66 days pregnant (roughly)

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, so my queen is on day 66 (if my calculations are correct)
The the last few days she's had stages of sitting funny, I have attached a picture. She's been licking her nipples a lot today, on Friday she had some weird coloured goop in her vulva (which I'm guessing was maybe part of her mucus plug maybe, but she was licking herself a lot. She got an increased appetite, and she's been laying in one of her nesting boxes a lot, she's also been making loud sighing noises at times.
The babies are very active also, does anyone have any clues if these are signs she's close?
20220829_193159.jpg
20220829_180945.jpg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat is very close! These are all normal pre-labor signs. She should go into full labor and have them any time now. Keep watch and keep us posted!

Do you have a plan to spay your cat after her kittens wean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat is very close! These are all normal pre-labor signs. She should go into full labor and have them any time now. Keep watch and keep us posted!

Do you have a plan to spay your cat after her kittens wean?
Thank you, I was thinking they would be signs, but I've never dealt with a pregnant cat before. Yes I will 100% be getting her spayed, she's an indoor cat and my kids had let her out, so I will be making sure all doors are locked after she has them 🤣

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
99% of the time everything goes fine, so just observe and make sure there are no children or excitable things going on around her. You will know it is labor by 'rippling' down her sides and her laying down and perhaps meowing. First time mothers often get exhausted and can't take full care of the babies, so have a warm damp washcloth available to take the birthing membranes off the kittens if she doesn't start licking them to stimulate them to breathe. Rub them with the washcloth, or make sure she licks them. All newborns appear dead when they are born and stimulation is needed if the birthing process isn't enough. watch her for her reactions concerning the handling of the newborns, most can't don't mind, but some do. If she remains calm between babies, no hard straining for over an hour, or obvious distress, everything is well. Please keep us posted!

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
99% of the time everything goes fine, so just observe and make sure there are no children or excitable things going on around her. You will know it is labor by 'rippling' down her sides and her laying down and perhaps meowing. First time mothers often get exhausted and can't take full care of the babies, so have a warm damp washcloth available to take the birthing membranes off the kittens if she doesn't start licking them to stimulate them to breathe. Rub them with the washcloth, or make sure she licks them. All newborns appear dead when they are born and stimulation is needed if the birthing process isn't enough. watch her for her reactions concerning the handling of the newborns, most can't don't mind, but some do. If she remains calm between babies, no hard straining for over an hour, or obvious distress, everything is well. Please keep us posted!
I will, thank you for that advice, she seems to be led down a lot more today, and when I'm working upstairs she is sat outside the door, and when I come down, she's following me and laying down, so I think she's very close

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So her bottom 'boobies' seem to be 'full' so is this an indicator that she's not producing milk and would this be a sign she's very close?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say her milk coming in is a hood sign that she is close. The bottom nipples are always the fullest and the most used. When she is very close, her stomach will seem smaller and the babies will quit being active because they are lined up in the birth canal.

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say her milk coming in is a hood sign that she is close. The bottom nipples are always the fullest and the most used. When she is very close, her stomach will seem smaller and the babies will quit being active because they are lined up in the birth canal.
Yeah, I would day her bottom two are definitely more filled than the rest, they're quite big compared to the others, I've just ran my hand over her tummy and the others feel like they're now filling which they weren't this morning, so I'm hoping it will be in the next couple of days

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As for her belly, I wouldn't say smaller as such but it's befinitely changed shape, so maybe in the next couple of days they will be here 🤞

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember i had one little female that literally looked like she was going to burst. She looked like a bowling ball on toothpicks. I was SO worried. I didnt think she was ever going to have them, it seemed like 6 months. She finay did with no problem, 8 of them!

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Woke up this morning to 3 kittens, but unfortunately 1 didn't make it 🥺 but she also still has one in her tummy, I took her to the vet and they did a scan, if she doesn't have it but the morning I have to take her back in. These 2 and mumma are doing great though, she's an amazing mum
20220901_181223.jpg

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
RIP little one :vibes::hearthrob::rbheart::hearthrob:
I know, its so sad, I think she went up there just now to go search for it 😔 she's currently in her box with the 2 kittens, I'm hoping if I leave her in there she will have the last 1, but its been over 12 hours since she had the others and I'm just worried she's not going to have it

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is acting normal and not in distress, it is not unusual for a cat to have kittens even days later. I hope they can tell if the kitten is alive or dead, if alive she may have it later. Im so sorry about the one kitten, it hurts......RIP sweet angel.

CatMum89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she is acting normal and not in distress, it is not unusual for a cat to have kittens even days later. I hope they can tell if the kitten is alive or dead, if alive she may have it later. Im so sorry about the one kitten, it hurts......RIP sweet angel.
I took her for a scan today, they said the remaining kitten had a strong heart beat, and if she doesn't have it by tomorrow morning to take her back in, I'm just worried about how much its going to cost 🙈 because I'm still going to take her in if I need to, but I'd rather she had it at home 🙈

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you know it is alive can you ask them what the harm is in waiting a few days? As long as she is normal and not in labor, it could still be normal for her to deliver it in a few days. I pray she has it tonight!