8 day old miracle...HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, keep in mind his size. The vet told me to feed him as much as he will eat which seems to be an average of .5- 1 ml at each feeding so I am assuming that this is all his little belly can hold. I have been adding the karo syrup to his formula to help him poo which I am excited to say seems like it is working. I just don't know how to get this little guy over the hump and back on track.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does he get over 24 hours?

Based on .5-1ml each feeding, which is every 2 hours? He's only getting 6-12ml that's only a 3rd of what he needs. Really needs 30-40ml every 24 hours. But if that's all he'll take and he gains weight I suppose it could ok.

If he was premature his bowls might not be properly formed yet, another vet visit might be needed.

Last edited:

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I can try to feed him a little more by sneaking in a couple of extra feedings an hour apart from the last...if he will take it. I am just worried about his lethargy right now. I don't know what has caused this slump...I'm gonna try and talk to the vet in the morning to see what he has to say. The vet has not been to enthused by this little patient no matter how much he has fought, but I will MAKE him listen to me...that's what he gets paid for!!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he warm enough?  If he is cold he can't digest food and needs to be gently warmed up - he can be fed rehydration fluid and yes, karo syrup might help.  I don't know where you live, or how warm your house is, but one way to warm is to pop him in your bra...  If you use hot water bottles or similar you have to be very careful they are not hot enough to burn him. 

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/kittens/handrearing.html

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is plenty warm....I have a heating pad under the blankets set on the lowest setting...his ears and pads are warm to the touch so I know he is not chilled. I feel like I am doing everything right, but it's not making a bit of difference...His formula is pre-mixed in the can and I have been watering it down so that we wouldn't have any complications with his delicate stomach...(could this be part of the reason he is not gaining much weight?) I am warming his formula to just above room temp...checking it against my wrist (just as I did for my own children when they were babies.) He is on antibiotics (Biomox 50 mg/ml 5 drops 2x a day for 10 days) which is kept refrigerated...I was afraid to give it to him cold so I hold the dropper between my fingers to warm it up a bit before administering it. I am stimulating him before and after feedings and rubbing his belly and back in downward strokes to help his digestion and gas issues. I have tried unsuccessfully burping him..he has yet to burp for me. Although he has pooed 3 times yesterda, the bowel movements were very small and unusual looking...not sure what it means. It is yellowish brown in color, mucousy and grainy in texture. Could this be due to the recent bout of constipation, a side effect of the medication, caused from the karo syrup infused formula, or caused by some other issue? Anyone have any ideas?

I just got a litte gas from him...little booger farted on me while I was rubbing his belly. His still feels terrible and is still bloated, but maybe this is a sign that the bloating is caused by gas? Is there anything else I can do to help him relieve the gas?

Last edited:

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I wanted to say what a great job I think you are doing putting everything into trying to save this tiny baby!!  I do want to add that I would recomend you get him on KMR ASAP!!!!  The Hartz brand does not have a good reputation and has been known to hurt animals.  This formula can be causing his issues and when combined with his premature issues it could be making it worse.  His little system will be having issues working as it is and trying to digest poor quality food will make it so much harder!  I know you are doing everything you can for him and I would hate to see him not make it if the food is the cause?  Could you call the pet shop and ask if they have it in stock, this way you do not have to spend gas to check?  Keep up the hard work and dedication!!!!

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fear the little guy is on a rapid decline. He is seriously dehydrated now...isn't pooing, doesn't want to eat and has a bloated belly. I am trying my best to rehydrate him, get him to poo...putting karo on his gums does not seem to be doing anything to help him...rubbing it on his gums is not even producing much energy from him. I'm afraid he is not going to make it. I still vow to do everything in my power to save his life...I will be there until he draws his last breath...whether that be today or 20 years from now. The vet doesn't open for another few hours and he is fading fast. I am in tears as I write this post so I do apologize if I am rambling. Thank you all again for your kind words and advice...I leave it in God's hands now as I have done everything to save him...I just don't understand why....why when I have done everything right that nothing is changing and he is still declining? I wish I had an answer to THAT question.

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look like he has much time left now. I have been trying to rehydrate him, but no success...his belly is getting even more swollen no matter how much I massage it...no poo today...he can barely hold his head up. If he is going to go, I wish it would happen faster so that he don't have to suffer anymore. Poor thing has suffered enough...he either needs to make a miraculous recovery or join his brothers and sisters in kitty heaven. I just wish I could keep him here with me, but that would just be selfish of me. I need to be thinking about his pain and suffering and be satisfied in knowing that I did everything I could to help him. I guess my best isn't good enough....SOO SAD!!!!!

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is so sad :/ My prayers are with you and your little man *fingers crossed for a miracle*!!

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sad doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now. I have called shelters to see if they can fix him up and adopt him out, I called the vet who basically said it is a lost cause, I called the Humane Society with no help as a result...my only other option was offered by the Association for Welfare-Animals...they are going to see if they can help put him to sleep. At this point it is the most humane thing to do. The poor little guy has fought so hard and suffered too long with one issue after another. It's time he finally rest peacefully with his brothers and sisters. As I end this post, my heart is breaking wide open.

lindz2785

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I'm so sorry to hear about Champ.

Thank you for doing all that you did for him. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Figures...I finally get his bowels somewhat moving and he ends up with something else wrong. This poor guy can't win for losing. He's trying to be so brave and hang in there...I just can't watch him suffer like this anymore. He can barely whimper his body is just so worn out from fighting so hard. I don't know what more I can do for him.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you get him to the vet one last time?  He may just be worn out and the swollen abdomen may be something teh vet can address?

tamratesseneer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's too late...He is gone...he fought his way into this world and just kept on fighting to stay in it...he just couldn't fight anymore.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry he passed.

I'm sorry I stopped messaging you last night, I fell asleep. But like I was telling you last night you did everything you could for this little guy. I was amazed that he held on for so long. In all honesty there was very little to nothing the vet probably could have done for him. He had a rough start and he may not have been born with insides that were meant to sustain him. When human babies are born that early we have all sorts of medicine and equipment to try to help them. We just don't have that option for kittens. You tried everything you could to perk him back up, he just wasn't strong enough. Its never easy to lose a kitten, but you gave him the best gift ever in his short time here... Love. He couldn't have asked for more.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear he lost his battle to stay.  Thank you so much for trying to give him more time here.  He is at peace now.

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they aren't strong enough to survive, no matter what we do. You did everything humanly possible for this wee one and he went to the Rainbow Bridge knowing love and kindness. I'm so sorry - I hope you can find a place of peace and comfort as you grieve his passing.

RIP little kitten - you were loved and will be missed

catmom5

Status
Not open for further replies.