A New "Raw"some Beginning... (yup - another one LOL)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
15  .8 oz bags in 12 oz.
Thank you LOL!

So yep, it just about equals what we pay for the 12 ounce bags. Perfect Perfect. Someone at S&C is brilliant, LOL. I'm going to write and tell Emily I think so.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Lauren saves $4 for the individual bags instead of the 12 ounce bag. :)
Not really. 12 small bags at 1.59 is $19.08, but 12 bags is not equal to 12 ounces, 15 bags is equal to 12 ounces so the comparative price is &23.85 . :lol3::lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now I'm the one without the functioning brain. :lol3: I thought Lauren meant the small bags also total 12 ounces - obviously the point of asking about 12 bags x 0.8oz didn't click. :doh3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooooooo I am busting a gut :flail: because it even took me some heavy thinking to calculate the price between the single portion bags compared to the large bags. Laurie, your brain works just fine. The owner of the natural food store looked completely stumped :scratch: when I asked her to help me figure out the cost different between the two sizes. :lol3:

GOOD JOB, S&C!!!!!!!! keeping the cost the same and making a single serving package simple, quick and easy to feed for customers!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter works at Petco and they are going to start carrying Nature's Variety frozen raw!!! That means I will get a discount :D :clap::clap::clap:. They don't have their freezer set up yet in the store but soon.

I did pick up the new product at my natural pet food store the other day. NV Raw Right Bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the chicken. The surprising thing about the one bag I have is that the bone content is practically null. In the medallions there are many more bone fragments. In the Right Bites - I didn't even see any bones. AND the cats LOVE them. I just don't know the cost comparison yet because the sample bag I got was free. I won't be buying them if NV is going to charge more just for the convenience of the smaller bites. UNLESS - I notice that the bone fragments are less which I don't know why that would be. :dk:

OH I also bought some Vital Essentials chicken patties. Hoping Pipsqueak would like them. He did not! :slant: Usually he loves chicken. I just think he was holding out for the Rad Cat which he is addicted. Walden and Wendall loved the VE chicken. The others.................... well..................... here we go again. :rofl: No biggie if they don't like it as the dogs will eat it up. :D

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really? :wow: GO PETCO! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And yes - the VE is good stuff. :nod: Juicy, no veggies.... of course none of the fussies liked it - that would be too easy! :lol3: :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really? :wow: GO PETCO! :clap: :clap: :clap:
And yes - the VE is good stuff. :nod: Juicy, no veggies.... of course none of the fussies liked it - that would be too easy! :lol3: :hugs:
YEAH..... :frusty: I REALLY love the look of the meat, Laurie. Red and juicy meat. :nod: I am going to TRY to convince them to like it. FORTIFLORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes2: I think Pipsqueak just needs a few days to get used to the smell of the new brand of chicken. :cross: Remember, the Pipster HATES toppings!!! He still completely refuses Rad Cat Lamb. :lol2:

Last edited:

jackjackbojack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

I read your post on raw. I have two cats on the natures variety raw rabbit. They love it. My mario has been on it for years. Dolly has been on it for awhile. I had whiskers on it until he got urinary blockage..I tried to put him on wet natures vareity rabbit and he had problems again. I know the worst food is dry....I have seven cats and with seven different diets. I would love to have them all on raw, but I have a few who refuse. I am trying to get them to eat more wet and less dry. I use holistic vets because of everything I have seen them be able to do...There are times that allopaths have been super esp when whiskers had surgery. I believe that holistic is a better approach per food among other things.

So as it stands now, I have two cats eating raw rabbit...one cat eating nv wet...and the rest eating the rx food from the vet....At least I have two of these eating wet...I continue to offer wet to the other two along with the dry.

When it comes to changing out food with my cats, its horrible with some of them... But, there is less fecus with raw. And its better for them. I do suppl. extra taurine with the raw rabbit. Many articles I have read say that dogs and cats were not designed to eat dry food, grains, and all those extra carbs. I do what my vets suggest. I have seen people get into terrible arguements over food. 

I try to be opened minded, but i sure do like the raw too.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there

I read your post on raw. I have two cats on the natures variety raw rabbit. They love it. My mario has been on it for years. Dolly has been on it for awhile. I had whiskers on it until he got urinary blockage..I tried to put him on wet natures vareity rabbit and he had problems again. I know the worst food is dry....I have seven cats and with seven different diets. I would love to have them all on raw, but I have a few who refuse. I am trying to get them to eat more wet and less dry. I use holistic vets because of everything I have seen them be able to do...There are times that allopaths have been super esp when whiskers had surgery. I believe that holistic is a better approach per food among other things.

So as it stands now, I have two cats eating raw rabbit...one cat eating nv wet...and the rest eating the rx food from the vet....At least I have two of these eating wet...I continue to offer wet to the other two along with the dry.

When it comes to changing out food with my cats, its horrible with some of them... But, there is less fecus with raw. And its better for them. I do suppl. extra taurine with the raw rabbit. Many articles I have read say that dogs and cats were not designed to eat dry food, grains, and all those extra carbs. I do what my vets suggest. I have seen people get into terrible arguements over food. 

I try to be opened minded, but i sure do like the raw too.
Hi!! Thanks for dropping in here. It can be quite a challenge to feed multiple kitties who have differing tastes and likes and VERY frustrating. Raw feeding is the best diet for cats :nod: but getting some of our kitties there is a long road. But I can attest it was worth the effort. I still, after ten months, have issues with one or two of mine and then out come the BIG GUNS.... Fortiflora :rolleyes: I do not like having to rely on that, but it really works to get them back on track if they decide to waver.

I wish you the best of luck with your seven. There are tons of great threads here in the Forum - especially the Raw Resource Feeding Thread. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

Last edited:

jackjackbojack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
pet the stella and chewys freeze dry...I was going to put my kitties on this product. I talk to my vet locally. Well, afterwards, I changed my mind. My vet wanted to know about whether or not the dry could cause digestive problems like blockage etc... I said I didnt know...Then if one decides to mix the freeze dry with water, it becomes like raw and it cant stay out more tha 1/2hour. if dry can be like kibble...but then I dont know about digestive...Perhaps there is nothing wrong with freeze dried....But after the problems I have had with my kitties, I prefer to play it safe.

I do like stella and chewy. they do make good products...And it seems to be the rage now with freeze dried. Even natures vareity has come out with freeze dried too. I am going to wait and see if there are any problems that develop overall before trying my cats on it.

jackjackbojack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree about raw. Mario has been on it for about 4 years now. He has beautiful fur....He eats rabbit. The only one thing I want to say here is my holistic vet has me suppls the rabbit with additional taurine. The rabbit is lower in taruine then say chicken. He loves it...but then again he loves food. Whiskers would love to eat raw again, but with the urniary blockage, I am listening to the vets. I tried to put him back on raw mixed with the royal canin. He got bladder infection with blood. My vets would like to see him eating raw, but if he cant tolerateit, so be it.

I agree with you about raw being the best. Theres mostly meat with some veggies in it. (natures vareity). Funny thing with the shortage of nv raw, I trie dot put mario on some other raw rabbit companies foods. He hated them He loves the NV.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about raw. Mario has been on it for about 4 years now. He has beautiful fur....He eats rabbit. The only one thing I want to say here is my holistic vet has me suppls the rabbit with additional taurine. The rabbit is lower in taruine then say chicken. He loves it...but then again he loves food. Whiskers would love to eat raw again, but with the urniary blockage, I am listening to the vets. I tried to put him back on raw mixed with the royal canin. He got bladder infection with blood. My vets would like to see him eating raw, but if he cant tolerateit, so be it.

I agree with you about raw being the best. Theres mostly meat with some veggies in it. (natures vareity). Funny thing with the shortage of nv raw, I trie dot put mario on some other raw rabbit companies foods. He hated them He loves the NV.
You only feed rabbit? No other meats? Is there a reason for that? Mario has been on NV rabbit exclusive for the last 4 years?

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pet the stella and chewys freeze dry...I was going to put my kitties on this product. I talk to my vet locally. Well, afterwards, I changed my mind. My vet wanted to know about whether or not the dry could cause digestive problems like blockage etc... I said I didnt know...Then if one decides to mix the freeze dry with water, it becomes like raw and it cant stay out more tha 1/2hour. if dry can be like kibble...but then I dont know about digestive...Perhaps there is nothing wrong with freeze dried....But after the problems I have had with my kitties, I prefer to play it safe.

I do like stella and chewy. they do make good products...And it seems to be the rage now with freeze dried. Even natures vareity has come out with freeze dried too. I am going to wait and see if there are any problems that develop overall before trying my cats on it.
Hi and Welcome!

Stella&Chewy's freeze dried raw is not meant to be fed dry. It is meant to be re-hydrated with water, and no it should not be left out. Only feed as much as the cat can eat in one sitting.

My Queen Eva has been eating one meal of S&C chicken (10 nuggets re-hydrated with water) every day for the past 5 months. It was the first raw I started her on. Just that one meal, in addition to her usual canned foods, made a huge positive difference in her health. She is eating a lot of other raw in addition to the S&C now, but still has the one Stella&Chewy meal every day, too.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

YIKES.... I have to say and please forgive me.... but your vet asked you about whether or not dry could cause digestive upset or blockages?! :eek: That is one thing that drives me batty about vets. They don't seem to know about cat nutrition and don't receive proper training on nutrition in medical school. :sigh: Just like for humans - Nutrition = good health. Same for cats, who are obligate carnivores and need meat - fresh meat to survive. For cats - Meat = good health. :nod: Believe me, I am no pro on cat nutrition, but I am learning and I think some vets are now seeing the light too.

Freeze dried raw products are meant to be rehydrated with water. You are correct in that you would not want to leave that sitting out more than about 30 minutes. It is raw. :nod: My cats love the S&C freeze dried Chicken and the S&C freeze dried Lamb (dog patties). You can feed the S&C dog patties as they contain taurine :D You can feed the freeze dried - dry - but I don't recommend it and neither does S&C. They do say to add water on their packages.

Last edited:

jackjackbojack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet is very knowledgable about food and diet. She practices holistic and reads labels. It because through her I learned how to figure carbs in cat food. She gave me a forumla... Perhaps the vets you have used dont know that much about good quality foods. She was very concerned about feeding feeze dried. She brought up the possiblity that there could be problems.

Each of us must decide what we think is good for our kitties. I rely on what she says. My cats have done very well from holisitc care. I use tons of suppls in addition to the holistic foods. I love the raw food. However, I do understand that mixing freeze dry with water makes it more like raw....I am just not sold on freeze dry. I know and read the instructions per the freeze dry. Its a matter of choice. I just prefer to the natures vareity raw (instinct) and cans too. Our other holistic vet is very big on diet. Its because of her that my mario was cured of vaccinosis and whiskers was cured of rodent ucler.

My vets are really into diet. In the past, I remember dealing with vets who knew very little about food and wanted to push pills and vaccines on me. Now days, I refuse vaccines. I keep them inside.

My cats wouldnt even come near the freeze dried when I mixed it and put it down.  So I tried a couple pieces dry just to see if they would smell it. They wanted nothing to do with the product.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But freeze dried raw food is raw. :D It is the exact same food the manufacturers make frozen, just frozen at such a cold temperature that the moisture is removed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze-drying

Adding water is recommended by all of them, they are intended to be provided rehydrated. The nutritional content of Nature's Variety frozen raw rabbit is EXACTLY the same as would be freeze dried rabbit, if they had such a product.

I think NV only provides freeze dried lamb, chicken, and beef. But they are the exact same foods as the frozen varieties, they simply have the water removed. Anyone feeding it is supposed to add them back.

The only need for freeze dried is convenience. Lower shipping cost, or for people traveling with their animals... if you're providing your food at home, unless you want to leave something out that won't spoil, there's really no need to use it. You CAN feed it dry, if you want to leave food out for them during a period of time when you're not home. It can also be used as a nutritious snack or treat. :)

But the macronutrient content changes not one iota.

Last edited: