9 month old cat not eating and vomiting

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright I don’t want to make this post too long, but I’m really worried about my cat’s health and I feel like everyone around me, including the vet that I took her to, is downplaying the situation.

On Monday of this week I noticed my cat’s
behavior started to change. It was very subtle, but I could tell something was off. She’s a normally skittish cat, but she was suddenly more anxious than normal and over grooming.

It wasn’t until Wednesday night that I realized she hadn’t eaten her dinner from Tuesday night, breakfast that morning, and hadn’t eaten her dinner that night either. Later on that night around 12:00 AM she ended up vomiting some undigested food. On Thursday morning around 8:00 AM she threw up this clear/yellow bile, so I finally decided she needed to go to the vet, and scheduled an appointment for 10:00 AM.

I I told the nurse all of her symptoms, and then she had her taken away so she could get some assistance taking her temperature. When she came back she said she wasn’t running a fever, and seemed to be fine. The doctor came in later, quickly checked her out and said that she seemed fine as well.

She said that they could do some blood work and give her an x-ray to see if there’s a blockage, or that they could treat her symptoms (vomiting/nausea) now, and if she worsens bring her back for the tests. I decided to have her be treated for her symptoms. She was given some fluids for dehydration, a Cerenia injection, and some bland wet food.

A few hours after getting home I tried to feed her some of the bland wet food, but she wasn’t interested. She also started having diarrhea. When I called the vet to ask if I should be concerned, she said not to be and that she would’ve eventually had diarrhea at some point. She told me she’d have some Metronidazole to help with the diarrhea and and a dewormer medication ready for me at the front desk to pick up later.

At that point, I decided to just let her sleep and try to feed her later on in the night. Around 8:00 I tried to feed her some of the wet food (mixed with her dewormer medication) by hand, and she had a few licks but didn’t eat much. I tried feeding her a little more later on, and she was completely uninterested. Then I tried giving her the Metronidazole via syringe, it was my first time so it didn’t go well and she ended up foaming at the mouth and spiting it out.

I called the animal hospitals emergency number for assistance because I wasn’t sure what to do or if the foaming was normal, and they said it was but to just give her a break did the night and try it again the next day. An hour or so later she threw up again, despite being in Cerenia that was supposed to prevent that, and it was the same clear/yellow bile from that morning mixed with the little bits of wet food she ate.

It’s now Friday morning, and she still won’t eat so I’m getting extremely worried. It’s the 3rd or 4th day in a row she’s gone without having a solid meal, and after doing a lot of research I’m worried her organs will shut down. She seems like she wants to eat sometimes, but she just seems to smell the food and look away. I called the vet that treated her and left a voicemail, so I’m hoping she’ll get back to me later, but I’m at a loss right now.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find a different vet...now!

What color is her poop? Yellowish? Orangeish? Smell really bad?
What you're describing to me sounds reminiscent of either Cocidia or Giardia.
I personally wouldn't take any longer if it were my cat, it could be her kidneys. Get a second opinion asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they were still solid they were just dark brown, but they’ve progressively become more and more liquid so now it’s basically just light brown water. I’ve already gotten medicine and directions from the first vet that I went to, so should I still follow those directions even if I talk to another vet?

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Find a different vet...now!

What color is her poop? Yellowish? Orangeish? Smell really bad?
What you're describing to me sounds reminiscent of either Cocidia or Giardia.
I personally wouldn't take any longer if it were my cat, it could be her kidneys. Get a second opinion asap.
When they were still solid they were just dark brown, but they’ve progressively become more and more liquid so now it’s basically just light brown water. I’ve already gotten medicine and directions from the first vet that I went to, so should I still follow those directions even if I talk to another vet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are cats that don't do well with Cerenia. It is not common but can happen. You might ask the vet when she calls back. Another anti-nausea med might be in order.

If not that, it might be the Metronidazole, some cats - although pretty rare - can vomit from it. It is very common for the foaming of the mouth if given independent of food - apparently the stuff is very bitter. The vomiting might be more typical if the dosage is too high, so check with the vet about that too.

And also ask why the vet said diarrhea was to be expected. A de-wormer can cause diarrhea, so it may have made it even worse.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping in mind, this is only my opinion, but...
Follow the directions of the first vet until the second tells you differently. I would also get a blood panel done and make sure the kidneys and liver get an 'all good'.

Had a cat that was not eating and vomiting. Took him to the vet. Vet said 'he's fine, just has allergies". Gave medication for upset tummy and an antihistamine of some sort. Followed this vets advice for a month. After all, he's the vet, he went to school for this. But the cat got worse instead of better. Took him to a different vet. The cat was in stage 4 kidney failure. "Maybe if we had caught it a month ago, we could help him". These were the new vet's words.
He died 20 days later.

My point, if he's not getting better with this vet, don't waste time going to another.

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keeping in mind, this is only my opinion, but...
Follow the directions of the first vet until the second tells you differently. I would also get a blood panel done and make sure the kidneys and liver get an 'all good'.

Had a cat that was not eating and vomiting. Took him to the vet. Vet said 'he's fine, just has allergies". Gave medication for upset tummy and an antihistamine of some sort. Followed this vets advice for a month. After all, he's the vet, he went to school for this. But the cat got worse instead of better. Took him to a different vet. The cat was in stage 4 kidney failure. "Maybe if we had caught it a month ago, we could help him". These were the new vet's words.
He died 20 days later.

My point, if he's not getting better with this vet, don't waste time going to another.
Yeah unfortunately I’m taking her back to the same hospital right now because it’s the only one open late at night and she’s thrown up twice tonight :(. I’m going to get some tests run on her there and see what they say, but I’m definitely going to get a second opinion from a different vet in the morning because this hospital doesn’t have the best reviews and the staff aren’t that helpful or concerned.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck and keep us posted. Hoping she'll be ok.
I have dealt with a lot of vets (cattle, horses, small animals) and I hate to say it but, all except a very small few are idiots.
But then, so are most the doctors on the mountain I live on.

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night I took her to the animal hospital to get X-rays done and everything looks good, she just has a lot of gas build up so they think she has gastritis. The only bad thing is that they saw something small in her X-ray that they thought could’ve been an obstruction, and they asked if I wanted them to keep her there for the night to observe her and take care of her while they got her to pass it, so I let her stay there for the night. Other than that they haven’t called me to update me about her status yet, if they don’t call in the next hour I’ll call them.

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The doctor just called me! She said that she didn’t throw up last night and that she was comfortable, just nervous. They also found out that she doesn’t have an obstruction which is good, but she still won’t eat so she said they’re gonna do some blood work to see if their might be something else wrong with her that couldn’t be seen from an X-ray.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they going to do an ultrasound of the stomach and intestines?
Kidney and liver functions in that blood test?

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they going to do an ultrasound of the stomach and intestines?
Kidney and liver functions in that blood test?
They’re not doing an ultrasound, and I hope they’ll run liver and kidney function tests because that was one of the main concerns I brought up to her last night. I’ll let you know when she calls me back.

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her blood tests came back normal! We’ve got her back home now, and she seems fine. My only concern is she still isn’t eating even after they gave her an appetite stimulant. I’m not going to stress out too much because she just got back home, so I want to let her chill for a while since she’s been away all night. Hopefully she eats later, if not I’ll try to get her to eat boiled chicken, or meat based baby food because I heard that helps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She might just need some time to settle down from the vet stay. It could also take some time to get the appetite stimulant to kick in. But surely try the baby food meat - and it wouldn't hurt to try human canned tuna (or chicken) in water either. FortiFlora, which is a probiotic, but really works more as a food enticer is available at most pet stores. Also has worked for Feeby when she has been reluctant to eat.

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She might just need some time to settle down from the vet stay. It could also take some time to get the appetite stimulant to kick in. But surely try the baby food meat - and it wouldn't hurt to try human canned tuna (or chicken) in water either. FortiFlora, which is a probiotic, but really works more as a food enticer is available at most pet stores. Also has worked for Feeby when she has been reluctant to eat.
Thank you for the suggestions!! That really helps

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s finally eating! Per vet instructions im only supposed to feed her 2-3 tablespoons of food, then wait 2 hours, and if she doesn’t throw it up I can feed her more. I got some canned tuna, heated it up, and she immediately ate it all! Hopefully she holds it down and I can feed her more later. The only thing I’m worried about is that in an hour I have to give her the Metronidazole and I hope that doesn’t make her throw up .