4 year old male cat - VERY lethargic, won't eat, won't drink, vomiting

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the plane now, don't know how often and when I am going to be able to post here today.... Sending tons of vibes in advance for the day.... :hugs:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear he is improved. It is good that he is sleeping, as you said, so long as it is healthy sleeping. After dealing with so much, I can understand why every little thing out of the ordinary can be suspect. Anyhow I am thrilled that he is home because I think he will feel better much faster with you and his familiar surroundings. Once he is active again you will be worried about that too, all those stitches and him jumping around, augh. I would post a lot of vibes but my Toby is sitting on my hand in between the keyboard and my arm LOL. Toby sends his vibes for your boy :-) :-) :-)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Finally got caught up on this thread.  I'm  SO THRILLED that your boy is home and recovering.  Whew!  What an ordeal.  And I am going to check every doorstop in this house immediately for signs of chewing, even though I have never seen any of mine playing with them.  I wouldn't put it past my Stinkpot to do something like that at all

BTW, years ago we had a cat on a feeding tube for HL, and after awhile, he purred while getting fed
It was quite a bonding experience for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's still doing good today, taking some treats but still sleeping a lot.  He jumped up on our bed this morning to sleep between us so that's a good sign.  No more vomiting and he looks more alert when he is awake.  Liver biopsy came back today.. totally normal.  So hopefully he will be back to form here in a few days!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd want to sleep a lot too, after something like that! But it's just GREAT to hear he's looking more alert, came to bed for some snuggles, is using the box, eating treats, liver looks good, and he's keeping everything down! :D :D :D :D :D Keeping up the healing vibes.... but I suspect your boy will be back in form soon enough now. :rub: :D :clap:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's just absolutely wonderful news!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
More vibes for your boy :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:, hugs for the parents! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he is doing well and being home is good for him.  Excellent news about the liver biopsy!

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took him in for a follow up, everything still normal.  I bought a different type of food today and he ate on his own so that's very very good!  He was much more active today but I just gave him his anti-nausea and it really knocks him out.  He's definitely on the mend though!

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Such wonderful news!!! I could not be more happy, thank goodness he really pulled through. 

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very pleased everything turned out well and you will soon have your "old" Cage back.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my morning update, he's doing "well."  He's very slow right now but that's normal considering everything.  They are retesting his blood again and will call me in a while with the results.  They gave him his first food through his tube in 6 days and there has been no vomiting since yesterday morning.  I'll update after I see him tonight.

YAY !!!  Great update!  Thanks for keeping us posted
  And more vibes for continued recovery

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give an update... He's almost totally back to normal but is much friendlier than he was before.  I don't know if he realizes how close he came to not making it.  The only issue that remains is he is barely eating on his own.  Just a couple bites here and there but he's getting quite a bit of food through the tube so maybe he's just not hungry.  We have a follow up with the vet tomorrow to change out bandages and such so I'll bring it up.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, SO glad to hear the wonderful news!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

How much are you feeding him through the tube? I suspect he's just not hungry. The vet may either remove it, or you may need to scale down how much food you give through the tube, so he starts feeling hungry and eats more (and more) on his own as you feed him less through the tube.

But definitely best to chat with the vet about it! :bigthumb:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yey! Great news! :clap:
That's actually pretty common, I hear.... The vets don't take the feeding tubes until he is eating a good amount on his own.... Usually you need to start feeding him less on the tube, to make him feel hunger, always offering him food orally first, then feeding him via the tube afterwards. So, let him go hungry, have him eat in his own, then complete via tube feeding.
If you just remove the tube all of the sudden without transitioning him back at least somewhat, he risks going right back into the HL cycle; no good.... :vibes:

Last edited:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that he is doing better!! He's been through so much and so have you! Very happy to hear the good news :-)