a feral been hanging out around herel

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you'll be able to catch him right away. I'm sorry he got away. I wish I'd seen your post earlier as I would have strongly advised against it. You might have to try earning his trust again and using really yummy foods like canned sardines/salmon or cat food.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well i put him in a shelter and he escaped when i opened the door. i suppose i can't trap him the same way as before but i am going to try. i am going to buy a trap, i am wondering if i could put the trap in the shelter, i moved the food a few times and he always find it but the shelter is around 150 feets away so he might not find it or go there. so i might have to trap him on the deck again i am also wondering if i could just put food in there without a trap and check if he is there and quicky shut the door. 

i am too starting to wonder if he did have some sort of human contact, before i put him in the shelter, he let me pet him with my hand though the cage but i don't think he was enjoying it very much cause he was shaking and his pupils was large. when i quickly touch him on the lower back when i first trap him and he let me know he did not like that at all by growling and tried scratching my hand.
OH yes you can trap him the same way as before. First - I am SO sorry that he escaped and really am not surprised at all. Any trapped cat, feral or friendly, given the option will escape like lightening through an open door, even if you crack it and slip in and out. They must always be kept securely in that cage! DON'T be hard on yourself!!!!! This happens to the best of us and that is how we learn better the next time.

I am sure too now that this is not a feral cat, this cat has had human contact before especially since you could give him some scritches. He will be back and you will be able to capture him just as easily. In fact, now you have made a bond with him while he was caged these past few days, feeding him, talking to him, caring for him. He knows you care.

I can see in the picture his left ear looks very red too. Could be mites or an untreated chronic infection. But the vet will give him a check over once he is sedated for neutering. Deworming, testing and shots would be great if they can do it for you. The FeLK/FIV test is only a few bucks through my TNR organization. A $5.00 snap test.

Anyway, back to square one. I am sure he will be back very soon because you have made friends now. :bigthumb: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH yes you can trap him the same way as before. First - I am SO sorry that he escaped and really am not surprised at all. Any trapped cat, feral or friendly, given the option will escape like lightening through an open door, even if you crack it and slip in and out. They must always be kept securely in that cage! DON'T be hard on yourself!!!!! This happens to the best of us and that is how we learn better the next time.

I am sure too now that this is not a feral cat, this cat has had human contact before especially since you could give him some scritches. He will be back and you will be able to capture him just as easily. In fact, now you have made a bond with him while he was caged these past few days, feeding him, talking to him, caring for him. He knows you care.

I can see in the picture his left ear looks very red too. Could be mites or an untreated chronic infection. But the vet will give him a check over once he is sedated for neutering. Deworming, testing and shots would be great if they can do it for you. The FeLK/FIV test is only a few bucks through my TNR organization. A $5.00 snap test.

Anyway, back to square one. I am sure he will be back very soon because you have made friends now.
when i  bought the cats in, they didn't check them over before fixing but i will make sure that they will do that for him. 

how can i get him to be comfortable eating around me? i am wondering if he was the kitten here before mama cat showed up but i extremely doubt it, he let me hold him and pet him

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah he wasn't a tabby so i doubt he the same cat but i may be remembering wrong as memory is not perfect 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah he wasn't a tabby so i doubt he the same cat but i may be remembering wrong as memory is not perfect 
:lol: I used to get my feral cats all mixed up too - and you know, if you have some stragglers now and again, it gets even more confusing. SO - I just trap and keep at it until I think I have them all accounted for and TNRd. a never ending prospect. :rolleyes:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get my feral cats all mixed up too - and you know, if you have some stragglers now and again, it gets even more confusing. SO - I just trap and keep at it until I think I have them all accounted for and TNRd. a never ending prospect.
he was here at least week before mama cat came, she showed up around the same time he disappeared. i wonder if they were from the same litters because they were the same age 6 to 8 months maybe younger.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but same age don't mean anything