Abandoned Kittens - Sick

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 181125

Yes, they are eating wet kitten food from a dish, i also mixed some kitten formula with their food so they get a little more hydrated.
When i brought them home i first gave them some kitten formula in a bottle, and they loved it, they don't need it really, the vet told me they are big enough to eat solid food, but i thought it wouldn't hurt them either.
The vet also gave me some eyedrops, one eyedrop in each eye twice a day, but i am also cleaning their eyes with warm water:)
thank you SO MUCH for saving them you are amazing xxxxx

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mercy was done way under 2lbs in fact I was shocked. My cat cat vet wanted to wait. I wanted them done at 5 months because I know how quickly they can come into heat. They were 8lbs each and healthy. Most kits should be going on 4-5lbs by 4 months so they are plenty big enough to go through the procedure. Also kits at this age are still growing rapidly which means they heal faster
We can debate someone feeding a feral if they have no way to get them fixed but rescue cats must be altered as it ends the breeding cycle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I heard about a lot of female cats going in heat pretty early. Back when i was a child and i saved my very first cat, Genevieve, we spayed her at 1 and a half years old and she never went in heat. Maybe it has to do with the fact that i live in an apartment?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I heard about a lot of female cats going in heat pretty early. Back when i was a child and i saved my very first cat, Genevieve, we spayed her at 1 and a half years old and she never went in heat. Maybe it has to do with the fact that i live in an apartment?
The amount of daylight may have something to do with it. All cats are different and your cat could have had silent heats.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
The amount of daylight may have something to do with it. All cats are different and your cat could have had silent heats.
Forgot about silent heats!
Anyway she is now a beautiful healthy old lady! A little overweight though but we are working on that.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cat Mia was super obvious she was on heat the first 4 times, and completely NOT interested in our little boys' advances (!) at all other times. So we thought, well this is fine then, we can keep them apart at night when she IS on heat or if we go out, when we are home we know where they are and they stay very close to us anyway so that'll also be easy - erm... well now she is due with 3-5 kittens in about 1-2 weeks.

We did actually want 1 litter of kittens, just in a few months' time when she was a bit older, not now ideally, only as we wanted her to grow a bit more first - she is now 15/16 months old - but yeah that surprised us as we were SUPER careful - we just didn't separate them when she didn't seem obviously on heat as when we watched them together they weren't interested AT ALL - and when she was on heat they totally were, they didn't care if we were in the room haha - so easy to separate them bless them. Cats sure are good at reproducing!

She is beautiful xx

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Mia was super obvious she was on heat the first 4 times, and completely NOT interested in our little boys' advances (!) at all other times. So we thought, well this is fine then, we can keep them apart at night when she IS on heat or if we go out, when we are home we know where they are and they stay very close to us anyway so that'll also be easy - erm... well now she is due with 3-5 kittens in about 1-2 weeks.

We did actually want 1 litter of kittens, just in a few months' time when she was a bit older, not now ideally, only as we wanted her to grow a bit more first - she is now 15/16 months old - but yeah that surprised us as we were SUPER careful - we just didn't separate them when she didn't seem obviously on heat as when we watched them together they weren't interested AT ALL - and when she was on heat they totally were, they didn't care if we were in the room haha - so easy to separate them bless them. Cats sure are good at reproducing!

She is beautiful xx
I think cats have some kind of superpower. They don't even need to be in the same room to reproduce!
It's weird how they learned how to hide certain behaviours that we don't like to see. My Genevieve loves ruining the carpet when we leave the house. But when we are at home she is an angel!
We have a lot of scratch posts but nothing is better than a nice carpet.
Be sure to spay your Mia as soon as possible though.. it's the best thing you can do for her. Being in heat is no pleasure for them, and the whole process is painful, giving birth too.
My mum told me our aunt's cat Nefer ( that died at 19 years old a few weeks ago poor baby) had kittens once, and she struggled a lot with the birth, she almost died, all of her kittens died..terrible situation. Thanks god my aunt saw that she was struggling and she took her to the vet for a c-section. After this whole thing she immediatly regreted and spayed her.
Be sure to keep an eye on your cat so you can be by her side when she gives birth, they are extremely vulnerable at that time and she will need all of your support.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think cats have some kind of superpower. They don't even need to be in the same room to reproduce!
It's weird how they learned how to hide certain behaviours that we don't like to see. My Genevieve loves ruining the carpet when we leave the house. But when we are at home she is an angel!
We have a lot of scratch posts but nothing is better than a nice carpet.
Be sure to spay your Mia as soon as possible though.. it's the best thing you can do for her. Being in heat is no pleasure for them, and the whole process is painful, giving birth too.
My mum told me our aunt's cat Nefer ( that died at 19 years old a few weeks ago poor baby) had kittens once, and she struggled a lot with the birth, she almost died, all of her kittens died..terrible situation. Thanks god my aunt saw that she was struggling and she took her to the vet for a c-section. After this whole thing she immediatly regreted and spayed her.
Be sure to keep an eye on your cat so you can be by her side when she gives birth, they are extremely vulnerable at that time and she will need all of your support.
Yes we definitely will do, we cancelled our plans next weekend to make sure we are with her in case she gives birth then xx

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HUH...my cousin was like that. Three sets of twin daughters in three years. She had herself spayed immediately after the third. And they could well-afford having six in college at once. Not many can.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little update, Milo's new family took him today, and he is doing AMAZING. They fell in love with him immediatly and he loves them too! He is such a cool kitten. They had a carrier to use in their way home if the car would stress him but they only held him in their arms and he was so calm he even fell asleep! After he explored the whole house they played with him for hours, they fed him, and he slept in their arms again! I can't believe how much he progressed, he was so scared of people when i found him, and now he is the most loving kitten :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such good news. And it's a fear of mine. Sable (Turbo Terror) goes to her new home Wed or Thurs. The new owners have never even seen her and I don't think they know what they're getting themselves into. (she got the nickname Turbo Terror for a reason).
I am so glad that Milo and his new family get along.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Little update, Milo's new family took him today, and he is doing AMAZING. They fell in love with him immediatly and he loves them too! He is such a cool kitten. They had a carrier to use in their way home if the car would stress him but they only held him in their arms and he was so calm he even fell asleep! After he explored the whole house they played with him for hours, they fed him, and he slept in their arms again! I can't believe how much he progressed, he was so scared of people when i found him, and now he is the most loving kitten :)
Good job.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think they might have around 10 weeks. Definitely older than 8 weeks anyway, the first day i took them i thought they were much smaller.[/QUOT
10-12 weeks should really be the minimum, especially if they are being adopted solo.
I am so happy that you (and the vet?) believe the kittens are closer to 10 weeks. I've haven't been able to forget that the age of 10-12 weeks was never, actually, explained. Now, it does look like it's not as issue for your kittens, but I would like to answer the question, as best I know. We define "weaned" as just that the babies (any species) no longer need milk, that they eat on their own, kittens are pretty much there at 6 weeks. It's just fine if they suckle a bit longer, as they are growing so rapidly that all nutrition is beneficial. Now, the reason it is best to keep babies with their mothers, with their siblings, is 8 to 12 weeks is when they learn manners, they learn HOW to play. Mommy and siblings, teach each other, not to use claws and bite hard. When kittens are removed from the family too soon those lessons have not yet been learned. That is why talkingpeanut commented about "especially if they are being adopted solo". If adopted with a sibling, or there is another cat in the house, those lessons continue. Of course just having a cat already doesn't guarantee teaching will occur, that depends on the cat.
Kittens removed from the family too soon are the ones that do not understand that they need to keep their claws sheathed, and/or not bite too hard, when playing. Then those kittens, often, end up being mistreated and/or abandoned. A new family is not going to have any idea why the cat scratches and bites. Those cats, too often, get euthanized because scratching and biting can be dangerous.
So kittens are "weaned" between 6 to 8 weeks. But, they still have lessons learn, for, at least, another few weeks.
I hope I explained that okay. Simply to answer a question asked.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is such good news. And it's a fear of mine. Sable (Turbo Terror) goes to her new home Wed or Thurs. The new owners have never even seen her and I don't think they know what they're getting themselves into. (she got the nickname Turbo Terror for a reason).
I am so glad that Milo and his new family get along.
I find that scary. Do you have an agreement that you will take Sable back, if she doesn't work out. Please make that very clear. I know people have surrendered to shelters because they didn't know what they are getting into. Tell them in detail and show videos.
Back when I had any kittens, I had a time when I did take a kitten back. When the woman called and asked if I would, she sounded surprised (and relieved) when I said yes. I thought I had made it clear I would take any kitten back. I'm sure glad she called!