9 Yo Female Not Eating: Ibd? Lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiapaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try taking a can of wet food mixing the medicine in it and blending it to a liquid form your cat will eat it i have raised cats my whole life I have a 17 and a half year old that I have to blend the cat food now for him to eat and my 23 year old just passed away from old age but I really hope that helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@virginiapaige  Ruby is strong willed when it comes to wet food. She won't touch it and I've tried every brand and flavor available. No paté and no chunky wet. Occasionally she'll eat shredded chicken or tuna in a little water or liquid, but not often. The best way I found to give her meds is to mix it into ReddiWhip. Works like a charm every time! There are a couple meds I have to give by syringe because they taste too nasty and she won't touch anything they're mixed into. Thankfully she is eating, I just don't think at this point she's absorbing much. Although we didn't do a biopsy to confirm it, we suspect Ruby has Stage V lymphoma. Stage III and IV can look a lot like IBD, unfortunately.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

to count the breathes Ginny we were told to do it when they are sleeping. under 30 is preferred. but some cats breathe faster. My Honeybee before we got her on puffs of Flovent was 45 a minute when she was sleeping. And of course she slept ALOT.

I don't know if it's heart-but the only sure way to tell is an ultrasound of her heart. That should show any fluids and abnormalities to the heart. So very Sorry Ginny!

@RuBear  So glad to hear your girl is handing in there..maybe the spring air will help perk her up?! My girls are anxious for the snow to melt and warm sunshine!
Thanks.  She just sat down beside me and this time I counted 40 resp.  I guess I should report what I'm worried about more often because it seems as soon as I do, it changes, lol.  The X-ray looked ok.  When I can I will listen to her heart.  The vet did not mention any murmur either or any abnormality with rate or rhythm.  

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I guess I should report what I'm worried about more often because it seems as soon as I do, it changes, lol. 
Once we get concerned about one thing, it's so hard not to notice every little thing and wonder if it's something. But it's never a bad thing to stay alert.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's probably not likely she's anemic, you would notice pale gums, tongue, etc. In Ruby's case her liver enzymes were initially what showed up in her blood work. It wasn't until after we thought we had everything under control that the anemia reared it's ugly head. The anemia is (we're assuming) caused by lymphoma moving into her bones. Without the prednisone she drops to very critical RBC levels and even with it she's extremely low. It has caused her to have an extremely rapid heartbeat and she's lost a significant amount of weight in the last month. Her breathing for the most part has been normal but I notice sometimes she'll take a deep breath/sigh and her voice has gotten very hoarse.

If your kitty has been vomiting, she might have acid irritation in her throat that might affect her breathing superficially. It may also be a good idea to request a GI panel in her blood work. This will let the vet know if she's having any absorption problems and if she's cobalamin deficient. If so, they can start B-12 shots which are super easy to administer yourself and would probably perk her up right away.
Gosh I'm so sorry about Ruby's problems but I'm glad she's still hanging in there!

Honey threw up 4 huge spots of liquid and digested food mixed in.  Mostly liquid.  She got so much better after the sub-q fluids/cerenia.  The vet spent a while looking at Honey's throat, and she was so lethargic she just let the vet open her mouth.  She didn't see any irritation.  I'll ask about the GI panel, and B12 shots.  I'd rather give her that than cerenia.  Thanks.

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  I'll ask about the GI panel, and B12 shots.  I'd rather give her that than cerenia.  Thanks.
Don't be afraid of the Cerenia though. I got it in tablet form from my vet and it works so well when they're nauseous.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes Cerenia is very good for this. Also has pain relieving properties some studies show. It worked for my Honeybee when she twisted her little knee. Worked very well. In my house we use injections due to vomiting..then we get ahead of the vomiting..I haven't had any luck pilling cats. Only Pumpkin face but it has to fit in a capsule and use a pill popper otherwise forget it!

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

..I haven't had any luck pilling cats. Only Pumpkin face but it has to fit in a capsule and use a pill popper otherwise forget it!
Try ReddiWhip if you ever have to pill a cat that won't take to it. I can't pill Ruby at all and I've read a lot of bad things about unswallowed pills causing esophageal damage. I just take any pill, smash it with a spoon and mix it with a tiny dab of ReddiWhip. I think the Prednisolone I use (Medimelts) already might have a sweet/vanilla taste added so it disguises well. Put a tiny fresh dab on top and she laps it right up. I know a lot of people do this with wet food, but that never worked on Ruby. She eventually figured out it's medicine, but she still eats it just fine.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just have no luck getting the mouth to open enough..she doesn't like any human food except shrimps and it can't be on my finger..has to be from a bowl. Unfortunately her pred is very bitter tasting but I have cool whip so will see if she likes that..honeybee is able to eat pred pill segment hidden inside babtyfood as long as I am fast enough she doesn't notice the texture of the pill. cats!

With pumps I just coat the capsule with butter and use the pill buster/popper and also give drops of water before and after pilling. She hates this more than the pilling itself.

CATS!

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't be afraid of the Cerenia though. I got it in tablet form from my vet and it works so well when they're nauseous.
I guess I'd rather give something natural instead of a pharmaceutical, if that'll work, but I have to say the combo of Cerenia and the fluids really pumped her up for 24 hours.  (But it was artificial and did not last.) Plus I'd rather stick her with a needle than try to pry that mouth open, strange to say.  I have to give the Prednisolone by mouth for 2 weeks anyway, which is bad enough, lol.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Try ReddiWhip if you ever have to pill a cat that won't take to it. I can't pill Ruby at all and I've read a lot of bad things about unswallowed pills causing esophageal damage. I just take any pill, smash it with a spoon and mix it with a tiny dab of ReddiWhip. I think the Prednisolone I use (Medimelts) already might have a sweet/vanilla taste added so it disguises well. Put a tiny fresh dab on top and she laps it right up. I know a lot of people do this with wet food, but that never worked on Ruby. She eventually figured out it's medicine, but she still eats it just fine.
I'll have to ask about those medimelts.  The pharmacist told me that prednisolone was a bit different than prednisone and tasted a little better and my cat wouldn't mind it.  I tried it myself and omg it's HORRIBLE!!  That bitter nasty taste lingers long after it should be gone.  I'll see if Reddiwhip is Honey's cup of tea, or maybe butter might be better. I have some KerryGold butter and I love that stuff, maybe Honey would like it too.  I'm a little concerned that whipped cream has lactose and sugar which is inflammatory.  

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I guess I'd rather give something natural instead of a pharmaceutical,
The important thing to remember is your hopefully just trying to get her over the hump. If you need strong meds to get the nausea and inflammation under control, it's just until you can find a better long term plan that hopefully doesn't require meds.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I am continuing to give her the prednisolone.  I think she needs it right now but I am wary about having her on it too.  I had to take a dose pack several months ago when I was really sick.  I had terrible headaches from it.  For the short term is ok though.  

Right now she is sitting beside me and I can hear her belly gurgling.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about getting the Pepcid and decided to wait.  Many people, like me, who took acid-reducers didn't really have too much acid, but just the wrong food that caused gas, bloating, and reflux. There are so many factors involved including antibiotic use which destroys the healthy gut flora.  I've been off Prevacid for the past 3 1/2 years now and find I get more help from the probiotics than I ever did from the drug.  

For my kitties, I sprinkle Gentle Digest over their food which has both pre and pro biotics in them. I want to try slippery elm too, has anyone here given that?  If it has a taste I'm pretty sure my kitties won't like it.  If I have to syringe it to Honey to help the inflammation then I will.  And I still want to get them on the right food, but keeping an eye on Honey to make sure she doesn't go on a hunger strike again.  She's one of those picky ones that if it's not what she likes she just won't eat it.  Gracie was that way too.  I also want to see about finding a product that has both pre and pro biotics as well as enzymes. That's helped me a lot so maybe it will help them too. If I can't get them on raw or freeze dried that is.  

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's why I am continuing to give her the prednisolone.  I think she needs it right now but I am wary about having her on it too.  I had to take a dose pack several months ago when I was really sick.  I had terrible headaches from it.  For the short term is ok though.  

Right now she is sitting beside me and I can hear her belly gurgling.  
That's probably a good way to approach it. On Friday I noticed the tips of Ruby's ears had drooped. I did a little research and called the vet, it appears she has most likely developed Cushing's Syndrome (too much cortisol in her system) from the long period of high-dose pred. She has most likely become diabetic as well. We knew these were possibilities, it's just hard to watch it become reality and know there's nothing you can do to help. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's probably a good way to approach it. On Friday I noticed the tips of Ruby's ears had drooped. I did a little research and called the vet, it appears she has most likely developed Cushing's Syndrome (too much cortisol in her system) from the long period of high-dose pred. She has most likely become diabetic as well. We knew these were possibilities, it's just hard to watch it become reality and know there's nothing you can do to help. 
  I know the feeling of standing by helplessly.  Drugs are dangerous, bottom line.  No drug is entirely safe, in fact Tylenol may be one of the worst because people take it so often.  Of course you can't give it to pets.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen patients admitted to the hospital for surgery on 1, 2, or up to 4 different meds, and then discharged on double the amount they came in with or more.  One drugs leads to another because of side effects.  They seem to make people, and pets, for the most part, sicker not better.  Short term use is ok.  But the cause needs to be found and dealt with directly.  Some meds are absolutely necessary so there's no way around some of them.  I take thyroid med every day.  But if there is a better way than using medications, like diet, then by all means do it.  That's why I'm interested in slippery elm and raw diet for Honey.  I got some of that Stella and chewy's duck good raw bits I want to offer to all my kitties when I have a good long day off this week and see how they do with it.  You can't leave it out more than one hour because it's raw of course.  I'm really hoping they take to it.  I'll gladly spend a little more on good food for them if it'll mean cutting off the cause of IBD and allowing the gut to heal.  

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In this case it was a double edged sword. It's tough to see it causing her issues, but it's also probably the only reason I've had the last four months with her. Initially we had hoped to taper, but every time we started to she'd crash again and that's when we realized it wasn't just IBD. I'm glad you're getting out ahead of this and making a plan to help Honey. I really wish I'd known these things long ago. But, you live and you learn. Sometimes you just can't know until you've been through it once.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was the case with Gracie.  She'd get a shot of dexamethasone and be ok for a few days to a week.  But the more time went on, the less it helped and for shorter periods too. Gosh I'm so sorry, but don't lose hope!  All of us are searching for a better way to treat these diseases.  Surely one of us will find something.  

I recall a holistic vet office in New York that I'd read about when Garfy was diagnosed with cancer many years ago.  One of the vets wrote a book about the philosophy behind his treatments and his success rate (for many kinds of diseases) was pretty good too.  I'll have to do some research to see if I can find this office again.  I recall having a phone appt with one of the vets in that office about Garfy.  She was German, that's all I recall.  If I find it I'll let you know.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  

It turns out I spoke with that vet only 2 days before Garfy passed.  Even she said that he needed a miracle.  But that doesn't mean it's too late for all.  

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.