A boot with a brace

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I guess it's what all the well-dressed ex-walkers are wearing this summer.

I did "something" to the tendon on the inner-upper side of my foot. It's severely swollen and the ortho-guy immediately put me into the boot/brace. It goes to right below my knee. I have to wear it at least until my next ortho-appt on July 8, at which time, he will decide whether I need surgery to repair the tendon. He told me right out that "it does not look good". He doesn't think it's from walking, but did say that walking probably exacerbated the injury. It could have been something I did a while back (and I do remember a couple really stupid things I did...falling out of my sandals, twisting the foot, and landing in a heap at the bottom of the basement steps with a basket of laundry comes to mind, for example). If surgery is needed, I'll be done walking for about 3 months (just in time for winter walking!), til it all heals back up and I'm done with PT and all that good stuff. But we'll see.

No walking, no driving. But.....get this.....I can use the flippin' elliptical with the boot/brace on my foot. That elliptical will be the death of me. I don't know what the heck I did that was so evil that the darn thing can come back to bite me so many times. "You can't walk, Pam, but hey, that elliptical is in the bedroom waiting for you!" 
 I wish I'd never, ever seen that thing. I don't WANT to use that thing. I HATE that thing.

So now? I get up in the morning and put the boot on to work around the house. Take the boot off for my shower, then put it back on. Take the boot off to put my work clothes on, get ready for work. Go out to my car and then take the boot off. Drive to work and put the boot on. And then walk into work. I did that yesterday and Rick said that was ridiculous. So now he's bringing me into work. I am not allowed to put any weight on the foot. When I get up during the night to use the bathroom, I use an old pair of crutches that I got when I blew my knee out. The cats don't know what the heck is going on. They don't like the boot any more than I do. They get close to it and the fur ruffles. Muffin actually growled at it last night. Molli won't leave it alone, so I have to put it in the closet for the night.

Just about the time I finally get back to where I'm walking fine and everything is ducky, something else happens. I told the ortho-guy (he's the same doctor who helped me with my knee a few years ago) that I'm going to order a large pepperoni pizza, eat a dozen donuts, a couple extra-large bags of peanut M & Ms, the biggest grilled steak I can find, a large baked potato smothered with real butter, wash it all down with the largest margarita I can find, have a heart attack and then die. It's easier. (Yes, I am depressed.
 I know that, in the overall scheme of things, this in minor. I know that. I get that. But.....
)

I'm going to Virginia anyway....I don't care. My GF and I have had this trip planned for a year now and I'm going. We've planned to go down to Rikki's Refuge ( http://rikkisrefuge.org/ ) for a working weekend and I really want to go. I can't drive and she gets that.....she says we'll just deal. Rick agrees.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  I know it's lousy having this happen in the summer but think about how hard it would've been to deal with this last winter. 

I looked at the animal sanctuary's pictures they do have everything in the the way of domestic type animals there then I saw a snake.  I have the irrational fear of snakes.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I told the ortho-guy (he's the same doctor who helped me with my knee a few years ago) that I'm going to order a large pepperoni pizza, eat a dozen donuts, a couple extra-large bags of peanut M & Ms, the biggest grilled steak I can find, a large baked potato smothered with real butter, wash it all down with the largest margarita I can find, have a heart attack and then die. It's easier. (Yes, I am depressed.
 I know that, in the overall scheme of things, this in minor. I know that. I get that. But.....
)
Oh, I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at your 'suicide' plan!  

I'm so sorry.  I felt that way (depressed) when I shattered my shoulder a couple of months ago--it's 'minor' in the big picture....but it's not.  Injuries like that are painful and frustrating and interfere greatly in day to day enjoyment of life. 

You'll get used to your boot and will get into a routine in a few days.  Be gentle with yourself, and go with the flow.  There's nothing you can do now but take good care of yourself and focus on healing.   Sending you good vibes and i will be keeping my fingers crossed that you WON'T need surgery!
​ 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask in the other thread, why can't you drive?  The boot interferes? 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry Pam.
  And poor kitties.  At least you can put the boot to bed in the closet for them.

Be good and listen to the doctor. Hopefully it'll heal sooner rather than later.

One of my cousin's is the color guard coach at a high school in her town.  She spent all of last fall in a boot trying to coach and keep up with the kids.  It doesn't sound fun at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

I forgot to ask in the other thread, why can't you drive?  The boot interferes? 
I can drive, but not for long distances. I can't drive with the boot/brace on because there's no flexibility at all when wearing it. I'd end up crashing the car for sure. It's a case of having to move my entire leg to go from gas pedal to brake and the boot is very unwieldly....is that the word I want? So if I want to drive to work, for example, I have to wear the boot to the car, get into the car, take book off, drive to work, put boot on, then get out of the car and walk into work. He doesn't want me out of the boot unless I'm in bed for the night. I use crutches at night if I need to leave the bed. 

Rick brings me to work (he said it was silly to have to deal with the boot any more than I already need to), which means I'm here now at 6:00 in the morning and I stay til he picks me up at 3:30. (Did my nails this morning. 

and am going to read for a while.)

Thank you for your vibes. I'm depressed. And this is only the third day. I do not handle adversity well.

As for my suicide plan, I've added a large bag of potato chips and a case of high-octane Pepsi to the mix.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no. I am just catching up with this thread. Sending lots of got well wishes. Have a good time with your friend.:nod:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can drive, but not for long distances. I can't drive with the boot/brace on because there's no flexibility at all when wearing it. I'd end up crashing the car for sure. It's a case of having to move my entire leg to go from gas pedal to brake and the boot is very unwieldly....is that the word I want? So if I want to drive to work, for example, I have to wear the boot to the car, get into the car, take book off, drive to work, put boot on, then get out of the car and walk into work. He doesn't want me out of the boot unless I'm in bed for the night. I use crutches at night if I need to leave the bed. 

Rick brings me to work (he said it was silly to have to deal with the boot any more than I already need to), which means I'm here now at 6:00 in the morning and I stay til he picks me up at 3:30. (Did my nails this morning. 

and am going to read for a while.)

Thank you for your vibes. I'm depressed. And this is only the third day. I do not handle adversity well.

As for my suicide plan, I've added a large bag of potato chips and a case of high-octane Pepsi to the mix.
I gotcha.  Yeah, safety first!  I was in a boot once when my horse (RIP) centered my outer right ankle with his hoof.  I'm single so I had to just take it off to drive any distance.  You work in environmental services for the health dept, right?  Wells, septic tanks, restaurants?  I guess you're desk bound now, huh?  I did a few days of riding with the environmental service people for clinical.  It was interesting and I learned a lot.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw your post and I am thinking of you. Paul had a boot a few years ago and it's still sitting in our garage. I keep on saying someday I'll make a planter out of it!

Take care of yourself and I am thinking of you. Oh -- as for that great meal - you forgot the sour cream on the baked potato! And how about an order of onion rings from Outback?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, this is me just seeing your post too. 
   Not good.  I'm for the eating plan and going for broke on this one - just be prepared for the increasing waistline that is likely to happen before the heart attack....  the odd 500ml tub of yummy full fat ice cream wouldn't go amiss on that list of yours. 

Hope the crutches don't scare the kitties too much when you get up at night. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Pam, that does suck!  I'm glad your still getting away with your friend though.  I had to laugh at all the items on the menu, & when others chimed in to add on! 
 That's one of the reasons I love it around here, we're a silly bunch!   I hope you feel better soon, & your trip lifts you out of your funk!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right....let's just add a whole pound of bacon and be done with it. And some bacon maple donuts while we're at it to go along with all that full-fat ice cream (Rocky Road, please, with extra marshmallow). And a large bag of potato chips....salt and vinegar.

No sour cream, though.....I cannot do sour cream. But real butter is good! 

Thanks, guys. It's OK. Almost done with my first week already! 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @Winchester...Good to hear that the first week went okay.

I am also sending you good vibes for a speedy recovery .....
but hoping your "added comfort food plan" is going to go out the window.
(Although I have to agree with  @Angels mommy,   the added food items are so funny,..... ice cream, bacon, real butter.
)

You know you cannot do it  
  because we would ALL be lost without your threads or posts. The fun would be gone.

So now I am thinking.......Can you just "give a name" to your Elliptical and boot?  (before you throw me into that pool of yours.....hear me out. Since you name your cars.....naming your elliptical and boot  may make it easier to deal with....idk..
...maybe not)

Take care, and remember, ....the whole idea is to "rest the tendon".....to get the inflammation down....so promise to keep the boot on for the month.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Whoa!!! Hold on a second!!! Don't forget about the coconut cake!!!!!

I'm so sorry. :hugs: that really doesn't sound like fun. :(. I hope the boot does the trick. :vibes::vibes::vibes: