Abandoned Kittens - Sick

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that scary. Do you have an agreement that you will take Sable back, if she doesn't work out. Please make that very clear. I know people have surrendered to shelters because they didn't know what they are getting into. Tell them in detail and show videos.
Back when I had any kittens, I had a time when I did take a kitten back. When the woman called and asked if I would, she sounded surprised (and relieved) when I said yes. I thought I had made it clear I would take any kitten back. I'm sure glad she called!
The shelter will not let me know, or give my information to the new owner. I asked them to let me know and they said they wouldn't be able to I just need to watch the website and see if she appears.
I got these kittens through a lot and they won't even let me send her favorite toy with her. :bawling2:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter will not let me know, or give my information to the new owner. I asked them to let me know and they said they wouldn't be able to I just need to watch the website and see if she appears.
I got these kittens through a lot and they won't even let me send her favorite toy with her. :bawling2:
When Tera was at the rescue I could visit her and it was like she was still sort of mine. I could dream of way to take her home and make her and Mook play nice. When she was adopted I lost all those privileges and I grieved her and it seems unfair didn't the person who took her know and the shelter how much we loved her ? See that's the reality of helping, fostering, rescue. You have to learn to let go. And the person who gave Tera a home is starting their own story.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i figured why the kittens had to stay together for a longer time, and i think it's very sad that usually people give them away as soon as they see them eating solid food. I always see adoption ads with very small kittens. I noticed no one cares about how important the time spent with mom and brothers is for a kitten. I have also seen people that only want to adopt a kitten YOUNGER than 8 weeks. Or even younger than 6 weeks. I once had a pregnant cat and her babies in foster and i posted pictures of them when they were around 6 weeks just so i could be sure i have homes for them, i specified i wasn't giving them away until they grow up a bit more, they were not even eating solid foods! I had people begging me to give them my kittens.
And yes, giving them away in pairs was something i wished i could do, i searched for people that would be willing to adopt 2 kittens, but the only people that were perfect candidates for adoption were the ones adopting solo.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so unfair! the best thing you can get after going through so much with these kittens is pictures of them in their new owners laps! Getting pictures of them growing up always warms my heart. If you foster for the shelter you are not allowed to search for a new owner?

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things work totally different in my country. Shelters are just places where they take animals and they couldn't care less of what happens to them. There is only one organisation and shelter that doesn't euthanise, and they always help animals in need. That's the one i want to volunteer for:)
And there are other organisations that are made by people that transformed their homes in shelters! Making sure animals find a great owner and getting pictures of them is essential for this whole process. They usually post themselves pictures they get from new owners, just to keep everyone updated. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to communicate with the new owner.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so unfair! the best thing you can get after going through so much with these kittens is pictures of them in their new owners laps! Getting pictures of them growing up always warms my heart. If you foster for the shelter you are not allowed to search for a new owner?
I know where two of them are going.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I might take in another kitten.. 2 days old kitten.. I started a new thread about that because i need some quick advice. If a kitten is accepted by his new cat mom but he doesn't suckle from her, what should be done?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
i figured why the kittens had to stay together for a longer time, and i think it's very sad that usually people give them away as soon as they see them eating solid food. I always see adoption ads with very small kittens. I noticed no one cares about how important the time spent with mom and brothers is for a kitten. I have also seen people that only want to adopt a kitten YOUNGER than 8 weeks. Or even younger than 6 weeks. I once had a pregnant cat and her babies in foster and i posted pictures of them when they were around 6 weeks just so i could be sure i have homes for them, i specified i wasn't giving them away until they grow up a bit more, they were not even eating solid foods! I had people begging me to give them my kittens.
And yes, giving them away in pairs was something i wished i could do, i searched for people that would be willing to adopt 2 kittens, but the only people that were perfect candidates for adoption were the ones adopting solo.
Interesting that many cats are dumped for behavior issues before 1 year of age.
Lots of shelters have no choice but to adopt out at 8 weeks because of the constant kitten overflow.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of the OP's situation, didn't think about fostering through a shelter, sorry. :) Most shelters I know of have a return clause, does this one? I always pray that shelters understand the kitten (cat, dog, puppy) personality and interview the adopter to make sure the adopter knows everything and it IS a match. It is aggravating not to be able to know who the kitten goes to, maybe there have been issues, in the past, where fosters contact new owners and caused problems. The toy part I don't get, that shouldn't be a problem, actually make the transition easier. There's a lot of things I don't understand.:lovecat2:

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure, and if there was anybody following the thread that didn't know, I just wanted to be sure. :) I've met people who think waiting is just because somebody thinks it's better, they don't understand the importance. It's so sad that so many people don't even care, they can't be bothered to spay and just don't care.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things work totally different in my country. Shelters are just places where they take animals and they couldn't care less of what happens to them. There is only one organisation and shelter that doesn't euthanise, and they always help animals in need. That's the one i want to volunteer for:)
And there are other organisations that are made by people that transformed their homes in shelters! Making sure animals find a great owner and getting pictures of them is essential for this whole process. They usually post themselves pictures they get from new owners, just to keep everyone updated. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to communicate with the new owner.
What country do you live in? It's interesting to learn about how different countries treat animals!

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What country do you live in? It's interesting to learn about how different countries treat animals!
I live in Romania, Europe. Unfortunately animal protection isn't very developped in this area..the good part is that there are a few kind people that do their best to protect these innocent souls.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Romania, Europe. Unfortunately animal protection isn't very developped in this area..the good part is that there are a few kind people that do their best to protect these innocent souls.
I live in rural New Mexico and cats get the scraps off the backend of all animal control. And the county I live n has no mandatory spay/neuter policy. It's a cycle repeated in many places in the world.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.png
image.jpeg
I forgot to tell you guys that Casper left us today too! The girl that adopted him loves him a lot already and they get along really well! She bought a lot of toys and even prepared a little place in the house for him to sleep, eat and so on(but of course he sleeps in the human bed not the cat bed lol!). Those are some pictures of him in his new home :)⬆

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now i have to find someone right for Sugar..i got a lot of requests for him but no one seemed right for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting that many cats are dumped for behavior issues before 1 year of age.
Lots of shelters have no choice but to adopt out at 8 weeks because of the constant kitten overflow.
I wish that people would just realize that even cats go through that "total jerk teenaged" phase, but that they quickly outgrow it! We'd be in a mess if they could dump their kids when they hit...oh, say, about 15.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I wish that people would just realize that even cats go through that "total jerk teenaged" phase, but that they quickly outgrow it! We'd be in a mess if they could dump their kids when they hit...oh, say, about 15.
A domestic cat well socialized still has primal instincts that make it behave this way. They must climb everything , jump , stalk and swing on the chandeliers because every fiber of their being tells them to. It's a survival skill programmed into them. The words GET DOWN are very common.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As are the words, "Oh, GOD, not again!" But we persist, and end up with perfectly lovely cats (most of the time) who significantly enrich our lives (all of the time). Some folks just don't get that.