5 week rescue kitten stopped eating and extremely lethargic

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 5 week orphaned kitten who stopped eating suddenly. She was fine until last night but when I checked this twilight she was barely moving and sleeping with eyes open. I tried giving milk replacement but she wont eat either. How can I save her?

kitten_cuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Run and get some baby pedialyte, the unflavored clear infant one. Also rub Karo Syrup or honey on its gums to bring its blood sugar back up. Worst case scenario run don't hesitate to the emergency vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Run and get some baby pedialyte, the unflavored clear infant one. Also rub Karo Syrup or honey on its gums to bring its blood sugar back up. Worst case scenario run don't hesitate to the emergency vet
I dont have pedialyte at home and I gave some sugar mixed with water but she got worse

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She can move lower body but seems like her upper body is paralysed. Do you think I gave her too much sugar?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She can move lower body but seems like her upper body is paralysed. Do you think I gave her too much sugar?
No sugar shouldnt have such negative consequences... I too think she is dying...

Otherwise, bought or homemade pedialtye, and some droplets of caro syrup on gum are what is possible to give.

Keep her warm, massage her, talk sweetely. Pray if you can and wish.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can you give exactly what I can feed her at home if I have already gave a teaspoon of sugar dilute in about 1/4cups of water? I need to give her salt solution as well?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
can you give exactly what I can feed her at home if I have already gave a teaspood of sugar dilute in about 1/4 of water? I need to give her salt solution as well?
Yes, a little salt, all these sugar solutions should be with salt... not too much, you shall really dont feel salt taste, and barely sweet taste.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is a homemade pedialyte sort off... Really its WHO basic recipe.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She can actually move her upper body as well but she's not eating anything and just breathing with her eyes open

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF she do recovers, my recommendations will be you continue with goats milk. Preferably raw, but almost any goats milk should do. Kittens manage goats milk better than many a kmr.

but for the time going, proceed with this homemade pedialyte. Because when she is weak, her intestines arent working properly, but sugar goes in into blood anyway.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She kicks me when I try to touch her. Do you think she is coming back from hypoglycemic shock?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she went without food for like 6 hours last night because I forgot to put out wet food, before that she was perfectly healthy. Do you think sugar solution is enough to get her back or I need to give salt solution as well?. What if I give her too much water when she cant even pee on her own now?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
as said, give solution with both sugar and salt.
There is a possibility she has really too little water, ie is dehydrated.

What happens if you pinch her shin above shoulders? Elastic or??

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
as said, give solution with both sugar and salt.
There is a possibility she has really too little water, ie is dehydrated.

What happens if you pinch her shin above shoulders? Elastic or??
You mean armpit? It is soft and elastic I think. But her head is still droopy when I hold her and not drinking or eating on her own. Looks like she's half asleep but eyes open