8 month old pregnant kitten (really small!)/Vomiting

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's currently doing good now, however just gains about 5-8grams per day.

I noticed that mama cat isn't stimulating them long enough to poop, and so I tried to stimulate him. I think he's constipated. I saw this little poop that's hardened already and he was able to expel just a little of it - dont know if there's more hard poop in him or what. How do I help him poop?? 😭

i tried the warm water with cotton pad technique. I cant get all of it out because he keeps squirming 😭
I suspect his low gain, and constipation, hints he really gets too little. Because its rare kittens having mommas milk gets constipated.

I suggest get him alone time on his favorite nipple, so he is undisturbed suckling. If you suspect he hasnt enough energhy to suckle properly, you can put a droplet of glucose sugar / white caro syrup on his gum, indide the lip... It gives quck energhy.

As you cant handfeed, its difficult to give him extra water, nor extra droplets of olive oil; standard methods against constipation.

You could help him going by submering half of him in warmish water... And rubbing etc. Still water or even running water.
Of course make sure he doenst get chilled out.

Another tip, is to take a glycerin cone, same as for humans with constipation, cut out a thin slice, and put in. This will loose and make softer the poo in anus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I'll get some glycerin cone and try that.

as for the undisturbed feeding, is it safe for me to cage mom and him just for a short while, while he is nursing? The thing is, i think he hasnt even has his fair share yet but mama gets out of the box after 20 mins or so of feeding.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. I got him alone with mom without caging, just right after the other three finished nursing.

meanwhile i also bought some glycerin sticks that I will be using later on the baby. Hope that works!! Does it work instantly on a kitten?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would hold off using the glycerin for now on such a tiny kitten. Give the kitten another couple days to drink more milk and see if she poops more.

If you do use the glycerin, you must shave a tiny piece off to insert. It usually takes up to 30 minutes to begin to dissolve and soften the poop, but you would also need to gently stimulate the kitten’s bottom.

As mentioned, kittens on mom’s milk are not usually constipated, so give the kitten time to hydrate.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like im not doing the glycerin thing correctly, it keeps falling off. Sorry, i didnt see your comment earlier, Sarthur2! But yeah the glycerin I used was super tiny, thats why I think it keeps falling off. I'm nervous about it as well so Ill just keep it as last resort for now

i have a cat that had the same instance before, he was handfed and constipated at about 2-3 weeks old I think, and the vet prescribed him some lactulose. Would you recommend I give him lactulose if he doesnt poop in a couple of days, and if so, what would be the amount?

i would reach out to the vet tomorrow I think, but just wanted to get some thoughts first!

Last edited:

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are 9 days old today. However I noticed mom's teats arent full like the past days. How long does it usually take for milk to replenish in her system? I got some KMR and now trying to handrear the kittens, because it looks like they cant get ahold of the milk out of mama...

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The 3 kittens are ok with it I guess, just need to get them used to it. The ginger one however doesnt want to, he keeps squirming. When he's nursing on mama he also falls asleep then when i weigh him after feeding, it just goes up a gram sometimes retains the same.

ill let him rest then would try again in a couple hours

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I managed to give him about 1.5ml of formula but it took about 30 mins because I gave it to him drop per drop. He's sleeping now and im hoping once he wakes up he has more energy to suckle on mom. Mom seems to have more milk now, just by observing the other 3

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My mom cat is currently vomiting, multiple times in a span of an hour. She's currently vomiting liquid that looks like the color of her wet food and dry food.
Yesterday evening I switched her dry food - from Royal Canin mother and baby cat to royal canin kitten, same brand. She was fine yesterday, and just started throwing up now. In addition to this, she also spent the day just sleeping with her babies and nursing them, and last ate during lunch. It's already 9pm over her and she just started vomiting during dinner time (she didnt touch her dinner btw)

could this be just because of the switch? how can I comfort her?

I dont know if she's feeling better now, but she went back in her nursing box and started feeding her babies again.

I should also mention that she may have started being in heat again because ive been hearing her vocalize. Not sure if those are all connected

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A cat in heat will often go off their food, and a change in food can cause a digestive upset. However, the vomiting is of concern and you might try, in the short run, letting her have the food that seemed to agree with her. If she continues to vomit/not eat (which may or may not be from heat) you might need to get some vet care for her.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I left some of the other food that she's used to, but hasnt touched it yet. It has been about 8 hours. She threw up more, and noticed that there are streaks of blood in the vomit. I am very worried because this hasnt happened before. It's 5 am and I will be bringing her to the vet first thing later, but do you have any idea what this could be?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to get her to the vet. Vomiting blood can be from various causes and they are not all life threatening, but the point is that no one who is not a vet can make that determination. There is no home remedy and the fact that she is now not eating and vomiting is enough of a good reason to see the vet. If you still have the sample, you might try to put it in a plastic food bag and refrigerate it until you get to the vet so that they can see the texture and the clots. It may disintegrate before you get there, but it might be worth a try. Please let us know what you are told.

pipaythekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. We're done with the vet - they ran xrays and blood tests and everything came back normal, except for a bit of an elevation in her WBC, which could be due to the gastro irritation. She's given antacids to relieve the stomach, and an antibiotic. She's improving this morning, and ate a little bit. No more vomiting! Hope it stays that way. Vet said it could just be due to the abrupt change in food

Destinee1022

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let her stay on lap your main goal is also keeping her comfortable

How many did she have