A little bit worried about Bastian

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless one of the parents is a seal point, mitted, or bi-color, Bastian cannot come from those parents. And mom doesn't look seal to me.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping Bastian is coming along fine now. I've had Blossom since she was 3 weeks old (found dumped) & I gave her a bottle of KRP for 2-3 weeks. She was constipated if anything & I put liquid parafin in her bottle for a few feeds until she could eliminate with my help. It was a great day when she went by herself. I've read that a kitten has it's adult teeth by 7 mths, that may give you a clue when the time comes. In Australia, the breeders I've spoken to won't let their kittens go until 12 weeks & spayed/neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd give you all an update. After just a couple days of high-cal canned food and KMR, Bastian was a happy little kitty! He gobbles up most of every feeding, and he's become much more playful and inquisitive. The vet wants me to keep him on the special food for a couple weeks at least; that's about when the boys are due for shots, so I will have the vet reevaluate his weight and the food then. I'm still feeling very guilty that I was basically starving my kitten, but I'm happy to have figured out what he needed before he got too sick.

Once we get some weight on him, I'll have to read up in the kitten forum about weaning kittens onto dry food. He hasn't even looked at the dry since we left the vet on Friday. (This is actually making me revisit the idea of switching to all-wet, but I'm still not sure that's financially feasible.)

Thanks again for all your support.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

Just thought I'd give you all an update. After just a couple days of high-cal canned food and KMR, Bastian was a happy little kitty! He gobbles up most of every feeding, and he's become much more playful and inquisitive. The vet wants me to keep him on the special food for a couple weeks at least; that's about when the boys are due for shots, so I will have the vet reevaluate his weight and the food then. I'm still feeling very guilty that I was basically starving my kitten, but I'm happy to have figured out what he needed before he got too sick.

Once we get some weight on him, I'll have to read up in the kitten forum about weaning kittens onto dry food. He hasn't even looked at the dry since we left the vet on Friday. (This is actually making me revisit the idea of switching to all-wet, but I'm still not sure that's financially feasible.)

Thanks again for all your support.
Oh yeah!
I'm sorry, I forgot about the malnourishment thing. My cats eat a mixture of medium-high quality dry & wet. I think the wet really is the nourishing thing. I have an elderly cat that is really skinny and the wet really seems to satisfy her.