Accidentally stepped on my kitten

TH2440

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a five-week-old kitten (along with her mother and brother). About an hour ago, I was changing the water and accidentally stepped on the kitten. She yelped and dashed away, then pooped a little. I i immediately calmed her and patted her to see if she was hurting anywhere but no visible injuries. She just kept shaking for a few minutes and then started grooming herself.

Now she's walking, playing and meowing normally, but I am still worried. It's 2:40 AM, tomorrow's Saturday so the nearest vets are closed, I don't know what to do.

What other steps should I take to ensure she's not injured? Judging from her stomach, she ate a little while before the incident so perhaps the pooping was due to that? I am just worried and traumatized right now. What should I do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a five-week-old kitten (along with her mother and brother). About an hour ago, I was changing the water and accidentally stepped on the kitten. She yelped and dashed away, then pooped a little. I i immediately calmed her and patted her to see if she was hurting anywhere but no visible injuries. She just kept shaking for a few minutes and then started grooming herself.

Now she's walking, playing and meowing normally, but I am still worried. It's 2:40 AM, tomorrow's Saturday so the nearest vets are closed, I don't know what to do.

What other steps should I take to ensure she's not injured? Judging from her stomach, she ate a little while before the incident so perhaps the pooping was due to that? I am just worried and traumatized right now. What should I do?
With a little luck, nothing bad happened aside of some pain and her becoming scared...

As you describe it, the luck is still with her. Observe closely, but you can wait.

IF you HAD access to a good vet, the playing it safe would be to take the kitten to the vet and let him examine her, palpitation and perhaps even taking x-ray...
But you dont have, and running to a costly ER vet when it seems she is OK?; not all are made of money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TH2440

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With a little luck, nothing bad happened aside of some pain and her becoming scared...

As you describe it, the luck is still with her. Observe closely, but you can wait.

IF you HAD access to a good vet, the playing it safe would be to take the kitten to the vet and let him examine her, palpitation and perhaps even taking x-ray...
But you dont have, and running to a costly ER vet when it seems she is OK?; not all are made of money.
It's morning and she seems fine, walking and running around. Doesn't seem to be hungry, but isn't limping and doesn't seem to be in pain. I have some savings and it's usually cheap to do x-rays here (we have government-owned vet hospitals who do x-rays and ER for around $1-$2, so cost isn't rhe issue), but it's Saturday so it's closed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's morning and she seems fine, walking and running around. Doesn't seem to be hungry, but isn't limping and doesn't seem to be in pain. I have some savings and it's usually cheap to do x-rays here (we have government-owned vet hospitals who do x-rays and ER for around $1-$2, so cost isn't rhe issue), but it's Saturday so it's closed.
Sounds good! Continue to observe, but try to relax.

Pray, where are you living? Which government gives such excellent and cheap veterinary care??

Of course, what is cheap depends also on what the usual incomes are... Still. :)

TH2440

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds good! Continue to observe, but try to relax.

Pray, where are you living? Which government gives such excellent and cheap veterinary care??

Of course, what is cheap depends also on what the usual incomes are... Still. :)
I live in Bangladesh. We have government-run veterinary universities in all major cities, equipped with all the necessary facilities. It costs $0.60 to get consultations and $1-$2 for X-rays and other tests. Medicine usually costs anywhere from $1-$10, other pet care (vaccines and stuff) cost around $30-$50.

(Also, unrelated but if you can pass the entrance exam, you can enroll in these universities for less than $100 (+ some additional costs) per year!)

Update on the kitten: she drank some milk from her mother, ate some chicken and is now sleeping. I think she'll be fine :')

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I live in Bangladesh. We have government-run veterinary universities in all major cities, equipped with all the necessary facilities. It costs $0.60 to get consultations and $1-$2 for X-rays and other tests. Medicine usually costs anywhere from $1-$10, other pet care (vaccines and stuff) cost around $30-$50.

(Also, unrelated but if you can pass the entrance exam, you can enroll in these universities for less than $100 (+ some additional costs) per year!)

Update on the kitten: she drank some milk from her mother, ate some chicken and is now sleeping. I think she'll be fine :')
Wow, Bangladesh... Caring about its animals, and about its those inhabitants whom arent well to do...

If I had ever any prejudices about Bangladesh, half of them falls down now at once... :)

TH2440

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, Bangladesh... Caring about its animals, and about its those inhabitants whom arent well to do...

If I had ever any prejudices about Bangladesh, half of them falls down now at once... :)
Haha, well, it has its merits and demerits. Livestock is one of the most important aspects of our lives as Bangladesh is still an agricultural country. On top of that, Islam is a major religion here and cats are considered good omen and luck in Islam so many people adopt (and if not adopt, at least try to treat and help strays) cats here.

It's definitely a good country if you have a cat to treat!

(Final update on the kitten: She is totally normal so I don't think it'll be an issue anymore. I'll still check with the vet tomorrow though! But for now, she is okay!)