A Harrowing Look for a 4th Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dc1346

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ogden Nash's daughters are apparently keeping his books in copyright.  I can't blame them, much as I regret it for my own sake.

Um, it's not just Amazon looking for out of copyright books to republish; have you ever encountered Project Gutenberg?  It is their (admittedly impossible) goal to republish every book that's out of copyright in electronic format.  I bet you could find all of the Horatio Hornblower books there.  
Sadly I already bought them through Amazon. I think they ran $7.99 or $8.99 each. 

The Hornblower series apparently influenced Gene Roddenberry with his Star Trek series and I understand that Captain Kirk was to some extent modeled upon the intrepid ship's captain, Horatio Hornblower. 

I took a look on Ebay at the 1943 Joy of Cooking books and yikes ... $39.00 for a used book?  Would you believe that you may buy a CURRENT EDITION through Amazon for just 1 cent with $3.99 for shipping? I kid you not. Of course this wouldn't have the section about ration stamps.

I also saw a '43 edition that was missing its cover and the vendor wanted $9.99 for it. Geeze Louise!

As much as I enjoy history and Culinary Arts, I'm not paying $9.99 for a damaged book nor will I pay $39.99 for a '43 edition. 

A  2006 edition, brand new ... hard cover ... sells for $21.08.

David

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've now checked; the Horatio Hornblower books are not yet on Project Gutenberg.  Nothing by Forester is.  Still, if you think something may be out of copyright, it's the first place to check.  Recall that most of Kipling and Clemens are out of copyright.  You can get Kim, Rewards and Fairies, Huckleberry Finn, many classic masterpieces there.

Considering what I remember of Hornblower's sexual proclivities, I find it easy to believe that Kirk was based at least partly on him.  We used to say, "Oh, it's been a whole five minutes.  Kirk must need to stick tab A in slot Zlarb again!"

I know for certain that David Weber's Honor Harrington books are based largely on Horatio Hornblower; the hero's initials are a deliberate reference.

BTW, if you have fond memories of James Herriot's books about the life of an English country vet, All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful, the entire trilogy is on sale today for $3.99 in electronic format.  Available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple iBooks, Google, and Kobo.  That's $3.99 for the whole set, not $3.99 each.  Excellent deal.

Also, for those books that are available from Baen Books, that's usually the best way to go.  You can get them in multiple formats, and they come with no DRM.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking perhaps we need to start a new thread in the Lounge about books.  This is threatening to take over this thread, and the lounge is the obvious place for it.  What does everyone else think?

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dc1346

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds good to me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...back on topic.  I have the approximate date for Buki's homecoming marked on my calendar, and will be waiting for an update.  OH...and news of any further visits would be nice, as well!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm Anne and I'm the site owner

I wanted to remind everyone that we welcome negative feedback when delivered via PM or email only. 

From our rules (which everyone agrees to during the sign-up process) - 
Refrain from posting complaints and negative feedback on the public forums. Public discussion of any Mod actions, such as thread editing, thread removal and revocation of memberships, is strictly prohibited. Complaints and feedback of any kind are welcome when delivered courteously via PM's to team members, or directly to the site owner, Anne at [email protected].
One thing to keep in mind is that when a moderator makes a decision about moving or deleting content it's never done lightly. It's usually a decision made by more than one moderator, in accordance with policies which are based on the experience accumulated over 15 years of running this online community. 

Again, if you think a mistake has been made (hey, it can happen!) let us know. Feel free to contact any one of our moderators or write to me directly. Think our policies/practices aren't what you would like them to be? That's ok too. Not every online community is a good match for every person. It's ok to leave but please be respectful to the rest of the community and avoid goodbye threads criticizing our decisions. Goodbye threads/posts are always deleted, by the way. Yet another one of those pesky policies based on the experience of running this board since the year 2000. 

Thank you!