A dead end with a few ferals here on long island.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The town I live in is West Babylon, which is part of Long Island,NY. I cannot find any help to deal with the few feral cats living by my area, it's by a railroad track and it's not my propery, but the towns. Anyway since cats are free roaming animals shelters dont pick them up, so obviously thats why there are so many of them in the US. Well I have tried to find many organizations that could come down to where I live and trap the ferals and relocate them, or mabye find them good homes. Well the only way they will help is if im the caretaker, but I cant accept caretaker responcibility although i want the cats to not be harmed, local teens do ocassionally like to shoot them with bb's, which is why im desperatly going on every site I can, including this one so mabye someone can help these cats, you know the ore I post rhe better the chance someone will see and be able to help. When winter comes they will surely die or be sick due to the fact I cant put up any shelters since I dont own town property. The best thing you guys could do is get someone with authority and knowledge of cats to come here and help them, if that is at all possible. Please send me emails is you find anything that can help.

Keith

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone else who, like you, is concerned about the problem? You need more local help. Unfortunately, there is no one who can come in from outside to help very much. The nature of feral cats is that they hide, they scatter, they disappear when someone comes to try to help! Someone who is local must help!

I would try visiting all the vets in your area, and let them know what you are trying to do, and what part you can play. If someone helps feed the cats, can you feed them 2 days a week? Can you call the township and ask for permission to set up shelters? If a pregnant feral is trapped, will you be able to foster her or her kittens until they can be adopted? Think of a way you can be involved in the process, and see if you can get someone to help take another part of the process.

Vet techs are great resource-even if their vet can't help, they may know who can.

The fact that this is touching your heart, may be an indication that this is a calling for you. Think about it deeply before starting, because it is a lot of responsibility! But for every one feral that you are able to trap and spay or neuter, you save many many cats!

Best of luck to you, and the feral cats of West Babylon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I cannot keep any feral cats in my house, parents rules. Spay/neutering sounds good but let me try this first. I am thinking of asking my local pet store if anyone will like a cat or kitten. I have known the workers for some years so mabye they can return a favor for me.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the nice feral I was talking about, she has almost died quite a few times, but has survived.

If you noticed the ground is all shiny, thats because the whole ground is covered in broken glass and metal.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm...I hope I'm wrong, and maybe it's just an optical illusion in the picture, but that looks like a nursing mom to me. Is her belly normally that big?

What does everyone else think?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like it to me too....she is skinny all but her hanging belly. I`ll bet she has a litter of babies somewhere nearby....bless her heart!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, if all you can do is feed them, you are just allowing them to reproduce at a faster rate! Check with your local vets to see if they have a low-cost spay/neuter program for feral cats.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my goal is to find it a home it's to dangerous there for such a nice cat. Mabye it had kittens but they died, what signs do I look for if it has kittens? Wouldnt they follow her?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Well my goal is to find it a home it's to dangerous there for such a nice cat. Mabye it had kittens but they died, what signs do I look for if it has kittens? Wouldnt they follow her?
They may not follow her to the feeding area for several weeks. You say it's only been a month since she appeared bloated. If she had kittens, they would only be about a month...way to young to follow mom. If there are kittens, and they are only a month old, you may not see them for another month or more. It's very difficult to find where she has hidden the kittens. I wouldn't go looking for them unless you have a plan as to trapping them, and have somewhere to take them. If she knows that you know where they are, she will move them.

Anyone else have any idea how long it takes kittens to follow mom to the feeding area?

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keith P -- I live in Long Beach, Long Island, NY...maybe I can help. I am a volunteer for the Long Beach Humane Society and very active in TNR & adoptions. Please email me or PM me with contact information & I'll see what can be done about the colony.

That picture definitely indicates babies/kittens. I've found that kittens will not follow their mother to a feeding area for approximately 8 to 12 weeks. I've seen some kittens that won't follow at all.

Hoping to be of some sort of assistance to you...email: [email protected]

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yah!! I'm so glad you can help!
Thank you, from everyone!

Originally Posted by leesali

Keith P -- I live in Long Beach, Long Island, NY...maybe I can help. I am a volunteer for the Long Beach Humane Society and very active in TNR & adoptions. Please email me or PM me with contact information & I'll see what can be done about the colony.

That picture definitely indicates babies/kittens. I've found that kittens will not follow their mother to a feeding area for approximately 8 to 12 weeks. I've seen some kittens that won't follow at all.

Hoping to be of some sort of assistance to you...email: [email protected]

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got in contact with lessali from this site and her organization is 30 minutes from my house! Hopefully her and the organization can help these cats now.
Keep your fingers crossed!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's a real pretty girl, Keith. I did receive your PM & have emailed you. Hope there is something we can do for this colony. If we don't do something soon, the colony will multiply and quadruple before you know it. Winter is also in the near future...hate that these guys are out there with little shelter and there may be babies about.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah well 6 to 8 weeks from now there could be snow on the ground, they wont make it that long now since were having cold weather already here, summer went by so quick.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Yeah well 6 to 8 weeks from now there could be snow on the ground, they wont make it that long now since were having cold weather already here, summer went by so quick.
I'm working on it Keith
Will be at the adoption center/Humane Society Friday and over the weekend. I will relay the information & see what can be done. Hang-in there and thank-you for being concerned about the colony.