a stray pregnant cat..

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found q stray cat that is pregnant and im worried she'll eat them.... Will she?? And what causes cats to eat their babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats do not eat their babies. Once in a while, a cat will reject a kitten that has something wrong with it. Most cats have a mothering instinct that begins during pregnancy. They become very affectionate and take very good care of their babies when they are born.

Here is a link to get you atarted:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-pregnancy

We have many good articles on cat pregnancy and kittens that you may wish to read.

Why don't you post a picture of your cat and tell us a little more about her.

Have you made a nest for her to use? What are you feeding her? She needs kitten chow and lots of wet food. Is she friendly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i have made a nest for her to use and I'm feeding her normal hard cat food called, Meow Mix. And yes she is friendly.  But now she is pooping a lot and she is very anxious she is dumping her water and spilling her food and then eating her food really fast.. shes also running around meowing and nesting.. What does that mean? Is she alright?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is probably going into labor. This makes many first-time mama cats frantic because they do not understand the pain.

Try sitting quietly with her and rubbing her belly if she'll let you. Or gently stroke her head and back. Anything to calm her. But you need to remain calm.

Can you post a picture of her?

Also, you'll need to feed her wet food so she can make good milk for her babies and keep her energy up. How long have you had her?

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please answer this is very important.... Is she going into labor?

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry i didn't see the above message.. and okay..

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had her for maybe two weeks and I'll have to find a pic of her....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. She is somewhat comfortable with you now. She is most likely starting labor, which can last awhile - sometimes a couple of days.

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks you're being a big help...! Why does cat labor last so long?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is like human labor. It has stages, during which the body prepares to actually give birth. It is a complex physiological process of muscle groups and organs working together to put the babies in the birth canal. Dilation is slow and it takes contractions to make all this happen and to push babies out. I myself was in labor for 19 hours before my daughter was born. Prior to that I did not feel great for a few days as my body prepared for the big job. It's just the way that humans and animals are made.

Has your cat calmed down some now?

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes my cat has calmed down a little and is just laying on the floor sleeping...

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the past couple of weeks, since you had her, have you felt and saw her kittens move? And if so, how long ago did it start?

You shouldn't worry about her eating her kittens. It happens very rarely, and something really must have happened for her to do such things. Most cat births go naturally without any problem and they will instinctly know what to do.

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now my cat is biting and chewing on things and not eating as much as she used to and she just keeps being really anxious..... What does this mean?

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of her kittens died will they all die

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of them died at birth and the other died after being a few hours old.…... Will they all die will they be alright i cant stop crying i cant even take it

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many kittens are there?  Is the mom feeding and cleaning them?  you may need to supplement the kittens if she isn't.

willowpine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She keeps laying on them and she wont let them nurse so we have to hold her down and make the kittens drink i dont even know if she has milk..... My favorite kitten died i dont know what to do and she had 7 but now she only has five will they all die please answer quickly i cant live like this