49 days pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. And called the vet to set a fix date in 8 weeks.

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And we have 4 handsome boys and 2 beautiful girls

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Girls privates parts r closer than they r on boys

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well took Lizzie to the vet cause she wasn't wanting to nurse the kittens. Everything she did she would start crying and growling. Well it turns out she has mastis and got her antibiotics. Have to nurse them till she is off her antibiotics. I hope that she will be OK. And no more complications.

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everytime not everything

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks even tho she don't wanna feed them she won't let them out if her site. She don't care if I handle them. But I wear gloves so at least my scent don't pass on. She is cuddled with her precious babies right now all sound asleep. I hope I am doing everything right. Any extra advice would greatly be appreciated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A site for orphaned kittens may be useful for you, www.kitten-rescue.com.

Yours arent orphaned, but you must give them food yourself, right?

What food are you currently giving them? How are you doing it?

smart thinking about the gloves to not set scent on the kittens.  I dont think that is necessary, but if it makes you feel calmer, so do it.

Good luck!   *vibes*

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I must feed them till antibiotics r done. I am giving them users precision nutrition milk replaced for kittens the powder kind. None took to the bottles so i tried the syringe. The 3 grey and white ones took right to it no trouble the other 3 gave me trouble the whole time. I am just so scared I will lose them. But the vet is pretty sure they will all be fine. Which don't fully stop the worrying but helped a little.

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hartz not users.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Were they able to nurse off Mom at all ... Is she cleaning and stimulating them to go to the bathroom...

I think you are right to be worried. Newborns are extremely vulnerable. Are they able to sleep next

to her warmth.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say why the kittens cannot nurse... (sorry my questions mark isn`t working!) I understand momma was in pain but that should ease

after 48 hours. I do believe they should be supplemented but this is the problem....the kittens will forget how to nurse. They will expect to be fed

as you are feeding them and may reject their momma. Also, her milk will dry up without stimulation. Now, once they start nursing again, it will

come back, but you will then have to supplement until she is producing more. I would get them back onto her asap...

What antibiotic is she on... Is she still tender...

You will probably have to teach them to suckle again. It can be very frustrating but then again..so it trying to feed them from syringes. Some really

like to fight you for some reason.

I am speaking from experience and not one I`d like to live again.

I had a Mom become sick with fever and they ended up spaying her when the kittens were 2 days old. I had to feed them only 24 hours..and they

forgot how to nurse and didn`t recognize mom because she smelled so much like antibiotics and iodine.

Are there some pain meds he could give her that would be safe for babies...then it wouldn`t hurt to nurse...

Sorry...just don`t want this to turn out badly.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first mother cat I had was rushed to the vet for an emergency c-section. She couldn't nurse the kittens because her milk would not drop and I had to feed these tiny little kittens, I spent most of the night one the phone with the emergency vet and the next morning because the kittens were not taking to the bottle. I got lots of support and tips from both vets. I found that having a drop on the nipple when you put it in their mouth and wiggling it around in their mouths will stimulate them to start suckling. Is the milk warm, if it is not that could be part of the problem. Also I would potty them before and after you feed them, sometimes a kitten wont nurse if it has to go potty, and they always seem to be able to go afterwards. My kittens were weird and had favorite nipples and would nurse best from different types of nipples so you could try getting different kinds. One of my kittens would only latch on if I stroked it while I nursed it. Also does the milk come out easily but not too easily from the bottle, if they suck and suck and don't get anything out they usually give up. I would keep trying with the bottle it is safer than using the syringe. I wouldn't worry abut them forgetting how to nurse it is pretty instinctual, mine were trying to nurse from their mom right after surgery and continued until they were weaned. My mom started getting minimal milk in 2 weeks after the kittens were born, but she never caught up enough to actually nurse them herself.

Also I rescued a mother cat from the shelter and the whole bunch came to me with awful URI's, the mother and the kittens were on antibiotics. The kittens couldn't smell so they didn't nurse and I had to step in, although I lost all of my kittens but one (from the illness so don't be scared), the last kitten started nursing again when her little nose started to clear up, and she went a little over a week without nursing from mom.

So as long as Lizzy's milk doesn't dry up then she will be fine to nurse again as soon as she feels better.

Oh and I never wore gloves even with my rescues who had just met me, they were all just fine with taking care of the babies after I had handled them. As long as Lizzy is fine with you handling them i doubt you have anything to worry about, it sounds like she trust you.

Last edited:

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well i called the vet today cause Lizzie wasn't really wanting the kittens messed with. She said to go ahead and let her nurse all she wants but also supplement with the formula some so that she don't get so stressed out cause it hurts her to nurse them. It only bothers her when they first try to latch on cause they r trying to find the nipple. And it also hurts her when they get to moving again on them( fighting over a nipple). But once they r latched on and still she don't care. She goes in again tomorrow. She is doing good with the amoxicillin today is the second day and it seems to already be working. She's sitting there letting them nurse and not getting up everytime she starts hurting. But she is such a good mom. Never gets to far or stays gone to long and constantly cleaning them. Especially with the pain she is in she still sits there. She is going in for a check up and since she really don't want help with her kittens. The vet is gonna see about a pain Med for her. But we will see. I will update more tomorrow. But on a good note everything else is fine she's still eating drinking and using her litter box. And the kittens have a big round plump belly.

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lizzie is doing better today. They gave her another Med to mix with her antibiotics and gave her a pain shot that should last her 48 hours. Since she had the shot she is more relaxed and the kittens r nursing without hurting Lizzie. It's such a relief to her the kittens nursing and her not crying. One happy family now.

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Lizzie and her babies r all doing great. I have never seen a happier family. All the kittens eyes r now open. In a couple days they will be 2 weeks old. I am about to post more pics. They have all already found homes. I am thinking of keeping the little female runt. Just don't have a name. Can y'all give me some suggestions?

webb2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help naming my baby girl. Any suggestions? She is the gray and white one with a circle on her back I am about to change my profile picture to her.