About to be new cat mum!

athemistia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are adopting two male kittens in about 10 days, they'll be just over 8 weeks then. Just looking for any tips on helping them feel at home and also training them.

They are coming from a family home with other cats, including other kittens, and seem to be weaning and learning well from their mum. They were accidental kittens not bred, but their owner clearly loves cats and they seem very happy kitties. They've already been flea'd and wormed so should be very healthy.

I've done a some research and have two beds and will have two litter trays. It's quite a small kitchen so I think I'll put one in our bathroom? We're in a maisonette so all one floor. But I'm a bit worried about our stairs. When you come in our front door you go straight up stairs to our flat, I'm worried about them shooting out the door when I come in so was thinking of keeping the door to our living room and kitchen shut to begin with, so they'd only be able to get to the litter tray in the kitchen? Any advice?

We would both like them to be well trained and learn tricks, so obviously want to start as early as possible. I will be home with them most of the time to start with so I will be able to give them lots of time and attention.

Basically any advice or info much appreciated!

Harriet

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to welcome you and to say thank you for giving these little guys a home. You'll find having two is great because they have a built in play mate and won't be lonely.  8 weeks is a little young, usually mom starts teaching them all their 'social' graces at that age until 12 weeks or so, kittens that young will need extra training and care. Two together though will teach themselves some, like how rough to play, and what is appropriate for 'attacking' another. The best thing I have ever bought for my cats are those corrugated 'scratch pads' you can get at pet stores or even Walmart, my cats completely leave my furniture alone with these and use them I swear hundreds of times a day! Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

athemistia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are adopting two male kittens in about 10 days, they'll be just over 8 weeks then. We've never had cats before. I was never allowed one as a child as my Nan, who I lived with, didn't like them. My partners family are dog people. But we're both very excited for our new babies! Already buying things for them, my partner thinks I'm obsessed!

They are coming from a family home with other cats, including other kittens, and seem to be weaning and learning well from their mum. They were accidental kittens not bred, but their owner clearly loves cats and they seem very happy kitties. They've already been flea'd and wormed so should be very healthy.

Basically any advice or info much appreciated!

Harriet

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there and congrats on the adoptions!

A ton of great articles on cat care is here --> http://www.thecatsite.com/atype/45/Cat_Care

And some specific articles include:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/bringing-home-a-new-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-cat-litter

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-best-take-care-of-cat-claws

Many cats love vertical scratching posts.  Now is the time to train them, and dont buy a short post, they will outgrow it before you know it!

Here is a good article on training to use a post:

http://www.catscratching.com/

Lastly, make a vet appointment soon for a basic wellness exam and baseline measurements, and by getting a vet you don't have to go searching for one in an emergency.  Make sure thet kittens have been, or will be tested for FIV/FeLV and get age appropriate vaccinations, and schedule the spay/neuter surgery too if this hasn't been already done.

Congrats again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have no experience with kittens that young, so no advice here but I wanted to say welcome to TCS!!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

athemistia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Thanks for the congrats!
My aunt is a veterinary technician so they're getting registered at her vets before we even get them! The kittens mum also goes to the same vet so there's continuity there too. They'll be booked in for their vaccinations soon after we get them, but they won't neuter them until they're 6 months. They won't be outside for at least 10 months and they're both boys so that'll be fine.
Have a curved horizontal scratching box thing already, will see if they like that or want a post as well. Thanks for the advice!

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Thanks for the congrats!
My aunt is a veterinary technician so they're getting registered at her vets before we even get them! The kittens mum also goes to the same vet so there's continuity there too. They'll be booked in for their vaccinations soon after we get them, but they won't neuter them until they're 6 months. They won't be outside for at least 10 months and they're both boys so that'll be fine.
Have a curved horizontal scratching box thing already, will see if they like that or want a post as well. Thanks for the advice!
That sounds like a good plan.  I'm pretty sure I have the same one and no need to waste all your money on scratching supplies if they like the first one.  I made that mistake and now my living room is littered with vertical scratching posts Hunter has no interest in, despite my many attempts to engage him.  If yours likes the horizontal scratcher, there are lots of others that may be worth trying.  Hunter's favorite is the cheapest, worst made scratching pad I have ever seen but he loves it beyond reason.  I literally had to put it in a corner to stop it from sliding around when he jumped on, but it remains by far his favorite scratching place. (This monstrosity, for the record: http://www.thecatsite.com/products/...with-catnip-jungle-stripe-lounge/reviews/4310 I just don't get the appeal).

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS 

That's great that you're taking two kittens together, that should be fun!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How exciting!  My 2 are litter mates and they were 10/11 weeks old when we brought them home.  When they were that tiny we kept them in a large wire dog crate with a small litter box, bed, a few toys, etc while we were sleeping or at work.  The first night they were home we put them in our spare bathroom and woke the next morning to find them in the living room watching our fish tank!  They'd managed to squeeze under the door!  It couldn't have been more than a 2 1/2" gap!  I should have measured!  (We have since moved) 

Be sure to kitten proof.  Get them checked by the vet and neutered as soon as they are big enough (it helps boys not develop negative behaviors like spraying if they are neutered BEFORE they reach sexual maturity).  Good luck! 

Please post pics after you bring them home!  And feel free to ask questions here; we are here to help!

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We gor lilly at 12 weeks kittens are a lot of fun and get into some scrapes a few months after we got lilly she broke one of her hind legs almost a year on we still dont know how she managed that but she is since fully recovered I second the kitten proofing Lilly at 13 months still gets in places I wish she wouldn't . Good luck with your new babies and welcome