5 week rescue kitten stopped eating and extremely lethargic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
as said, give solution with both sugar and salt.
There is a possibility she has really too little water, ie is dehydrated.

What happens if you pinch her shin above shoulders? Elastic or??
Do you think I gave her too much sugar when she just needrd salt water? I gave like a teaspoon when her body weight is only 350g

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you think I gave her too much sugar when she just needrd salt water? I gave like a teaspoon when her body weight is only 350g
Teaspoon is a little too much, but it cant have any real negative effects. What is if it tastes too much sweet, they perhaps dont want to take it...

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Teaspoon is a little too much, but it cant have any real negative effects. What is if it tastes too much sweet, they perhaps dont want to take it...
so what about armpit? What does elastic armpit indicate? Also if I gave her the sugar and salt solution how long can she go without food?Also what if she stays lethargic for more than a day?
Right now she is breathing loudly

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You mean armpit? It is soft and elastic I think. But her head is still droopy when I hold her and not drinking or eating on her own. Looks like she's half asleep but eyes open
I mean above she shoulders. Or even neck in backside. Its there you usually see if they are dehydrated. But if its elastic so its elastic.

How are you getting fluids into her? If necessary, use a dropper. Just be careful, so it comes dropwise. Perhaps close the eyes, so they dont dry out?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean above she shoulders. Or even neck in backside. Its there you usually see if they are dehydrated. But if its elastic so its elastic.

How are you getting fluids into her? If necessary, use a dropper. Just be careful, so it comes dropwise. Perhaps close the eyes, so they dont dry out?
I don't understand what your saying sorry. I am using dropper but why would her eyes dry out when Iam putting into her mouth? Also Are you saying if her shoulder neck is elastic it means they are not dehydrated?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so what about armpit? What does elastic armpit indicate? Also if I gave her the sugar and salt solution how long can she go without food?Also what if she stays lethargic for more than a day?
Right now she is breathing loudly
this sugar and salt water; "pedialyte" will hold her alive even several days. She wont grow on it, but it will keep her alive...

And so, IF she is dying so she is dying. But if she is in a temporary crisis, this will buy her time to get throught it... As the other said; she needs a vets help... Even if you can help some with home remedies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't understand what your saying sorry. I am using dropper but why would her eyes dry out when Iam putting into her mouth? Also Are you saying if her shoulder neck is elastic it means they are not dehydrated?
yes, if skin on neck is elastic, she is ok Re dehydration.

Having eyes open the whole time, causes they dry out. With cats as with humans. Even if cats dont need to blink as often as humans.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes, if skin on neck is elastic, she is ok Re dehydration.

Having eyes open the whole time, causes they dry out. With cats as with humans. Even if cats dont need to blink as often as humans.
Should I try to force shut? She is breathing rapidly. I am worried how she will pee and pooo while she is in this state? Wouldnt she be intoxicated if she doesnt let go? When I first discovered her she could at least walk but now she cant. I think sugar solution made her worse. How much pedialyte solution should I feed her daily and how much each time?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much? Im not sure. Try to play it by the ear. Pretend its kmr; ie 9ml / 30 grammes a day. If she is say, 400 grammes it will give 13x9 = 120 ml a day... If you give every hour will give about 5ml at a time.
I suspect it will be less than this... You must sleep some you too... There about.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now she closed her eyes on her own. And how much sugar and salt in 9ml tsp-wise?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is more responsive now. Cna I give her milk replacement formula if she takes them?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Better wait a little. When very weak the digestion isnt working properly.
She is now back. She purred ran and meowed like before but she isnt eating much, just ate some wet food but when I tried to give milk replacemet she didnt like to have it (before she'd run into it and beg me to give more) Do you think she's lost her appetite? What if same thing happen tmrw becauseshe isnt eating anything. She just peed and looks like she wants to poo but is just sitting in the litterbox

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get her to a vet tomorrow?

In the meantime, hopefully she will continue to eat more wet food or drink formula. Watch her carefully.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get her to a vet tomorrow?

In the meantime, hopefully she will continue to eat more wet food or drink formula. Watch her carefully.
She is now eating and drinking milk formula well and playing normal and just pooped. I will watchher more and take her to the vet to get vaccine

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is now eating and drinking milk formula well and playing normal and just pooped. I will watchher more and take her to the vet to get vaccine
Excellent! Wonderful recovery! Good you were on her, helping out as well you could!

Wait with this vaccineing. She is too young for it, and also, better you are sure she is stabile and good and fully healthy, before you give any vaccines.

Vaccines are a strain on a young body. So be sure she is 100% OK before you let her get vaccines... So wait several weeks more.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will get vaccines later on as you guys said. But thing about this kitten is that she doesn't know how to eat. When I give wet food, she just sucks up the liquid like she would suck moms nipples and leave the solid behind and for dry kibble she just swallows whole thing without chewing and only eats like 2-3 kibbles and that is it. With the formula she drinks like 10ml every couple of hours but sometimes refusds to drink it so only drink 60ml per day. I think she isnt eating much and still looks weak and although she plays usually she seems lethargic. Is she a fading kitten? She's only 5 weeks and FKS can happen anyweek upto 8-10weeks I'm afraid she might fade. How can I get her to takem ore food everytime?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 5 weeks old she is not fully weaned to wet food yet. Continue offering it in pate form and mix some formula into it to make a mush. Also, moisten the dry kibble with formula. It will be easier for her and her siblings to eat for a few more weeks. Continue also with the supplemental milk feedings. You must pay extra attention to her for a few more weeks until she gets bigger and fully weaned.