4 Week Old Kitten Losing Weight/weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a dsh cat, inigood health, vaccinated, wormed etc.
She gave birth to 3 kittens on 21/2/18,all went well and they were thriving. Just over a week ago when they were 3 1/2 weeks old over a couple of days I noticed two were growing really well but one tango looked way smaller in comparison , 3 days before this they were equal in size. It was a weekend vet closed so i got kmr from pet store and first tried taking bigger two away for periods and leaving small one to feed alone, Monday morning I weighed him he was 253 g, the day before was 274,took to vet and was told he looked healthy so no worries there but a bit dehydrated and underweight , advised to keep away from mum and feed kmr every 3-4hours.this went ok but after three days weight had dropped to 223g,and tummy was massive bloated, vet told me not to stimulates toilet to him as he should be doimg it himself but i think he couldn't and was why tummy was bloated, i have a cat who is nursing a litter of one she is an excellent mum so i put him with her two days ago she is caring for him well and his tummy has gone down perfect, she is feeding him, however he his still losing weight today is 217g. But he looks fine apart from small and weaker than his siblings, any advice would beappreciated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, this is worrisome. It’s good he’s with the other mama.

It’s possible he has a genetic defect and may not make it, or he may have just had a rough start and once he gets over this hump he’ll be fine.

If he continues to lose weight today you’ll need to begin supplementing him asap every 2 hours to help him out. You may want to start right away anyway.

By the way, kittens this age, and especially this small, are not necessarily able to go poop and pee on their own.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the other mama is caring for him, let her, but I would still supplement until he starts gaining. Like said above, it may be a genetic thing and not much can be done, but he could also just be unwell and start to improve, My prayers for him......

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many vets arent good with small kittens. This isnt.

I agree you must supplement. He is perhaps a weak suckler, but with syringe its just to swallow.

Can you get raw goats milk? What formula do you use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just weighed him he has lost more now only 2-3g,ive just fed him 20ml kmr, he drank it well, I will keep this up every few hours and put straight back with other mum cat, i got beapher kmr from pets at home, is this good enough would you guys say? I do not have goats milk, would this be likely to help I've never used it before, but will try anything for him, what would u recommend re amounts of kmr per feed, and to note his genitalia seems to stick out in a round lump I thought this could be cos hesh so thin but thought would mention, thanks ao much for responding with your advice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Beaphar is fine. He ate alot! That’s great!

Feed him as much as he wants every 2-3 hours for now and let’s see how he does.

Last edited:

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really thanks for that I'll keep that up then, will check his weight in 24 hours thanks again much appreciated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure! Can you post a picture of his bum so we can see what you mean by sticking out?

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi yes will do asap, just gone to get him but he's feeding on other mum cat so will grab a pic once he's no longer feeding, thanks again for your help and interest will do anything to get this little man fit and well

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule of thumb is 8ml x every 30 grammes a day, and make even upwards. So, if he is at this moment 210 grammes, gives us 8x7; ie about 60 ml a day. If he wants and manages more, give more.

If necessary, give it more often than every 2-3 hours. With the weak ones whom dont manage much, its sometimes necessary to give every hour... What stands sometimes on bottles: every 4 or even 8 hours, is really too seldom. It may be OK for healthy kittens. Especially if you have work to attend. But its way too seldom for weak kittens or kittens i crisis losing weight...

Count for now YOU must take charge of feeding him his amounts, and his nursing is probably mostly for the pleasue of it.
Dont worry, momma is always nicest, so if he gets at all anything from any of his two mommas, he will take and get it.

If he wants the full amount of 60+ ml a day, it means, he really dont gets much from the alive momma cats...

And that is why raw goats milk is good - because it too comes from an alive momma, and contains enzymes and immunology things...
Powdered or canned goats milk is entirely OK to use, there are rescuers whom do prefer this rather than the usual kmr. But its really not better than this Beaphar you do have.

Although, if you by any reason must try and change the brand, and cant get another good brand of kmr, but do have canned or powdered goats milk, this will certainly be a good alternative. L Laura bell

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. If you get goats milk, you can alternatively blend it with this beaphar.
One of our forumites, kashmir64, uses this blend. PetAgs KMR in powder; where usually 1 part is mixed with 2 parts water.
Kashmir recommendds 1 part mixed with 3 parts goats milk. She tells she gets excellent results.

You can probably make something similiar with Beaphar.

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I've attatche some pics to show size difference , the white/black spots one is his sibling, also to see if anyone can see by his pic if you thing he may have something underlying. His bum is a little red too wasnt like it this morning, but his penis to anus area looks like protruding /round. Sorry hard to explain, it may be his weight is so low that theres no fat around area so it appears to stick out too much, he looked fine at 3weeks old he's 5 weeks tomorrow, thank you for the adviceaon goats milk I will purchase some tomorrow

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He really is tiny! What a cutie though! :lovecat2:

I see what you are talking about in the last picture. I’m not sure what to think at the moment, but as long as he is eating and eliminating well, we should wait and see if he grows into himself more.

In the meantime, you can apply coconut oil, olive oil, or bag balm (all non-toxic) to his bottom if it is red or sore from mom licking him.

I’m so pleased that he is doing as well as he is now. He’s adorable! :)

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK will keep going with kmr for now then put back with other mum cat to stimulate/clean him, will weigh him again tomorrow evening, iveI got olive oil I'll go put some on now, thank you guys, I'll update tomoz xx

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi tried kmr feeding since last night as the day has gone on he has got weaker he now won't take any kmr, he can't stand up, just laid on his side mouth opening and closing as though he is meawing but no noise coming out apart from a faint chesty wheezing sound, imI certain hes dying and gasping for air is there anything I can do

Laura bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His weight has now gone down to 198g five weeks old today

Status
Not open for further replies.