5-6 month old kitten and bottom cleaning

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lynk has long hair and has bits left near his bottom.  How can I get him to start cleaning that and can I give him a bath?  He's rather smelly because of it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
In true TCS fashion, we have a whole 'dirty butt' thread 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/207425/solutions-to-dirty-butt

Not so sure about the original butter idea, but washing with a cloth soaked in warm water and trimming are both good.

I find that if I wet my cats anywhere, they just have to groom, so it's a good way to get him started.

Good luck!

acatcalleddog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe he has a bit of diarrhoea? If so, a vet can prescribe some paste to firm up the stools.

We have a similar issue. Our semi-longhaired 2-year old Bumble (a 'she' but we can her 'he' because of very tom-like behaviour!) has the same problem.

Because he's so feisty, it is hard to get near his bottom and underside to groom - but I intend to 'deal with' the bottom issue when he is relaxed on my lap and being stroked with my left hand, and then my right hand can untangle and clean the non-miaowing end! I expect a challenge...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In true TCS fashion, we have a whole 'dirty butt' thread 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/207425/solutions-to-dirty-butt

Not so sure about the original butter idea, but washing with a cloth soaked in warm water and trimming are both good.

I find that if I wet my cats anywhere, they just have to groom, so it's a good way to get him started.

Good luck!
I love these forums <3

And in regards to diarrhea, his poop is a bit loose but that's because I'm in the process of changing his diet from what he ate at the humane society to what I feed my two other adult cats.  Also I plan on changing that diet to something more healthy here soon too - so a few more weeks of it.

I did end up washing just his bottom last night.  He wasn't happy with me but he let me do it and then gave me the look of death.