Acute renal failure

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope her passing was at home and peaceful. At least she was able to return to her familiar home, see her sisters, and know the comfort and love that was all around her.

You truly went above and beyond in providing for her needs. As painful as this is, she is no longer suffering, and will live on in your hearts and minds.

May she RIP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I keep thinking what I could have done differently. This hit me very hard. I still am finding it hard to accept. She was such a sweet cat. I should just be thankful for the good times we had but it might take some time for me to fully process it.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally undestandable to feel this way. Anyone who cares enough, does retrace their steps to see what would've changed "IF"... 

Even doctors who possess the knowledge to save a life, they fail sometimes, 'cause things just become irreversable. Don't blame yourself, you did everything by the book. 

You even helped her have a peaceful journey to meet her maker. It was such a sweet move.. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. 

Run free at the Bridge

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was lilies, even just licking the pollen off  her fur is deadly.  I walk my cat and he doesn't always understand why he suddenly can't go somewhere he's been before, but these lilies just pop up!  I guess different varieties bloom at different times of the year.  they are hard to avoid.  Cars leak fluids and if the cat walks on it, s/he will ingest it when s/he grooms.

She had a good life with you. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It IS hard not to question one's decisions AND those of the vet. I still run things through my head about end of life decisions I made regarding the care of a couple of my cats who I put down when they were elderly and ailing.

It's normal to do this, and we just don't have a crystal ball.

Take your time grieving. It's not an easy thing to lose a fur baby. They are members of our families. But what happened is not your fault.

I'm still grateful you brought her home, and that you gave us an opportunity to offer you our thoughts, prayers, and support through this journey.

jwark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is one thing I do not regret at all, taking her home. It was so apparently she was excited and happy to come home. I'm 100% sure we did the right thing in that regard.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You absolutely did the right thing to bring her home. I wouldn't concentrate on the medical treatment right now, you'll think clearer in a few days or weeks. Poor baby. RIP, little girl.

jwark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been dealing with my grief and then I fear we have made a horrible discovery. My wife mentioned she fed her raisins before this happened because she likes them. Of course there is no way she knew it could cause this. I didn't know that, I just happen to not like raisins. 

I'm so scared what is going to happen if she finds out and I feel I have to tell her because of our other cats. I don't know what to do this is so devastating.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so very sorry for your loss.

i understand how hard this is for you, and i agree that your wife needs to know to never let cats or dogs eat raisins. i think the key may be gently, but not drawing out that conversation too long.

i'm not sure if this will help, but this is how i make sense of cats and kittens having died very young, very early. you might start by telling your wife that sometimes 'the powers that be' up above bring a cat/kitten up to them early, because that cat/kitten is very very special. many times the cat/kitten has died because of an accident of some sort. you might then say that in your girl's case, this may very well have been what happened. tell your wife that you know how very much she loved your sweet girl, just as you did. you could say that the accident for your girl was that the raisins she loved so much were actually what caused her kidney failure, that cats and dogs should not eat them. tell her that neither of you knew that about raisins. you could then add that your girl was so very, very special that she was brought 'up above' at a young age.

this may take your wife some time to get through, needing love and support from you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a tough situation She does need to know and guilt will unfortunately follow Just let her know without any blame and without dwelling on it For some reason some things like chocolate are better known then things like raisins

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I've been weeping right through this thread. Please be gentle with your wife.
Run free little girl.