6 Day Old Kittens Dying

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you the best of luck with your kittens. You are doing the best you can and don't feel like you failed the other kittens. Unfortunately, this does happen, and it's a horrible feeling when it does. Don't dwell on it and focus on the ones in front of you.

BTW, everyone forgot to mention that you need to burp the kittens. Bring them up to your chest and use two fingers to very lightly tap.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have got good advices so far. Just to combine them together. :)

Get home an electronical scale preferably measuring in grammes. There are cheap such, or you can perhaps borrow one. And weigh them every day, perhaps even every 12 hours in critical situations as this with the weakest one.

This is teh easiest way to monitor development in kittens development, and spot problems, or get assurance its nice and well. Kittens shall add as minimum 6g a day, most healthy kittens add 10+ grams a day.

Ahyeb mentiond honey. The easiest is to blend it with this pedialyte, just a trifle on honey. Honey contains much glucose sugar / dextrose, it gives quick energy because it doesnt need to be digested. Goes into blood even already from the mouth.

By the same reason, if a kitten gets lethargic, you can always try to smear a water / honey solution on its lips and gum, and it hopefully perks up.
Not pure honey directly on the gum - a weak kitten cant lick it off. So smear sweet water instead.

And if a kitten seems dying, cease the kmr, give just honey sweetened water... Because in dying the digestation usually shuts off. But the glucose sugar is still taken in. This is no miracle remedy. If they kitten is dying for real it is dying for real. But this may buy time for the healing process to be fullfilled.

As alternative to kmr you can use full fat goats milk (ie minimum 2,8%) - it may even be cheaper. RAW goats milk is even better. Has some extra edge, but may be pricey and difficult to find.. This for both momma and babies.

There are many good brands of kmr. Best is probably this made by PetAg in powder, labelled as KMR (in powder).
Avoid the brand of Hartz.

Here momma seems to be the sick, I hope the vet knows what and can help her. Proceed to try and entice her to eat. The same receipts if so is: kmr, pedialyte, goats milk. You may need to forcefeed her as you do with the kittens...

Be prepared YOU must step in even more as caretaker of the kittens - momma perhaps dont manage to take care for them much longer, as she must heal herself.

Ps. If you feel unsure with forcefeeding the kittens with a syringe, for some it works nicely with a little sponge, type of make-up sponge. You drench the sponge with the kmr, and kitten suckles. And you drop on more kmr with the syringe as the kittens suckles.
More difficult to see exactly how much they eat, but as said - for some it works nicely. May be worth a try.

Keithtx Keithtx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update
Took the to vet they were dehydrated had fleas mom has tape worms which we discovered after coming home
The little orange one died an hour after going to the vet
We have just the one and he is the first born and strongest of them all
I went over to my vet and ripped into them and they want us in there at 5 at no cost to make sure mom and last baby make it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the mother cat eating now?

The vet could find nothing else wrong with any of them?

Is the mom producing milk?

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vet was very focused on the babies
the that died today was in very sad shape and she did not expect it to make it
hard thing for us is we have tried so hard only to fail these little babies and mommy

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the last kitten is exactly like one we lost years ago after my wife's cancer surgery
i am going to do even more to make sure he makes it
we have named him gryphyn bear jr
trying is all we can do it's just sad that the vets here do not value life as much as they do money
we are not rich in money but we are rich in love for all our cats
sine we could not have children these are our children but some people do not see it like that it's sad

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am trying to get my wife to join here as well she is so heartbroken right now

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the last kitten is exactly like one we lost years ago after my wife's cancer surgery
i am going to do even more to make sure he makes it
we have named him gryphyn bear jr
trying is all we can do it's just sad that the vets here do not value life as much as they do money
we are not rich in money but we are rich in love for all our cats
sine we could not have children these are our children but some people do not see it like that it's sad
I do very much hope he makes it . We lost our son a few years ago and our kitten is our fur baby so I understand ! X

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, someone trapped 2 young cats and threw them, trap and all, into the Sonic dumpster. THAT is failing the cats.
You, have not failed these kittens or mom. You are doing whatever it takes, and whatever you have to. Don't blame yourself because you cannot waive your magic wand and make it all better. You are doing the best you can.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What breed is Simba? Now that Samai is getting definition, she looks a lot like your Simba.

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
simba was thrown from a moving car on the highway he was very young and my friend saved him but could not keep him so we took him.
we think he is a maine coon

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one i use for my avatar is my baby he follows me all over the place

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all beautiful cats.
Have you tried Nutrical for mom? And did you get her some tapeworm medicine?

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have another vet trip to handle that in a hour and 35 minutes
hopefully once this is done today we can sleep it has been a long night and day for us

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, have you checked her and kitten for fleas? They are the main culprit for transferring tapeworm eggs, and they cause anemia.

Keithtx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bear jr is very dark hard to see anything i am going to have the vet check for them for sure
we gave belle aka mommy flea pill and poof they fell off her and died from what my wife could tell
we are considering give belle pedialyte same as bear jr