A New "Raw"some Beginning... (yup - another one LOL)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's SO convenient that they love those freeze dried patties! Mine really aren't fans of the FD stuff. :dk: The S&C chicken I can get them to eat rehydrated sometimes.

Let's just hope your gang continues to enjoy the ground stuff! :lol3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God Lauren I have a blast reading your posts - you are just SOOOOOOO happy :lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3:
I love it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Great meals you are having there - I can't believe the strides your crew is making, especially the PIA's :thud: How fun! :blobpink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's SO convenient that they love those freeze dried patties! Mine really aren't fans of the FD stuff. :dk: The S&C chicken I can get them to eat rehydrated sometimes.
Let's just hope your gang continues to enjoy the ground stuff! :lol3:
Oh my God Lauren I have a blast reading your posts - you are just SOOOOOOO happy :lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3:
I love it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Great meals you are having there - I can't believe the strides your crew is making, especially the PIA's :thud: How fun! :blobpink:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :hugs::hugs: I AM so happy - and it really has been making such a difference in my cat's too. I don't fret now if they refuse a meal... I just try to offer them something else and getting "sneaky" about the offering's IS so much fun. :D :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELL................ The Pipster finally tasted the Nautre's Menu Lamb :sheep: for the first time this morning - only about 1/4 tsp. and then (drum roll, please.........:barf: :nausea: :sick: ...............) yep - MAN he is just totally sensitive to "red" meats. I am pretty sure he has to be a poultry/rabbit only raw eater. I learned that today. So far since we have started this process - he has barfed up ..... Nature's Logic Rabbit (very red meat and lots of fruit powder :nono:, Nature's Variety Venison, Nature's Variety Beef, Nature's Menu Lamb. He tolerates Nature's Variety Organic Chicken, Nature's Variety Rabbit, Nature's Menu Turkey. Today I have Nature's Variety Chicken thawing - I am excited to see WHO will LOVE that one :flail: and who will not :bigmouth: ANY BETS ANYONE???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :2cts:

Walden and Wendall had NM Lamb - poor Wendall - he is sick of that one.. ONLY ONE PATTIE LEFT BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2: I will not be ordering anymore NM Lamb. Not a favorite at all - not even with Wilbur :rolleyes: IF the NM Chicken is a big hit then I will order more of that and more of the turkey. Might even try their beef... the guy at NM said that he would give me a free bag of beef to try IF one of the other's didn't work out. Such a great guy, John was his name :nod:

After Pipster's puking, he was still so hungry and just begging for the NVO (organic -just so you know that is the new code :lol2:) Chicken. SO I did not wait until his stomach settled. I just fed Perkins, Presley and Pip the NVO chicken. They all ate about 1 12/ ounce :rockout: OH let's see - the :princess: WELL - she refused her EVO beef - and even refused some rehydrated S&C Lamb. :wife: (pulls hair - we need a smiley that does that too :lol3:) SO momma took her into the bathroom for a special feeding. Fromm Salmon - she needs to get her Lysine every day so I have to work a little extra harder with her at times. I notice that she is an every other day Miss Piggy. :dk: Not sure why. But yesterday and especially last night, she must have eaten at least two days worth of food. She gobbled up the raw chicken that I mixed in with the Weruva Paw Lickin chicken yesterday. So will do the same thing for dinner with her today :cross:

I am seriously going to order the Hare Today Rabbit :cross: and maybe the pork. I want my freezer to be a happy freezer and be full of wonderful choices for the two W rawsome carnies and the four PImyA's (:hmm: I think adding an "s" on the end of PImyA means I have more than one AS$) :dk: :scratch: :spit: :think: :flail: :dunce: :smirk:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so happy that things are progressing so nicely over your way
(And it was John at NM that helped ME too, and is sending me a free bag of chicken...should be here Fridiay
)

I guess with six different eaters, you must have a spreadsheet on your new freezer telling who eats what, huh?  I know just with FOUR I will have to have something else I'll be feeding everyone the wrong stuff. 

Wow, the Pipster surely does have a sensitive stomach if 1/4 teas made him
.  Amazing!  My Tinky (Stinkpot) has a sensitive stomach, but just in the way that he refuses pretty much most stuff I put in front of him

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...and the four PImyA's (:hmm: I think adding an "s" on the end of PImyA means I have more than one AS$) :dk: :scratch: :spit: :think: :flail: :dunce: :smirk:
:spit: :flail: Maybe... PsImyA? (Pains in my .... ) :dk: :lol3:

So if the Pipster can only have light meats, maybe try a pound of quail or pheasant from HT? :dk: Or the duck! Mine didn't take to it right away, but even Shel is eating the ground now! :eek: Just giving you HAPPY FREEZER options! :flail: :clap:

And weird about Perla - Spooky seems to do that sometimes too! I have no idea what's up with that!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy that things are progressing so nicely over your way :clap: :clap: :clap: (And it was John at NM that helped ME too, and is sending me a free bag of chicken...should be here Fridiay :) )

I guess with six different eaters, you must have a spreadsheet on your new freezer telling who eats what, huh?  I know just with FOUR I will have to have something else I'll be feeding everyone the wrong stuff. 

Wow, the Pipster surely does have a sensitive stomach if 1/4 teas made him :barf: .  Amazing!  My Tinky (Stinkpot) has a sensitive stomach, but just in the way that he refuses pretty much most stuff I put in front of him :lol3:
YES - I do have to keep track of who is eating what and how much. I don't have a spreadsheet though - too technical for me :rofl: I am from the old age and still use a pad of paper and pen. Kinda like a journal - works for me though :bigthumb:

Pipsqueak seriously has an issue - almost immediately and instantly if he is going to reject a new protein. AND he will vomit at least five or more times to make sure every last bit is out of his stomach :sigh: It is awful and I feel so very badly. I had been trying to get him to "taste" the NM Lamb for a couple of week's and finally this morning he gave in and ate it (a teeny amount) because he was so hungry. That could be part of it - his stomach was empty. He has never vomited up food before starting this raw transition. He is just really sensitive to the red, rich meats, I guess. He is on Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics and I do think that is helping him. BUT Lamb and Pipsqueak - is a big :nono:

AND, yep - I think John at NM is a very nice guy. Quite generous and really helpful. :nod:

Last edited:

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever you're ready for a trip, let me know!

Our freezer was getting too warm, but not turning itself on.  We'd have to turn the dial to off, then back on.  It did that more and more often, until we gave up and called Jewel.  We have a wireless thermometer that sends to a clock/thermo display, so sticking that in the freezer was really handy for keeping track of the freezer!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:spit: :flail: Maybe... PsImyA? (Pains in my .... ) :dk: :lol3:
So if the Pipster can only have light meats, maybe try a pound of quail or pheasant from HT? :dk: Or the duck! Mine didn't take to it right away, but even Shel is eating the ground now! :eek: Just giving you HAPPY FREEZER options! :flail: :clap:
And weird about Perla - Spooky seems to do that sometimes too! I have no idea what's up with that!
:lol3: My FREEZER thank's you :lol2: I was thinking that as well - a little of both the pheasant and the quail :bigthumb: GOSH - so fun just to think of ordering for my babies!! I just love this part of raw feeding. The next part - getting them to eat the stuff - :hmm: not so much.. but will say - my day's are never boring :lol3: :D AND I just LOVE LOVE so very much preparing meals, spending time trying to get them to eat the meals, and more importantly the biggest one of all- the deep connection I am building with each of my six. I don't know how to explain it other than that - just simply a deeper bond with each of them through this process. I have to take each cat as an individual in how they are taking to the raw meat's and vary each day according to that cat's needs. I think they just notice the extra special time I am putting into each meal and they love me for that - even if they don't always eat the meal - they do notice...... some consolation in that!!!! :lovegrin: :heart3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: My FREEZER thank's you :lol2: I was thinking that as well - a little of both the pheasant and the quail :bigthumb: GOSH - so fun just to think of ordering for my babies!! I just love this part of raw feeding.
It's funny how "little" things like this can be so exciting! :lol3: But I agree - picking and choosing new things to try is so much fun! :clap:

The next part - getting them to eat the stuff - :hmm: not so much.. but will say - my day's are never boring :lol3: :D
Well, the fun here is figuring out how to get tricky and get them to eat! :anon: :rub:

AND I just LOVE LOVE so very much preparing meals, spending time trying to get them to eat the meals, and more importantly the biggest one of all- the deep connection I am building with each of my six. I don't know how to explain it other than that - just simply a deeper bond with each of them through this process. I have to take each cat as an individual in how they are taking to the raw meat's and vary each day according to that cat's needs. I think they just notice the extra special time I am putting into each meal and they love me for that - even if they don't always eat the meal - they do notice...... some consolation in that!!!! :lovegrin: :heart3:
:rub: :rub:
Yep, almost every meal gets some kind of individual adjustment. :lol3: I really don't know if mine notice the special attention... they definitely notice it takes longer to get the meals ready. :flail: I do know they've had a good meal when not only do they eat all of their food, but after the meal, after grooming, Tuxie, Lazlo, and Billy find a place to sit and knead and purr. :rub:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever you're ready for a trip, let me know!

Our freezer was getting too warm, but not turning itself on.  We'd have to turn the dial to off, then back on.  It did that more and more often, until we gave up and called Jewel.  We have a wireless thermometer that sends to a clock/thermo display, so sticking that in the freezer was really handy for keeping track of the freezer!
I will keep an eye on my freezer then :para2: So far it has been behaving itself and working quite well. :cross: Hopefully your replacement is working perfectly :clap: Will let you know when I have the time for the drive. Thanks!!!! :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do know they've had a good meal when not only do they eat all of their food, but after the meal, after grooming, Tuxie, Lazlo, and Billy find a place to sit and knead and purr. :rub:
:D :hugs: :rub: I DO LOVE THAT TOO...... the after a good meal, the grooming, the satisfied look they have, and then the snuggle nap times. AND it IS fun trying the new meats and seeing who loves what :D
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SO TODAY"S REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL guess what is back in the stores!!!!! Nature's Variety Rabbit :woohoo: So I have some thawing in the fridge for tomorrow. GOSH I hope they still like it :lol3: It has been awhile. Maybe Perla will start eating raw meat regularly now :cross: she has been boycotting ALL raw meat. I am able to hide fresh small cut-up pieces of raw chicken in her dinner though. :D She doesn't notice it HEE HEE

Walden and Wendall had for the first time NM Chicken - a big hit!!!!!! I mixed it with NV chicken. Tomorrow will push it to 75% NM chicken and 25% NV chicken. They are already 100% introduced to chicken anyway but I wanted to be safe with the new brand/protein.

NOW Pipsqueak just might, might like the NM chicken. It might take a few days to get him going with it. Presley will have nothing to do with it and Perkins was thinking about it. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY :frusty: do they HAVE to be SO darn finicky about anything new when it comes to the raw. I don't get it - it is chicken for goodness sakes - shouldn't it all taste the same :frusty: :smshfrk: BUT I will keep trying and keep trying. I would really love it if I could get them eating the Nature's Menu chicken like they love the NVO Chicken. No bones. So I will keep trying :D :nod:

Here is a funny :lol3:.......... SO you know Larry and I have been married for twenty-six years and I have a full set of Pickard China that serves twelve. How many times have I used this china in the last 26 years????? Maybe about three times :flail: I was looking at it tonight in the china cabinet and noticed that the small dessert plates would be great for serving raw meat to the kids. SO :rofl: the china plates are now going to get some use - FINALLY - :woohoo: the kitties going to eat in style :flail: I figured why not - if it's good enough for company that we never have over, it is good enough for the kitties :dance: :jive:

BTW :hyper: - Larry flew to Austin, Texas tonight for one day so he doesn't know about the china plates yet :crackup: BUT HEY CAROLINA - are you near Austin, Texas???? I told Larry to pick up some Rad Cat - :lol3: Yeah right - a cold day in hell :eek:nfire: when that will happen :lol2:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a funny :lol3:.......... SO you know Larry and I have been married for twenty-six years and I have a full set of Pickard China that serves twelve. How many times have I used this china in the last 26 years????? Maybe about three times :flail: I was looking at it tonight in the china cabinet and noticed that the small dessert plates would be great for serving raw meat to the kids. SO :rofl: the china plates are now going to get some use - FINALLY - :woohoo: the kitties going to eat in style :flail: I figured why not - if it's good enough for company that we never have over, it is good enough for the kitties :dance: :jive:
BTW :hyper: - Larry flew to Austin, Texas tonight for one day so he doesn't know about the china plates yet :crackup: BUT HEY CAROLINA - are you near Austin, Texas???? I told Larry to pick up some Rad Cat - :lol3: Yeah right - a cold day in hell :eek:nfire: when that will happen :lol2:
:lol: about the china - I too have some special ones.... The ones that the kitties eat - you can often see in the videos Ipost, the white porcelain with flowers on them... these for example:

Well.... I don't eat on them.... They were painted by my grandmother..... She is 99 years old :clap: and she still paints everyday :clap::clap::clap: Every time I go to Brazil I get a bunch of thing from her - I have TONS - for my walls, all over my house - she does beautiful work.... but it just so happens that they are shaped perfectly for the kitties, especially to serve raw meat..... even better for cut meats! I just never found anything better!
I posted that video of them eating turkey on the catlovers group page on youtube..... My aunt say it... "fancy kitties these of yours.... eating on china painted by grandma!" Oh my, I wanted to disappear - All the grandkids want these china and there is Bugsy, eating a big slab of raw turkey on it :flail:
Oh well..... 4-paws, bu great grand-kids all the same, right? At least in my :heart3: they are! :clap:

You totally should tell Larry to get some Rad Cat!! :clap::clap::clap: I am not in Austin..... But he can go to a store, put it in a styrofoam box, and take it in the plane as cargo :clap::clap::clap::clap: I do this all the time back home with shrimp - works well :clap::clap::clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol: about the china - I too have some special ones.... The ones that the kitties eat - you can often see in the videos Ipost, the white porcelain with flowers on them... these for example:

Well.... I don't eat on them.... They were painted by my grandmother..... She is 99 years old :clap: and she still paints everyday :clap::clap::clap: Every time I go to Brazil I get a bunch of thing from her - I have TONS - for my walls, all over my house - she does beautiful work.... but it just so happens that they are shaped perfectly for the kitties, especially to serve raw meat..... even better for cut meats! I just never found anything better!
I posted that video of them eating turkey on the catlovers group page on youtube..... My aunt say it... "fancy kitties these of yours.... eating on china painted by grandma!" Oh my, I wanted to disappear - All the grandkids want these china and there is Bugsy, eating a big slab of raw turkey on it :flail:
Oh well..... 4-paws, bu great grand-kids all the same, right? At least in my :heart3: they are! :clap:
You totally should tell Larry to get some Rad Cat!! :clap::clap::clap: I am not in Austin..... But he can go to a store, put it in a styrofoam box, and take it in the plane as cargo :clap::clap::clap::clap: I do this all the time back home with shrimp - works well :clap::clap::clap:
OMG - :thud: BEAUTIFUL china, OH Carolina, incredible story about your Grandmother, it is astonishing AND she is still painting at 99 years of age ........ :wow: AMAZING!!! OMG - I would have shrunk under any available table after that comment from your Aunt about Fancy kitties :flail:.... well - they are your kids after all :D :lovegrin: ....... Nothing but the best for the kitties :D :clap::clap: Those are very special dishes :nod: :heart3:

:lol2: I asked Larry tonight when he called. He is only there for a few hours tomorrow for a meeting or two and said he would have no time to go shopping for the cat's..... WHAT - HOW COULD HE NOT HAVE TIME FOR THE BABIES :crackup: - he flies home tomorrow afternoon and is very short on time. Likely excuse :hmm: :flail:

Last edited:

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feralvr,
OH MY GOD, what a coincidence, guess what I've started using to feed the cats?  My Pickard saucers!  I've been loving feeding the cats on BONE china!  

It was my parents' wedding gift, a huge set from a relative who worked there, and I got the china when my mom updated (to Corelle, I am not kidding).  It's made me such a dinnerware snob, because everything else is so heavy, and chips and breaks so easily!  That set wasn't for special occasions, those were just our dishes.  They're actually great for feeding cats; they're nearly indestructible.  I've dropped a plate into the sink, on its edge, and it didn't even chip.

Wow, Carolina, that's so amazing that it's your grandmother doing that lovely work on the porcelain.  It does look like the perfect size and shape for feeding the kitties!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - :thud: BEAUTIFUL china, OH Carolina, incredible story about your Grandmother, it is astonishing AND she is still painting at 99 years of age ........ :wow: AMAZING!!! OMG - I would have shrunk under any available table after that comment from your Aunt about Fancy kitties :flail:.... well - they are your kids after all :D :lovegrin: ....... Nothing but the best for the kitties :D :clap::clap: Those are very special dishes :nod: :heart3:
:lol2: I asked Larry tonight when he called. He is only there for a few hours tomorrow for a meeting or two and said he would have no time to go shopping for the cat's..... WHAT - HOW COULD HE NOT HAVE TIME FOR THE BABIES :crackup: - he flies home tomorrow afternoon and is very short on time. Likely excuse :hmm: :flail:
Thank you :hugs: Yeah.... She is the best.... She is my love.... The best grandma in the whole entire World! :love: She has been painting porcelain for a good 30 years now, or more - she does incredible work - still goes to "classes" to paint everyday.... Spends all morning in there with "the girls" as she calls them :lol3: Too cute for words :clap: Special dishes indeed!
I think one day I might go to a restaurant supply store - they must have these types of plates.... in porcelain.... The ones I like the best I think are to serve appetizers - they are long and flat, slightly round corners- just absolutely perfect for meat, and don't bother their whiskers :bigthumb:

Awwwww..... too bad Larry couldn't get the food - I can imagine that request made a funny conversation piece though :flail:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feralvr, :eek2: OH MY GOD, what a coincidence, guess what I've started using to feed the cats?  My Pickard saucers!  I've been loving feeding the cats on BONE china!   :flail:

It was my parents' wedding gift, a huge set from a relative who worked there, and I got the china when my mom updated (to Corelle, I am not kidding).  It's made me such a dinnerware snob, because everything else is so heavy, and chips and breaks so easily!  That set wasn't for special occasions, those were just our dishes.  They're actually great for feeding cats; they're nearly indestructible.  I've dropped a plate into the sink, on its edge, and it didn't even chip.
OMG HOW FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What spoiled little kitties that we have :lol3: YEP - I have 12 place settings that have never been used. Pickard bone china - cream in color with a crescent silver moon along the side. I am actually going to start using these plates for us as well. Just crazy to have them sitting in a china cabinet not ever getting used. The cat's ate in style this morning. Very nice china for the babies :flail: :heart3:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you :hugs: Yeah.... She is the best.... She is my love.... The best grandma in the whole entire World! :love: She has been painting porcelain for a good 30 years now, or more - she does incredible work - still goes to "classes" to paint everyday.... Spends all morning in there with "the girls" as she calls them :lol3: Too cute for words :clap: Special dishes indeed!
I think one day I might go to a restaurant supply store - they must have these types of plates.... in porcelain.... The ones I like the best I think are to serve appetizers - they are long and flat, slightly round corners- just absolutely perfect for meat, and don't bother their whiskers :bigthumb:
Awwwww..... too bad Larry couldn't get the food - I can imagine that request made a funny conversation piece though :flail:
OH Carolina - your grandma does sound really, really special. WOW good for her at her age going to class every morning. THAT is what keep's her going. She sounds amazing :hugs: :heart3: Bless her heart.... :heart2:

Yep - the Pickard china dessert/appetizer plates are perfect. OK - I will get a picture :lol3: They are perfect for the cats and don't smoosh whisker's. :nod:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
P'sIMA..... :argh: FUSSY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stomp: I had forgotten that the four fussies don't like Wellness Trout/Salmon. So that started out the morning in a downward spiral. I also brought down the NV Rabbit thinking they would all love to have it back in on their plates for breakfast. NOPE.... OMG - WHAT IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotate: Although Perla DID eat her food with Fortiflora. YEP - back to the Fortiflora now that I am offering raw with breakfast downstairs. I offered them NVO chicken downstairs too and it was a no go :dk: SO UPSTAIRS we went to serve them raw on their china plates :rofl: Offered the NVO chicken which of course got devoured up. Why can't they eat it downstairs - Are they trying to make momma crazy :crazy: :scatter: :nothappy: Offered NM Chicken which was taken well by Perkins and no one else :sigh: Pipsqueak was looking for more NVO chicken. I told him NO - try the NM Chicken. He was not interested. Nor was Presley. Oh well.... such is life in the home of fussy raw eating kitties :bigmouth:

Walden and Wendall :rub: :heart3: :rub: :heart3: Had NV Rabbit and NM Lamb. Licked their plates clean - their china plates that is!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When did you stop going upstairs to feed them their raw?  Was today the first day?  I think they just developed that habit, now  you'll need to re-train them

Oh,and I'm guessing there IS a taste difference between regular chicken and organic chicken, but I'm not going to be the taste tester in the cat food arena to verify that.  But haven't you ever noticed the difference between certain chicken and others?  Boy, I have!  And sometimes it can be kind of tough and stringy (and I'm not talking about mistaking a stewing chicken for a fryer...do they even sell those separately any more?).  I'm talking about the differences in just boneless/skinless breasts and/or thighs for human consumption.