A second Chance in life...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

i'm delighted chance has been adopted and understand your feelings too. you have really been through the mill with this little man. it is totally understandable that you would feel terribly protective towards him.

my daughter is 15 and she loves our cats to bits, but she can be a bit full on with them at times. however, they all love her and spend a lot of time with her so i guess it's not a problem to them!

i'm thinking that this girl was probably pretty excited and maybe she hasn't learnt any kitty manners yet. they'll be a follow up visit as well though won't there?

Thanks for your understanding and kind words

This girl has a cat at home, an adult female. I was telling a friend that if Chance wasn't the nice kitty that he is, she'd have her face scratched off. Yes, there will be a follow-up visit. I will be dropping by perhaps in two weeks time to see how he's fitting in, especially with the adult female cat they already have. If I can get some pictures, I'll post them up here for you

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful... The new owners brought Chance to a vet for a comprehensive check-up and found out that he has heart murmur. I have no idea what that is, or what it means.. Will be posting about this in the Health & Nutrition section after doing some research. Just thought I'd post here for those who have been following up on his story. I'm so worried...

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't know what the inplications are for heart murmers in cats, but my collie has a heart murmur and it does not affect his quality of life at all. hopefully this will be the case for little chance too.

i'm sure that you will get some good advice from the h & n section. i know it's easy to say but try not to worry, at least it's been picked up and can be treated as necessary.

on a lighter note it's great that he is with another cat in his new home, fingers crossed they'll get on really well.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Updates from the adoptive family in my email copied in blue below
If they send over any pictures I'll be sure to put them up here to share with you.

By the way, the teenaged girl that I was complaining about is not Chance's meowmy, she passed him over to her aunt. From her email, she sounds delighted to have him

Hi Lynn & Phyllis

I would like to thank you for the trust & give us the opportunity to take care of Chance. We have renamed him "Kid". Why did we rename him???? The reason is all family members must have names start with the alphabet "K" - it runs in the family
In-fact, I like the name Chance & was thinking of changing it to Khance but it sounds quite close to my husband's name. The name Kid is picked by my husband & I think it seems to suit him well - since he is such a naughty & playful boy

We took him to The Animals Doctors last evening for a body check-up. Dr Chan was not on duty yesterday, therefore, Dr Chionh attended to him. He was given ear & skin treatments as we told her that he is one of them from Toa Payoh. Dr Chan highlighted that she heard a little heart murmur, therefore, we need to observe him carefully. I will bring him for a body check-up maybe every three weeks to a month till he is six months old which will be tell better.

He is now placed a three storey cage. He is eating & drinking well (in-fact, he ate quite a bit yesterday & have a very soft stool this morning). We will introduce him to the girls (feline) this weekend. He saw my two "old" boys (dog) & he frighten my big one hahaha
Kid was shocked to see my 2nd boy, Kilo but Kilo doesn't seem to be bother by him (he is getting used to additional of new members on & off hahaha). I have fixed an appointment for his 2nd vaccination on 28 Sep 08. Will take some pictures over the weekend & share with you. I told Kid, he can break anything at home but can't fight with his siblings
Will update again soon!

Best Regards, May

Well, looks like Chance has been renamed "Kid". I'm gonna stick with referring to him as Chance here because "Chance" means so much more to me. He now has a bunch of fur-sibilings (unknown number of cats and two doggies)! How exciting

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that really sounds brilliant! they seem to know all about cat introductions and i love the bit about trashing the house but not fighting with his siblings! that is my way of thinking too!

wow! what a journey you and that little guy have been on! i realise it must be terribly quiet without him now but i reckon a little piece of chance will remain in your heart forever.

can't wait to see pics of him in his new home, what a lovely, happy ending for him!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chance's new owner has kindly sent some photos of him in her house. Here he is trying quite hard to camouflage himself into her floor

I love the last photo
My little foster boy... Awwwwww~

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh good grief i have just melted completely at those photos of the adorably cute chance!

he looks really happy too.
i bet you feel comforted seeing those pics!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I feel comforted knowing that his new owner loves him very much, and seems to be knowledgeable about cats. I have yet to visit him as they need time to get him settled as well as introduce him to the rest of his fur-family. Looking forward to seeing him soon, and of course, take pictures
When I see him I'll be sure to tell him he's got a fan in you,Tab

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
please do! i've really enjoyed following chance's story and i'm so very, very happy that he got the home he deserves.

i agree with you over giving them all some time to get used to each other, as tempting as it must be to race over there now!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Chance brought a tear of happiness in my eyes. He is a very special little guy and deserves the very best in life. I am so happy for him!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww... Chance is definitely a brave, forgiving little boy. Despite all he's been through he still has a cheery disposition.

Good news regarding the heart murmur - his owner has brought him to a vet, who examined and declared that his heart sounded normal, NO MURMUR!!

I will be visiting him next Wednesday. Am excited and counting down... Wonder if he remembers me? Check back here for pictures of him. I do hope I'll get nice ones

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just received new photos from Chance's owner! The other kitten with Chance followed Chance's owner home, and has become Chance's new playmate
His name is Kemin (I'm not sure how to pronounce that though... I'll find out when I meet them next Wednesday).

Thanks for my new friend!

Meowmy, have you seen my feet anywhere?

I can't wait to grow into my box, then I stuff myself uncomfortably into it just like my big brothers and sisters!

Who's got time for meowmy when we have TOYS?

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, more pictures of the precious Chance!!
It's so wonderful you are still getting updates and pictures of him.
And even better that you are sharing with us!!

I'm so glad he got what seems like such a great home! He is a special boy and definitely deserves it.
And how wonderful that his old room mate got to come and be his brother, too!!
The only thing better than one happy ending is two happy endings!!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Yay, more pictures of the precious Chance!!
It's so wonderful you are still getting updates and pictures of him.
And even better that you are sharing with us!!

I'm so glad he got what seems like such a great home! He is a special boy and definitely deserves it.
And how wonderful that his old room mate got to come and be his brother, too!!
The only thing better than one happy ending is two happy endings!!
Thanks for letting me share the pix! TCSers have been as much a part of Chance's journey as I have been, since I've been sharing all his ups and downs with all of you

Sorry, I wasn't clear on Chance's playmate. He's not Chance's roommate back at the lousy old lady's house. It happened that Chance's new meowmy was out shopping one day and this little guy latched onto her and followed her home. He was covered in fleas, but has since been cured, so he and Chance have become sworn "brothers"! Chance's owner is still deciding if she should let him stay or find him another good furever home since she's up to her eyeballs in furbabies.

Of course I hope she'll keep him since he's about Chance's age and seems to make a fabulous playmate for him

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really bad photography alert (I need a proper camera!)

I visted Chance at his new home yesterday (Sunday). May (his new owner) has a veritable zoo in her house, and I'm happy to say that each and every animal is very well taken care of and very happy.

Let me first introduce the dogs. She has a 9 yr old collie named Kobi, and an 8 yr old corgi named Kilo. They are both very handsome, friendly dogs, who get along well with all of May's cats.

Kobi was sold as a Shetland sheepdog at an irresponsible breeder's. May bought him thinking he would be a small dog, but he ended up growing into a mini horse. In addition, he also had very serious joint problems (socket too small for his joints) and had to undergo 6 operations in 6 years. May says he's a fighter, hardly complained during the painful medical procedures
Now his hindlegs are still weak, but this is the best he'll ever be, and I have no doubt that its because of May's care and patience that he's able to walk at all.

Kobi - happy boy who looks half his actual age

Kilo is extremely friendly, and LOVES to play fetch. At 8 years old, his stamina easily rivals that of a much younger dog. He tirelessly fetches whatever toys you throw for him, and brings it back for more. He also effortlessly catches most of the toys in mid-air! Amazingly fun boy.

Kilo - smiley corgi with tons of personality, and stamina!

Onto the cats. First up is this beautiful big white boy with gorgeous odd-coloured eyes named Kola. He loves humans and dogs, but absolutely hates other cats. He was accidentally let out from his room once and started a huge fight with May's two adult girls. He stays in May's bedroom, and has claimed the massage chair as his own. His tail was kinked, and cysts kept growing in the kink, causing him a lot of discomfort and distress. At the vet's recommendation, May arranged for his tail to be amputated, and he's a much happier cat after that. Thank goodness the cysts were not cancerous.

Kola - happy and accomodating, just not toward his own kind

May also has two adult female cats. A shy beautiful black and white, and a grey-white tabby who is extremely people-aggressive. I didn't take any photos of them because I didn't want to stress them out. The black and white came to sniff me, which surprised May since she usually runs from strangers.

Next up, the KITTENS! This is Keming (pronounce it as Ker-ming, its a Chinese name). This luvbug hopped onto May's lap and asked to be brought home. He and Chance have become the best of pals! Look how handsome he is!

Keming - the only kitty who's still scared of the dogs

And finally CHANCE!

Chance and Keming are so close, they insist on eating from the same bowl and polishing that off together before moving onto the next bowl. They even go to the toilet together!

Chance is absolutely unafraid of curious Kilo. He even rolls over to play when Kilo comes ambling along.

Chance is doing well, playing like mad and enjoying life with his feline and canine friends, and a very good owner. Unfortunately his diarrhoea is back. May's vet is stumped. He's not responding to Bene-Bac anymore either. I advised her to get him back on diet of Instinct and just keep up the medication and see how it goes.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Chance is doing well, playing like mad and enjoying life with his feline and canine friends, and a very good owner. Unfortunately his diarrhoea is back. May's vet is stumped. He's not responding to Bene-Bac anymore either. I advised her to get him back on diet of Instinct and just keep up the medication and see how it goes.
Has he been thoroughly checked for internal parasites, particularly giardia and coccidia?

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Has he been thoroughly checked for internal parasites, particularly giardia and coccidia?
Yes he has. The vet checked him over and analyzed his stool sample. Couldn't find a thing! Its very strange really. The vet advised that he be put on a diet of boiled rice and egg. That seems to be working. His stool looked harder yesterday. I'm waiting to see if I get any updates from May today.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are three parasites that are very difficult to find without very specific tests. I don't know how common they are outside the U.S., but they can result in the symptoms Chance has shown. We have trouble detecting them here, sometimes.

I felt really bad that one of the kittens at our shelter was put to sleep for a failure to respond to treatment for just one of them, without being tested.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

There are three parasites that are very difficult to find without very specific tests. I don't know how common they are outside the U.S., but they can result in the symptoms Chance has shown. We have trouble detecting them here, sometimes.

I felt really bad that one of the kittens at our shelter was put to sleep for a failure to respond to treatment for just one of them, without being tested.
Oh no! Poor kitten! What three parasites are those? I'll check with May to see if Chance has been checked for these particular three.