiding, two litterboxes, "safe" potting soil, Feliway spray or diffuser, a nightlight and a room ready.

Looks like my last update was on Wednesday, when she still hadn't eaten. At some point on Tuesday, she urinated on the floor, not using the litterbox. The litterbox I had was filled with a litter made of ground corn cobs. I thought that would be "natural" and something she might feel comfortable using. Apparently not. Anyway, on Wednesday, after reading advice to have two litterboxes, I added a second one. I filled it with regular cat litter. The clumping kind, though, as that's all we have.

Wednesday night, I did spot her licking her lips, which I hoped to be a sign maybe she was about to eat the food in front of her. (And which I later found out could mean any number of things.) But no.

As of Thursday morning, she still hadn't eaten anything, but she did use the litterbox--the one with the regular cat litter. So, no need to get potting soil. Still didn't eat on Thursday, at least not that I could confirm. The dry cat food had an empty spot, but I couldn't be sure whether she had eaten some or just stepped in it.

So Thursday was three days without confirmed eating. This is where I have gotten confusing information. I have read that (a) a cat shouldn't go without eating for more than 24 hours, (b) it's normal for a feral to avoid eating for 24-48 hours when adjusting to a new environment, (c) it's normal for a feral to go three days without eating when in a new environment, (d) the health issues that can arise from a cat not eating primarily affects obese cats which is generally not the case for ferals, and (e) ferals can go weeks without eating. So, I felt really confused by the various information out there, but the bottom line was that it's best for the cat to eat ASAP.

Thursday, I ordered some Feliway spray for overnight delivery. As on Friday morning, the cat had used the litterbox again but still hadn't eaten. I had offered her tuna and tuna water on Wednesday or Thursday without success. I brought in some chicken baby food (no onion) for her on Friday. That was another no-go.

After the Feliway arrived, I promptly opened the box and I sprayed the Feliway in the bathroom pretty much everywhere but on the cat, food and water. After about a half hour, I brought her a little bit of canned paté food. She sniffed it! That was progress because every other time I put food in front of her, she had ignored it. I left her alone with it.

She still didn't eat it.

She hides under the box a lot, but she hasn't appeared weak or lethargic or anything. So at least there was that. But still, I wanted her to eat.

Meanwhile, the earliest the vet can see her is Tuesday, which was worrisome because I didn't want her to go that long without food. But that was the earliest slot they had available and they seemed familiar with ferals so you just keep your fingers crossed. I asked for advice on getting the cat to eat, and basically it was to keep doing what I was doing.

So, Friday night, I gave her all fresh food. Again. I gave her a selection of a little tuna on one plate, chicken baby food on another, canned food on another and dry food on assorted plates, along with treats.

As of around noon today, when I checked on her, she had finally eaten! She ate the tuna. She ate the baby food. She ate the canned food. I think she ate some of the dry food too. Hasn't touched the treats but that's okay. Now, it wasn't much food. Only a large spoonful of each, which is all I had left out, but it's progress.

Plus she may have used the litterbox again. (Didn't dig to check; was just happy she finally ate.)

I don't know if it was the Feliway that helped or just time having passed.

I threw out the old dishes, sprayed some more Feliway and gave her a half a can of food and the rest of the tuna that was left. I'll check on her again in a few hours. Plus she still has plenty of dry food available.

So, that's where things are right now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on getting her to eat! You are this little girl's angel. Thank you for helping her. This world could use more people like you in it. :hugs:

Feliway works on some cats but not others. If it worked on your little girl, that's great. Keep up the good work and kudos to you for doing your homework before bringing her in. I hope all goes well on Tuesday. Sending vibes out that she is healthy :vibes:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of around noon today, when I checked on her, she had finally eaten! She ate the tuna. She ate the baby food. She ate the canned food. I think she ate some of the dry food too.
:banana1: :dance: :party3: :woohoo: :jive: :woohoo: :beerchug: :dance: :banana2:

I was getting really discouraged reading about no eating and no vet appointment until Tuesday, until I read that sentence!!! That's great news!!! Phew! What a relief!

If any of my cats skip an entire day of food, plus breakfast the next morning, I start syringe-feeding as long as they aren't vomiting and don't have diarrhea. I have also read stories about cats that got stuck for a week or more in the cargo hold of ships with no food and survived though. It is confusing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello,
As of around noon today, when I checked on her, she had finally eaten!
Thank you for posting the update. And congrats on getting her to eat. I, like orange&white orange&white , was getting discouraged reading your update, and was so happy when I got to that sentence! Eating and using the litter box are great successes! Will be waiting for your next update. And pictures of the dear girl once she is more comfortable.

Have you given her a name yet? Also, how long is she alone between visits? Would you be able to put a radio in there so it's not so quiet.

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She didn't eat all day yesterday, but as I was getting new food ready for her and went to give it to her, she had decided to eat a good portion of the food that had been sitting out all day. I threw the rest out and left her with the fresh stuff.

She had mostly cleaned up the plates by this afternoon. One still had some stuck on the plate; whether she chose not to eat it or whether it had sat out so long it dried to the plate, I'm not sure. She has fresh food again so hopefully she'll eat it while it's fresh.

She's starting to eat the dry food too. She hasn't cleaned it all up, as she would when she was outside, but I can see that she's eating some of it.

She also noticeably drank water too. The dish was only half full.

She also used the litterbox overnight. Number two.

Also, how long is she alone between visits? Would you be able to put a radio in there so it's not so quiet.
I was initially checking on her every couple hours. I think that may have been too much, too fast. I've cut back on checking on her to every few hours. She's at the office, so she usually has a good eight to twelve hours alone at night. During the day, I've been minimizing visits. It's been hard, but I thought maybe I need to take it slower to give her more time to adjust.

I think once I'm sure she's eating normally on a regular basis, then I'll start slowly increasing visits with her.

I did have music playing for her before. I had it on probably eight to twelve hours a day. May have been too much. I don't know. I think since I've kept it quiet, she's maybe feeling more comfortable. So, on that too, I think I may have to gradually increase the amount of music or radio play over time. Maybe start with an hour and gradually increase it. Not sure.

Eating regularly is the main thing right now.

On another note, she may have learned how to flush the toilet. Not sure if that's going to be a good or bad thing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like things are going well. Except for maybe the toilet flushing skill. Maybe now she's an indoor girl, she wants to bypass the litter box and go straight to using the toilet. LOL.

Niel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her appetite now seems almost normal. At least "normal" compared to what she ate outside. Mostly. Outside, she might come for two meals a day but inside she's only eating once a day. But now she's cleaning up her plates like she is having her own private party when alone at night.

Except that now that's she's (hopefully) an indoor cat, she has decided she prefers the expensive dry cat food. The other stuff, which she cleaned up outdoors, just sits on the plate. She's eaten some but I think she's holding out for the expensive stuff.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Except that now that's she's (hopefully) an indoor cat, she has decided she prefers the expensive dry cat food. The other stuff, which she cleaned up outdoors, just sits on the plate. She's eaten some but I think she's holding out for the expensive stuff.
LOL. She's like, if I'm going to be an inside princess now, I expect to eat like one. :catrub: