5 week old kitten looks like she's only 2 weeks old

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
She is going to be so pretty!  I love her fur color.
  This baby has had such a rough start, she deserves to be coddled and pampered!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The test came back as roundworm. All of the babies start a medication tomorrow.

Here is a pic of Ellie wanting to play. She is doing phenomenal.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Wonderful news on your Ellie!! I have had two orphans who took a long time to grow and develop. They both lived to maturity but the female, Polly, always remained very small. At 2 years old, she was the size of a 12 week old kitten. My other kitten, Trucker, had down instead of fur for the longest time and people called him the "wombat kitten" - when he was about a year old, he went through a growth spurt and grew to normal size. Thank you for the pix - your kitties are adorable and you are a real angel for helping them live and thrive!

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question about Ellie's brother Motly (pictured).
He went to the vet today because he had blood in his stool. Come to find out it was just colitis and an upset stomach. However he went at 3 o'clock and stop shaking until probably 8:30-9 o'clock tonight. He won't leave Mama's side. He played a little but not much. He didn't eat much. All he wants to do is sleep. He has always been a mama's boy but not to this extreme?

We are worried about what he's going to do when he gets adopted. He was away from Mama and the other babies for no more than an hour and he did not handle it well at all. Any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy. Poor little fellow. The vet visit wore him out and was traumatic. It's upsetting to see them so frightened that they shake.

Is there any way he can stay with his mom for good? If not, he is nowhere near ready to be separated from her anytime soon.

I have 2 now-grown kittens who were just like that, and who still are extremely close with their mom. Both still have to be in a carrier with their mother when being transported, or they cry terribly. There are two others in the litter who are more independent, though the entire family is very close. Luckily, they are all staying with me forever.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am of course totally in love with Ellie. Our Mercy was 4 months old and very small she was taken in as a foster at 4 weeks. She is only about 8lbs but she did catch up on all her motor skills and is very healthy. I'm glad you're keeping her.

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Runt and Michiva are independent. However, Michiva cries when he realizes he is by himeself. So we were trying to adopt Motly and Michiva together with a very good friend of mine.

I cannot keep them. I have 3 cats already including Ellie and a special needs dog.

My only other option is to let my friend adopt Michiva and Runt and try and find a home for Momma and Motly together, which i dont think will be easy to do.

Oh boy. Poor little fellow. The vet visit wore him out and was traumatic. It's upsetting to see them so frightened that they shake.

Is there any way he can stay with his mom for good? If not, he is nowhere near ready to be separated from her anytime soon.

I have 2 now-grown kittens who were just like that, and who still are extremely close with their mom. Both still have to be in a carrier with their mother when being transported, or they cry terribly. There are two others in the litter who are more independent, though the entire family is very close. Luckily, they are all staying with me forever.

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ellie is now 12 weeks and weighs 2.5lbs. Here is an updated picture. She is doing wonderful. The other babies have been "fixed" and are still up for adoption. Momma cat will be fixed next week.

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have an issue with Momma cat and could use some advice. She is gorging herself on wet and dry food. So much she is having projectile vomiting. This just started this week. Any ideas?

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think so. I have had her the past 2.5 months since the babies were 2 weeks old.
We think it is the food. She started after we picked up a new bag of her dry food. So we changed her to Applaws and she has not gotten sick. I am going to watch her and hopefully the new food helps.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully that's all it is. If the vomiting continues, get her to a vet immediately. She will need medicine.

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news, mommas vomiting has stopped.
Everyone is doing great. Attached is a pic i took this evening of Ellie with her brother and sister.

Last edited by a moderator:

danu25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I would give an update. Ellie went to the vet yesterday for her 2nd set of shots.
She niw weighs 4.1 lbs. Dr G. Says she still has a very small body, but She is doing great.