8 Sick Foster Kittens.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 8-3 1/2 week old kittens. They were constipation when I got them at two weeks once we dealt with that they all began to have yellow diarrhea. It's going over week since they have had diarrhea and some with bright red blood. They have been on Albon for four days now with no real improvement the vet also started them on probiotics and panacur. ( The place I foster through does not have the ability to run many tests they suspect coccidia or an overgrowth of bacteria or worms) They all have quite an appetite and are gaining weight. I'm using Pedialyte in their formula. Their little bottoms are red and swollen I'm putting Vaseline to help. Is there anything more I can do?
They also seem to becoming a bit aggressive when nursing, they are teething I believe.
Any advice ?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fosters went through the same thing. At first, the shelter thought Coccidia and put them on Albon. After 5 days, they switched to Giardia and it was a 10 day dose of Panacur and amoxicillin.
Sterilization is the key here. See this thread Cat With Coccidia!!!
Have the shelter give you a probiotic for them. Mine gave me a spray for their little butts, because they will lick the Vaseline. See if they have that also.
3 1/2 weeks is a little young for them to be eating solid food, but you can always try it. Gerber meats (no onion or garlic) is a good start. Just remember to continue with the formula until they are older.
Also, non clumping litter until they are 12 weeks.

And since you haven't been a member long, Welcome and we must have pictures. Lots of kitten pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fosters went through the same thing. At first, the shelter thought Coccidia and put them on Albon. After 5 days, they switched to Giardia and it was a 10 day dose of Panacur and amoxicillin.
Have the shelter give you a probiotic for them. Mine gave me a spray for their little butts, because they will lick the Vaseline. See if they have that also.
3 1/2 weeks is a little young for them to be eating solid food, but you can always try it. Gerber meats (no onion or garlic) is a good start. Just remember to continue with the formula until they are older.

And since you haven't been a member long, Welcome and we must have pictures. Lots of kitten pictures.
They are on probiotic, they have the pellet cat litter. The shelter provides me with everything. They are just now grasping the cat box concept. I change their bedding every time I feed them. They are only in panacur for 5 days. When should I see a difference ?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Powdered KMR is best. The pre-made liquid tends to upset tummies. My personal favorite (if you can get it) is 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk. The goats milk has everything a growing baby needs, and then some.
If you can't get raw goats milk, then pasteurized is ok too. Just not as good as raw.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are on probiotic, they have the pellet cat litter. The shelter provides me with everything. They are just now grasping the cat box concept. I change their bedding every time I feed them. They are only in panacur for 5 days. When should I see a difference ?
It's hard to say. If it's Coccidia you should start to see a change with Albon in 5 days. If it's Giardia, maybe somewhere around 4(?). Mine were bad and I didn't see a change for 7 days.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had a kitten in my lap and with a wireless keyboard, I couldn't type.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh it's ok I totally understand ! These guys have diarrhea pretty bad it's going on 5 days being treated with Albon. I just feel helpless I wish I could do more. They get pooo all over each other it smells and looks awful they can't control it they will just walk with their bums leaking all over . I try not give them a bath because they are so small still.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Powdered KMR is best. The pre-made liquid tends to upset tummies. My personal favorite (if you can get it) is 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk. The goats milk has everything a growing baby needs, and then some.
If you can't get raw goats milk, then pasteurized is ok too. Just not as good as raw.
This won't upset their bellies even more ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay goats milk is mild. Raw has even potentially some healing properties.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll have to find some. Do they have it at Whole Foods ?

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walmart has the pasteurized. The raw I got from people who had goats. I've never heard of that store, but I would call them and ask. It's a small town, we don't have many stores.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dare I say I think there is a slight improvement. When they first started having diarrhea it smelled pretty bad but now I notice even though they're still having diarrhea there's no strong potent smell. I have one out of eight who has solid poop yah!! When I would feed them they would all have diarrhea right away now after I feed them I let them walk around and just a few of them will have diarrhea. Now it seems like majority of them can control the diarrhea as of last week they would just be walking around and it would drip out of them. I hope hope so much they are getting better !!

Karen77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a foster with the poop issue too. He smelled terrible, I can’t imagine how awful an entire litter of poopers must smell! I don’t have much advice, but when out foster’s butt was super swollen and distended from pooping so much the vet told us to use Desitin - like what you use on babies. I also bought some unscented baby wipes to help clean up the poop on him without having to bathe him. The Desitin really helped with the swelling.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a foster with the poop issue too. He smelled terrible, I can’t imagine how awful an entire litter of poopers must smell! I don’t have much advice, but when out foster’s butt was super swollen and distended from pooping so much the vet told us to use Desitin - like what you use on babies. I also bought some unscented baby wipes to help clean up the poop on him without having to bathe him. The Desitin really helped with the swelling.
In it! Got some destine today and I have been using the baby wipes. I can't wait till they start eating on their own. 8 is so much to bottle feed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the yellow diarrhea continues, ask for ponazuril or metronidazole.

The Desitin works well.

You may be able to transition them to Gerber turkey baby food very soon.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the yellow diarrhea continues, ask for ponazuril or metronidazole.

The Desitin works well.

You may be able to transition them to Gerber turkey baby food very soon.
The vet gave metroinidazole to hold on to if it doesn't clear up to try it after they finish Albon and panacur she was hesitant to do so because she said it can have some ugly Nero effects on them.

arudam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm starting to think they have distemper. I've noticed a few biting their back legs and tail. Sigh but I think the worst is over. No vomiting. Their appetite was great today they are eating more than usually following me around until I put them up. Their energy seems great. Some of their poop is still runny but not as liquidy if that makes sense.