a feral been hanging out around herel

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just can't predict their coming's and going's! And, it can be a challenge to get these types trapped. But, just keep on trying and never give up and one day you will succeed in making it a reality! I have had some cats that rarely come through and would see them every few weeks. Usually those types have other feeding resources/stations and ways to keep themselves well fed. It is breeding season too so the males are off for days at a time looking. I know of no way to lure and bribe a Tom cat to your yard or a trap by way of a "fake" cat in heat. Wish it could be that easy. :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does look well fed. I have to talk to my mom into taking him in. Maybe they could make something like Feliway

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hurray!  That went much better than expected.  How is he doing?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he doing alright, fearful and afraid but fine, i put a blanket over him and that seems to calm him down, i heard him eating last night and this morning which is a good thing right?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i can't get him fixed until wednesday, should i let him go? it will be harder to trap him, i moved him to the bigger crate

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I release him because I can't get him fixed until Wednesday, and causing him stress, but I might not be able to trap him again

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would keep him.  It will be more difficult to trap him the second time around.  You only have 3 more days to go.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i havent talked to my mom yet about getting him fixed, so hopefully i can do it wed, if not friday if i cant do friday, i will probably release him or kick the cats out of their shelter and lock him in there.

would feliway help him?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bought him some wet food because he didn't eat the dry food and i wanted to make sure he getting enough water, bought two different brands with variety

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, do hang on to him, might give him a piece of raw chicken or cooked, if you cook it, no bones.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how long should i hang on him if i can't get him fixed this week? just hold him until i can?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a litterbox in there for him and he used it. he is also laying on the litterbox so i am going to put something in there for him to cuddle. i trying not to brother him too much as i don't want to stress him out more then he is. 

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, you trapped him!!! I am so sorry for the delay and have not been on line for a couple of days. Wow. This is great news. But really , he should not be kept in the small cage for too long. Do you have anything larger? A cage? Where you could put in a small carrier for the cat to hide inside and feel more protected and safe. Is there anyone else who could drive you and the cat to the vet? A neighbor? Friend? Or other relative? We really don't want them to be in such small quarters for too many days. The stress may be too much for him with no place to hide. I don't want to suggest releasing him but keeping him this way is not good for too many days. A larger cage would be just fine. See if you can get someone to drive you to vet Monday. I will check in with you in the morning when I am home. Good job on getting him. !!!!! But we need to get him to the vet or give him more space until you can.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the low cost one is only open on wed and fridays, i just put him in the larger cage, big enough to have a litter box and some room to move around. i do got a blanket covering him. i also need to move him where it more peaceful as the chickens brother him. 

i thinking kicking the cats out of their shelter and locking him in there. it a old house so it more then enough room. in the photos he is in the larger cage, do you have any suggestions to get him back into the smaller one when needed?

i am wondering if he is the father at least one kitten

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to point out one thing here!! This is not a feral cat, a truly feral cat! So that is the good news. His body posturing, his eyes, his ears, and he is in front of the cage. IF he were truly feral, he would be plastered in the back of the cage, flattened out, eyes wide with extremely dilated pupils, and ears half back. I am thinking this cat is an abandoned stray and has had human contact. So this is very good news. He does look to be quite calm actually!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the low cost one is only open on wed and fridays, i just put him in the larger cage, big enough to have a litter box and some room to move around. i do got a blanket covering him. i also need to move him where it more peaceful as the chickens brother him. 

i thinking kicking the cats out of their shelter and locking him in there. it a old house so it more then enough room. in the photos he is in the larger cage, do you have any suggestions to get him back into the smaller one when needed?

i am wondering if he is the father at least one kitten
SUPER on moving him to the larger cage! He seems to be easy to maneuver and manage. We never want to keep a cat in a trap for more than a day. SO, if you can keep him quiet and safe in the larger cage until Wednesday with all of his necessities ( constant food/water, litter tray, smaller carrier to hide in) then that is absolutely, perfectly fine.

I always put a smaller cat carrier inside of the larger cage, and tie the carrier door open to the side of the larger cage. THEN, on vet day, it's easy. You untie the carrier door from the side of the larger cage, and gently persuade the cat into the small carrier very kindly with a yard stick, then use the yard stick to push the carrier door closed, then open the large cage and reach in and latch the carrier door securely shut.

Now, :think:, I am thinking this cat is friendly by the look of his face and eyes. He actually looks very calm and sweet from the pictures. So, by Wednesday, you may be able to encourage him inside the carrier anyway and just reach in, shut the carrier door, and of you go to the vet. :bigthumb: Who knows, he may even allow a pet by then. :cross: ;)

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]I wondered about the eyes

He was eating when I checked on him but stop when I pull the blanket up a little and went to the back he is not comfortable eating around me yet . He wasn't calm before I put th blankwt on. The blanket helped calm him down lots otherwise he goes crazy. I am going put something where he can hide. The blanket is covering the whole cage. He let me scratch his head with a straw.

Besides neutering. Should I get him tested? Deworming?

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i put him in a shelter and he escaped when i opened the door. i suppose i can't trap him the same way as before but i am going to try. i am going to buy a trap, i am wondering if i could put the trap in the shelter, i moved the food a few times and he always find it but the shelter is around 150 feets away so he might not find it or go there. so i might have to trap him on the deck again i am also wondering if i could just put food in there without a trap and check if he is there and quicky shut the door. 

i am too starting to wonder if he did have some sort of human contact, before i put him in the shelter, he let me pet him with my hand though the cage but i don't think he was enjoying it very much cause he was shaking and his pupils was large. when i quickly touch him on the lower back when i first trap him and he let me know he did not like that at all by growling and tried scratching my hand.

Last edited: