4 month old foster weighing around 2lbs - Ways to get weight up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor thing! She definitely needs meds such as antibiotics and a steroid. I hope she gets better soon. So glad you are getting her in to see your vet tomorrow. :vibes:That all goes well. Do keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor thing! She definitely needs meds such as antibiotics and a steroid. I hope she gets better soon. So glad you are getting her in to see your vet tomorrow. :vibes:That all goes well. Do keep us posted.
We were hoping it would subside as most kittens who come from shelters can get that kitty cold but it's not fully improved. We are definitely hoping they can figure out what she needs so she's back to her normal self.

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Jiji got much worse yesterday and we took her to the emergency vet. Good news is she doesn’t have feline aids but they were unsure what complication she could have. They prescribed her some antibiotics and placed her in the oxygen tank for a little while before going home but it was painful to hear her cry all night from discomfort. I am pretty sure she barely got any sleep. She isn’t eating or drinking at this point probably due to the pain and tries to prop herself up. She doesn’t really move either and I don’t have the heart to touch her when she is this uncomfortable. They said it looks like her sinuses are blocked and she’s just breathing through her mouth. How quickly do antibiotics take affect? We gave her the second dose today so it hasn’t been a full 24 hours. I just don’t enjoy seeing her in any pain. She also only seems to have put 0.2 lbs on (1.6–>1.8lbs) in a month. I was sure she was closer to 2 pounds but it’s disheartened to see she isn’t purring on any weight when she is eating so much..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor baby! Antibiotics usually kick in on the third day. Which one did they put her on?

Please get her to your local vet for follow up — today if possible. I’m concerned that she may need pain meds and/or cortisone for her lungs. She also likely needs sub-q fluids for hydration and electrolytes if she is not eating or drinking.

I am so sorry that she is not doing well and hope with continued treatment she will begin to improve.

bibi_Jiji bibi_Jiji

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Antibiotics usually kick in on the third day. Which one did they put her on?

Please get her to your local vet for follow up — today if possible. I’m concerned that she may need pain meds and/or cortisone for her lungs. She also likely needs sub-q fluids for hydration and electrolytes if she is not eating or drinking.

I am so sorry that she is not doing well and hope with continued treatment she will begin to improve.

bibi_Jiji bibi_Jiji
Last night at 6:30. She gets them in 12 hour intervals. Our vet has called to check in on her. I was able to get her to eat and drink a little today and her breathing is not as hard and labored now thankfully. If she isn't doing much better by tomorrow we will definitely bring her in for another check up.

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

bibi_Jiji bibi_Jiji
We are taking her tomorrow morning to our vet for x-rays and figuring out what else she needs.

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a very hard message to make. Jiji is now considered a failure to thrive. Our main vet pinpoints her closer to 6 months and her only being 1.8lbs and only putting 0.2 lbs on in the past month has concluded his findings. She has pneumonia, is failing to move, eat, or drink. She is gasping in pain and it seems to have gotten worse. As of now, she had IV fluids given, another set of antibiotics, and is next to me in a box being warmed by a heated pad. Her body temp is 94. Our vet, who I have used for years, does not see a good future for her but is asking for her back tomorrow for more IV fluids and a recheck. We are calling the shelter we are fostering her from to figure out the next step as she is not technically mine. I am heartbroken and feel she may pass any moment. This is even harder to come to terms with because I may be losing another cat within a year. I hope she makes a recovery, but right now, it does not look like it. Please keep her in your prayers. I am devastated with todays news.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the vet give any pain meds or cortisone? It seems both may help with her pain and breathing. I know they are loathe to give these meds to low-weight kittens, but with such a grim prognosis, why not try to help her lungs and ease her pain?

I’m so sorry this is happening. I would try to give her a few more days if you can. She may surprise you and turn the corner.

I had a cat I took in a few years ago who I seriously thought was dying, but with meds and round the clock care, she came around, but it took a week or more. She was not eating, drinking, or moving either, but would swallow the tiny amounts of honey water, meds, and finally baby food that I syringed. After a few days, she began to show signs of improvement and eventually recovered.

I will pray for her recovery this week!

bibi_Jiji bibi_Jiji

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give any pain meds or cortisone? It seems both may help with her pain and breathing. I know they are loathe to give these meds to low-weight kittens, but with such a grim prognosis, why not try to help her lungs and ease her pain?

I’m so sorry this is happening. I would try to give her a few more days if you can. She may surprise you and turn the corner.

I had a cat I took in a few years ago who I seriously thought was dying, but with meds and round the clock care, she came around, but it took a week or more. She was not eating, drinking, or moving either, but would swallow the tiny amounts of honey water, meds, and finally baby food that I syringed.

I will pray for her recovery this week!

bibi_Jiji bibi_Jiji
Neither were given but we are going back tomorrow anyways. This kitten is doing death gasp at this point. We want to see if she will react to the antibiotics.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely heart breaking.. Jiji was definitely a little warrior.. fighting until the very end. I am so sorry that she didn't make it. She is no longer suffering. She was lucky to have you guys fostering her. You tried so hard and showed this little peanut unconditional love. Thank you for all you did for Jiji.

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely heart breaking.. Jiji was definitely a little warrior.. fighting until the very end. I am so sorry that she didn't make it. She is no longer suffering. She was lucky to have you guys fostering her. You tried so hard and showed this little peanut unconditional love. Thank you for all you did for Jiji.
She was but I wish we didn’t let her suffer we thought she had more time. We will get her back next week. The only thing I have left of her right now are her two canine teeth. I wish I did more for her. I am so upset I didn’t catch anything sooner..

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I had a lot of plans for her when she would get older. We are just patiently waiting for her to come home. We hope to have another kitten in our home one day but this has been a devastating blow, to lose 2 cats in a year. I will probably be logging off for awhile so I can mourn my sweet girl and just wait to have her ashes returned home.

Our vet said she must have had some genetic issues, hence the lack of growth and not being as playful as most cats. I am glad she chose me in the shelter to be her home for the time being. I am so happy I brought her home and gave her everything I could although I wish I could have done more and maybe caught this earlier.

We have a nice place in our bedroom where she will rest. I hope Jiji and Moody are side by side in cat heaven and are no longer suffering. I truly loved them and I feel I did not have enough time with either of them. It's been painful to clean up her room and recount everywhere she was. In her last moments, she headbutted me as a way to say "I love you" and tried to nuzzle up to her doggy brother. Even when she was gasping and we were rushing her to the vet, I knew she was trying to reach out to me and I was able to hold her one last time before she ultimately passed in her carrier. It was the longest 10 min car ride to the vet. I don't think I will ever find a cat like her, nor like Moody, but I truly hope we can have a kitten in our home and have many years together.

Thank you everyone for commenting and watching this thread. Genuinely am so thankful for everyone's help. I just didn't think it would end like this. Please hold your pets tight. I wish I could hold mine one more time.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss---- rip little one

You're in my prayers for Peace and Comfort❤

Status
Not open for further replies.