9 Days Post Spay

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

This is another one of those "Hey, does this look okay to you?" spay scar posts, ha ha.

We've had our lovely little Mabel in a onesie for 9 days after her spay surgery, and took it off this morning (hoping for good). She had a pretty good grooming session, which was to be expected, and of course went to "clean" the incision site. The pictures below are about 30 minutes from each other, just before taking her out of the onesie and after grooming. Even though I stopped her from licking the wound as much as I could, she got several good licks in.

It seems she's gotten much of the glue off (vet did internal dissolving stitches with glue on the outside) and maybe irritated the area a little, but the incision looks mostly closed? I've sent these pics to the vet also, but just curious what everyone thinks. I'm hoping after she gets over the "I'm free, time to clean myself!" period she'll leave it alone to heal. Right now she's chill. But we can always put the onesie back on — even though she reallllly hated it.

Mabel-spay-before.jpg Mabel-spay-after.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness, it must have been itching like crazy - it looks like she really got in a couple good ones before you were able to distract her LOL.

I dunno, I think it's ok but definitely rely on what the vet says :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know! I swear I turned around for just five minutes!

Vet isn't too alarmed, thankfully. The surgical nurse thinks she needs to wear her onesie for 2-3 more days. They don't think she could open the incision but if she would start to chew on it she might irritate it.

So later today we'll try to weasel her back into the onesie. The incision isn't quite as pink at the moment though since she's not actively bothering it now. Mostly just happy to be able to move and stretch fully!

Poor girl, she'll not be happy with us. It took her a week to get to the stage of being SORT OF adjusted to wearing it (picture is from yesterday). For days she was walking backwards or not walking at all, haha.

Mabel_4370.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
New pic at the end of the day! She hasn't bothered it much after the initial grooming, so it's less red and seems better to me — though now she's been playing and running again! I imagine the internal stitches are healed enough that a little play won't be an issue. At least I hope!

If she continues to leave it alone we MAY just let it go from here. She's so terribly unhappy in the onesie and is like a new, happy kitty today!

Attachments